Weather 12/18-12/25
41 posts
12 users
14k+ views
langleyskier
December 18, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Hey all, sorry the forecast is not up yet, I just got home from finals and my hard drive just crashed on my macbook so I am currently living out of my Ipod touch. I am leaving for mammoth in 2 hrs, will look at the data before leaving and post an update later tonight. Lots of interesting events coming up so it should be a fun forecast!

-Kyle
bawalker
December 18, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
If you need any computer help, let me know! I do data recovery on crashed drives/systems all the time.
Fleetwood
December 18, 2008
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
I am thinking of making a day trip to Wintergreen early next week with the hope that weather/conditions will improve. I've never gone up on the week of Christmas though. Will it be crazy busy there on Mon or Tue?

langleyskier - I am sorry to hear about your computer issues. I didn't think Macs crashed!
skier219
December 18, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
It will be busy, but you should be OK if you get there early -- can always bail out mid afternoon. I might try to ski there Mon or Tues, and again on Christmas. Christmas day is a great time to ski up there if the conditions are good -- very light crowds.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Fleetwood
December 18, 2008
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
Thanks skier219. I typically do exactly as you suggested - get their early and leave mid-afternoon. I wondered about Christmas day, but not sure if I can swing bailing out on the fam...
Abe
December 18, 2008
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts
Looks like they're calling for some snow in Canaan Valley Saturday night through Monday... wonder how much they'll pick up.

Is this going to be a lake effect / upslope type event?
BushwackerinPA
December 18, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
this is going to be for sure all rain sunday south of the mason dixon line regardless of elevation.

7springs has chance for snow but its not a good chance.

anywhere north of I80 will see 6-12 friday and another 12 on sunday.
comprex
December 18, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: BushwackerinPA

U are caravanning up, ya?
fishnski
December 19, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
There will be some good stuff up north but..18 to 24 inches of snow north of I80?...HMMMMmmmmmm...?

There WILL be snow South of the Mason/Dixon line!..After a chance to make snow in the WV Alpps late Fri nite (along with a few nat snow flakes mixed in) into sat morn there should be a decent day of skiing Sat. Then after someone wakes up Sun sore from that good day of skiing sat & is eating B-fast they will be able to see the beginings of the snow that will kick in sun Aft/eve. There will be a COLD few inches of fluff by mon morn with snow trailing off as the day goes on...watching for a white Christmas!
Abe
December 19, 2008
366 posts
Hmm... since I have off work maybe I'll have to hit up CV on Sunday & Monday wink
fishnski
December 19, 2008
3,530 posts
Originally Posted By: BushwackerinPA

Hey Bushwacker...How come Camelback in the Poconos...which is SOUTH of I 80 is getting dumped on?......just messin with ya..Camelback is a couple of miles south of I 80!...If they can keep the Sleet & Freezy stuff away they might get more than 6 to 12 But They won't get the 12 on Sun...Just my Uneducated guess..

PS..Still waiting for my 1st Customer at Andys Ama-Pro weather Svc...Its going to be...BIG!
BushwackerinPA
December 19, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
sorry remember I am on the western side of the state.

I am more likely to go to Holiday Valley 2.5 hours away over camelback which is 6.
Abe
December 19, 2008
366 posts
NWS is forecasting 4-8" of snow for CV Saturday night, woohoo!
fishnski
December 19, 2008
3,530 posts
Abe..Abe..Abe..Did you not read my Wv Alpps F-cast which I concentrate on CV?..Did I not say that Breakfast & now seems like an early B-Fast on SUNDAY morn we will see the beginnings of the snow event?..I have a 99% accuracy Rating (Prove me wrong!)...Ok I'll let you slide since you are a dcski Rookie..you will learn Whitegrasskihopper!...I have read all kind of F-casts for this Event including Heavy snow Sat Aft..& now Snow Sat Nite...but you will not enjoy your frosted wheaties till morn!
fishnski
December 19, 2008
3,530 posts
Just Cked Camelback...Looks like they got 6 to 8 Inches. The Storm was rolling thru too fast!..This was the same storm that gave Vegas all that snow just Yesterday??..L-Ski is shirking his duties here...Skiing at Mammoth...Gag me with a Ski Pole!...Get back & start giving us some F-Casts!!!!!!..Who is going to have a White Christmas???...Skier219?

