Non-Choice Weather The Next Two Weeks
15 posts
10 users
3k+ views
JohnL
January 29, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Some non-choice weather forecasted for the Mid-Atlantic and Vermont over the next two weeks.

Not a severe warm-up, but several chances of rain. Some rain will help to consolidate the base in the trees, but hopefully we don't lose too much base.

West is getting hammered right now. Hello Utah! Hope Vermont recovers quickly, since I am scheduled to have the whole week off before President's Day Weekend.
fishnski
January 29, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
It won't be bad for the high country..Some rain on the front sides & some Snow on the back sides..The weather geeks are getting excited about a big snow for the mid Atl Alpps for feb 9-11th time period.....Stay tuned!
scootertig
January 29, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
All I'm really worried about right now is what's happening in CO for the middle of the month next month... I'm headed out Feb 16, through the 24th, and I'm hoping they get stuck in a pattern like the one over the last few days while I'm there!

aaron
Taylormatt
January 29, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
I hope so, my first trip ever to TLine is 2/9 & 10. I'm hoping I can take the Mojos and play in the trees.
JohnL
January 29, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Originally Posted By: Taylormatt
I hope so, my first trip ever to TLine is 2/9 & 10. I'm hoping I can take the Mojos and play in the trees.

The glades on the trail map (and some sections near them) are pretty well-cleared of debris. Some of the other choice lines are not, and your bases may or may not suffer. I've never trashed my skis at T-Line, but I wouldn't take my favorite skis into the trees.

Some of the T-Line tree lines (not on the map) are pretty tight; I opt for quick turning skis versus those with more float. The "tree" lines at Seven Springs seem to be a lot more open, but maybe I've not hit the locals-only tight shots.
crunchy
January 29, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: fishnski
The weather geeks are getting excited about a big snow for the mid Atl Alpps for feb 9-11th time period.....Stay tuned!

cmon' man, don't hold out on us, more details! im still amazed at how a storm can be predicted 2 weeks out, but you and langleyskier have done it before this year i thought.
fishnski
January 29, 2008
3,530 posts
You Know How far I have to Ride to get up to the valley Crunchy..I've always had to be a long range Snow hound to pick my times to head up. Now...I said some geeks were talkin...Not me Predicting! Only a computer has the ability to decipher a ton of info & to predict a storm for that long out & the long range does show a storm starting Sat the 9th. The old school weatherman like Gordan Barnes(Wtop channel 9) & the Dude before him could do some amazing F-Casting for the tools they had back then. Nowadays Everyone just watches the Models Which sometimes makes them Blind to some obvious turn of events....Maybe L-Ski or another weather Buff will grace us with some graphics & more Info...
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
If I remember correctly, it was Crack-U-Weather that predicted that January was going to be a big bust here in east. Warm, no snow, similar to last year. Boy were they wrong. I believe the "skiing weatherman" predicted something similar. Computer models are only as good as the geek who is using them and thus so far this has been an excellent January and these so called forcasters have been wrong. Now the SW is predicting cold and big snows after Valentines Day. Generally the big coastal storms have missed us but we have some nice snow cover in the higher elevations. I say it is high time for a February blizzard of epic proportions.
Roger Z
January 29, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Yeah, if "crack-u-weather" was forecasting a mild winter in the U.S., they blew it BIG TIME here in Kansas. Of my last 12 winters in various places (Indiana, Connecticut, DC), this is by far the most consistently cold winter I've experienced. Since Novemebr 20th, we've had a whopping five nights with above freezing temperatures, and we've had snow on the ground for at least 30 days since Decemeber 7th or 8th. When I looked out the office window yesterday and saw brown grass, I was confused. Fortunately a gale blew in today with another 1 1/2 inches of snow (and more in the forecast Thursday) so it seems more "normal" now.

In CO, there has been a pretty strong demarcation line between the north and south of the state. The south has been having a phenomenal winter thus far (Wolf Creek, Crested Butte and the like), but the north has been having an average-to-slightly-below-average winter. Utah has been ravaged since, what, Christmas? Seems the Jet Stream has been breaking from Central CA through UT, and then south into Durango/Taos or north up into MT/ID. On the whole, a good winter so far out west, though judging by the photos recently posted of Montezuma Bowl in A-Basin, some areas could stand for a couple more dumpings.

The cold weather is coming back east hard and fast, fellas. The temp fell 30 degrees in a matter of hours out here today, it'll probably still have a wallop by the time it hits the east coast.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
So far this winter in the east has gone pretty much as predicted by Accuweather's Joe Bastardi. Late Jan cold, early Feb to be warm, but not as warm as early Jan, then relative cold and much precipitation for late Feb and March.
Let's hope his is once more near on-target.
The Colonel \:\)
fishnski
January 30, 2008
3,530 posts
Damb! I Have to agree with you Mr Smith!..Brings a tear to my Eye..I'll still be watching my back on the slopes though...It was 42 in Canaan at 3 am & now at 540 am its in the mid 20's & Snowing. There was wind gusts of 45 to 55 MPH as the front went thru. Cold & Snowy today..Warmer & wet thur nite & Fri..Colder & Snowy Fri nite & Sat..& the beat goes on. Seems kind of ave for the Mid ATL.
kwillg6
January 30, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Stay tuned though... Remember the blizzard of 93, the "storm of the century?" I was working ski school at the shoe that weekend and we had 4' of the white stuff. That was mid March and in late February that year it was in the 70s, at home, and I had the top down and was doing some cruzin. We're due for a big one. Keep the faith! \:\)
skier219
January 30, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Seriously, if there is a storm of the century at some point this season, we need to get to the mountain ahead of time and hole up. You only get those jackpots every once and a while around here. I'll have my gear in minute-man mode and will be ready to go in late Feb and March! Chop-chop people, stay alert!
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 30, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Hey FNS we know what a sensitive guy you are! But we all agree on skiing, I assume. And don't turn aroung right now....
Please consider prayer, chanting, snow dance or what ever it takes to keep us white here in the Mid Atlantic. I will be skiing this weekend.
fishnski
January 30, 2008
3,530 posts
The Dolly sods Webcam Shows a 16 degree reading at 1PM & I cannot see any snow making at either Valley ski areas...Wuzzz Upp?..They done for the year??!?..Where do you Ski at Snowsmith? HV-7Springs?...Bet they are blowing there...

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.