I'm running out of free F-casts...Ama-Pro baby!...Subscribe now...
skier219
December 19, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
OK, well the models are showing vastly different results for WV. They are all showing that New England will get a good dose of snow though.

One model suggests 4-6" for Snowshoe by Monday. Another suggests nothing at all. My Wx weather app is suggesting 6", the bulk falling between 1am and 7am Sunday morning. Can't see what happens past 7pm Sunday at this point, but the trend suggests we could see snow showers into Monday.
Abe
December 19, 2008
366 posts
yes - fishnski - it is looking like an early breakfast! I'm thinking first tracks at Timberline might be pretty sweet - of course that means I have to leave Harrisonburg by 6 am...
David
December 20, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: Abe
Hmm... since I have off work maybe I'll have to hit up CV on Sunday & Monday wink

Don't know how much I could meet up and ski yet, but I will be at Tline on Monday and Tuesday. Lets hope there's going to be some fresh pow at least on Monday... If Andy would just get his act together and make is snow in the Valley.....
Abe
December 20, 2008
366 posts
Hmm... looks like they bumped the forecast down to 1-2" overnight and 1-2" on Sunday. Bummer. I'm not sure whether it'll be worth the drive over there or not. I just got back from Massanutten where conditions resembled what you'd see in LATE March, thin strips of lovely BROWN snow frown
fishnski
December 20, 2008
3,530 posts
2 to 4 inches of freshies is not worth the trip?...how spoiled we get so fast!..The closer we get, the thinking is that this short lived Arctic blast will be too dry to produce too much snow...This is tricky if you ask me since the lakes are still in Buis...We will see, but I'm sticking to my original F-cast of 2 days ago saying any mis mash will turn to snow by morn Sun but will have to wait for some dynamics to trigger some heavier stuff sun aft/eve..

Watch out David..You seem to get caught skiing in cold snaps...It will be FIGGIN COLD mon morn..Tue should be cold to start but end up being nice...

78 down hear on Amelia Island (NE Florida) today...shifting over to the Tampa side with the next cool shot...I'm in training for skiing up at Canaan in Jan!!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Originally Posted By: Abe
I just got back from Massanutten where conditions resembled what you'd see in LATE March, thin strips of lovely BROWN snow frown

That's OK... I remember skiing St Moritz when the foehn hit and we got 12 inches of snow mixed with Sahara mud. I thought I'd see fluffy white snow and I got to see brown goo all over my new Bogner suit. When it dried up I had fine sand in my jacket everywhere.
Abe
December 20, 2008
366 posts
I'm just thinking that conditions might not be that great until Monday or into Tuesday... I mean when was the last time they were able to make snow in CV - a week ago? and how much rain have they gotten in the last week?

I think I'm getting discouraged with living in the south east...
fishnski
December 20, 2008
3,530 posts
That must have been so unreal Ibotta! I'm trying to remember what caused that phenom,some sort of dry desert wind combined with a weather front?.....Dear Abe..I live in the SE by choice..Be carefull what you wish for!...

Its better to jones for a dump than to be dumped on every day!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I'm a pilot not a meteorologist, but the foehn seems to be a periodic event in the Southern part of Switzerland and Italy as the strong Sahara wind brings sand and then picks up humidity in the Med. I remember it was almost zero F and the temperature went up 30 degrees in a day, accompanied by the storm and yes, ugly dirty snow. I remember the locals in St Moritz weren't surprised. My lesson is that as comfortable as St. Moritz is, I'll do Zermatt any time before St Moritz again.
skier219
December 20, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Heavy snow reported at Hot Springs @ 10pm.

I'm still seeing 4-6" for Snowshoe, but spread over a longer period extending into Monday. Looking good for a day trip on Tuesday.
Abe
December 21, 2008
366 posts
Hm... anyone wanna give me the report from CV at 6 am tomorrow morning wink
fishnski
December 21, 2008
3,530 posts
I've seen the "heavy snow" report out of the Hot Springs station many times before which I think is "Suspect"...it was 37 degrees at midnite up in the high country of WV & didn't get down to freezing till about 7am ...& yes there are folks having B-Fast & watching snow thru the window this morn! smile..started sometime after 730am at the Shoe & looking at the 815am Dolly sods cam in Canaan it looks like its snowing there too..nothing heavy I don't think...
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 21, 2008
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Starting from Raleigh for M'nut after lunch. Abe: what's the temp like in Harrisonburg this morning?
fishnski
December 21, 2008
3,530 posts
Oh..I forgot...HAPPY 1st DAY OF WINTER!!..& with this greeting, Ole man Winter is throwing in an Arctic Blast from H..ummm the north pole!...combine the wind with near or below 0 temps tonite & tomorrow morn & ..OUCH!...Thats the big story here..
David
December 21, 2008
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
with this greeting, Ole man Winter is throwing in an Arctic Blast from H..ummm the north pole!...combine the wind with near or below 0 temps tonite & tomorrow morn & ..OUCH!...Thats the big story here..

Where's the precipitation? Ole man winter left something out?? Subzero temps are no fun if there is no snow to go along with it.....
Abe
December 21, 2008
366 posts
I'm currently looking at around 38 degrees and some sunshine. We did get down to around 29 last night with a little freezing drizzle and heavy fog.
fishnski
December 22, 2008
3,530 posts
Well..its Mon morn up in the Alpps with about an inch or so reported with a little light action still going on. BUTTT its 5 below 0 & thats not counting the wind chill!...Doesn't seem too exciting weatherwise for the Mid Atlantic in our near future...
Clay
December 22, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
Well..its Mon morn up in the Alpps with about an inch or so reported with a little light action still going on. BUTTT its 5 below 0 & thats not counting the wind chill!...Doesn't seem too exciting weatherwise for the Mid Atlantic in our near future...

It sure is cold up here. Unfortunately from everything I see from my weather sources it's going to warm quickly and then rain off and on for the next two weeks.

Please tell me that you're secretly tracking some model that nobody else has looked at yet.... smile
bawalker
December 22, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
19* at the moment in Wardensville and Accuweather shows rain but no freezing rain tonite?? That seems off.
David
December 23, 2008
2,444 posts
Just got home from the Valley. I can definitely confirm that it was a bit chilly yesterday. I didn't see much more than an 1- 1.5" of new snow. When I got to the ski school desk at 8 they told me their thermometer said -8. It sure felt like it too. Luckily the predicted wind didn't show up..... Great few days to be on the snow. I will write up a little sumpin' with some pics later on....
langleyskier
December 28, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Hey all,

Really sorry about the lack of forecast the last two weeks. Shortly after adding this thread I flew out to california thinking I would be able to post once I arrived at Mammoth. Unfortunately, our lodge did not have internet access and this is the first time I have been online, not including a few times on a relative's iphone, in a week! I literally have no clue what is going on with the weather right now (weird feeling) I was originally supposed to be back in town on the 25th but was delayed 2 days due to a major blizzard. In Mammoth I experienced the most intense blizzard I have ever witnessed. Winds gusted to 80 mph and we had a total of 72 inches of fresh powder fall during my stay! I will look around tonight and tomorrow morning and get a forecast written up tomorrow.
Clay
December 29, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Well, at least you have a great reason.... smile
fishnski
December 29, 2008
3,530 posts
LOOKING GOOD!!...down here in Florida..another 80 degree day smirk...Actually, it looks good for the mid Atlantic in the near future & longrange for skiers...got to go...
fishnski
January 1, 2009
3,530 posts
Good Morning & its a happy start to the New year with 3 to 6 inches of snow from Snowshoe on up to the SW PA areas..Canaan Valley topping out with 6.4 & a cold 3 degrees this morn!... My Brother called me from the top of Blue knob last nite & said it was way too windy & cold to try the skiing...L-Ski must be on Vacation again!

Happy new year Hangover to some of ya!
fishnski
January 1, 2009
3,530 posts

ok..another day of tennis down here in FL..too much fish in the freezer to fish anymore...after 2 weeks of the sunshine State I'm ready for WINTER!!!..I just put in an order from the Old Man..(winter)...& it should be arriving this Wed & I think he put in a bonus pkg deal that will see the Alpps in all its winter glory for much of Jan!....WORD cool smile grin
fishnski
January 7, 2009
3,530 posts
Ok..a week ago, making a predict of a return to winter by today..(working on the 1st inch up at Canaan) isn't too impressive..BUTTTTtttt if we get 2 to 3 weeks of winter I think that predict will be astronom....ok..which one of y'all said LUCKY mad..

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?