Probably should have started here
9 posts
4 users
3k+ views
VolklYokel
February 20, 2005
Member since 02/20/2005 🔗
14 posts
Howdy good ski folk of DC. I hope Baltimoreans are close enough to be welcome here too. I've been a member of the PA Ski and Ride forum for a couple of years and just now discovered this one which may be better for being more local. I like PASR, but most everyone there skis the Poconos.

I mostly ski Roundtop, for convenience as well as because of the mellow/family character of the resort. During the season, almost every Friday I'll be out there (when I'm not on a ski week, of which I make two every year. One to other PA or Northeast hills and another to Utah).

In fact, I'll be in Utah from 3/2 until 3/12 and have plans for almost every week day to ski. Here's the latest snow agenda:

3/3: Brighton
3/4: The Canyons
3/7: Snowbasin
3/8: Solitude
3/9: Snowbird/Alta (I like Mineral Basin in the early AM, then switch to Sugarloaf and Supreme for mid morning. Take a lunch break at Alf's or the Albion Base Lodge. Then head back through Mineral to catch an early afternoon run down Chip's, then back up the gondola to play around under the Little Cloud and Gad2 lifts until exhaustion sets in. Its a full day, but one you don't easily forget.)
3/11: Brighton again, just to gain closure.

Anyone else on the forum going to be in SLC that week?

I look forward to being active on DCSki!

VolklYokel
KevR
February 20, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Feb 25-Mar 5

The first few days are non-ski activities but Mar 1-5, mostly snowbasin or powder mtn. Not sure about the others, depends on conditions, I guess.

There's a REMOTE chance I will attempt to ski Fri afternoon with my boarding pass at Park City, as they claim a free pass to same day skiers with a valid boarding pass...

Anyone ever tried it? Do any other Utah resorts honor this?
warren
February 22, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
VolklYokel,
Hey, I'm heading out to Utah from 3/3 - 3/6 (Travelocity long-weekend deal! ) Right now, I plan on going to Brighton the day we get there and getting the twilight ticket (we arrive in SLC at ~10:30!) If you see a guy with a Bright Orange Bonfire shell (with my DCSki pin on) and a copper-colored Giro Helmet, come over and say hi!

-Warren-
SCWVA
February 22, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I'll be out in Utah from 3/11-3/15. My plans are ever changing, but here is our tenatative schedule.

3/12 - The Canyons
3/13 - Snow cat skiing with PCCats (Proper paper work as been submitted, awaiting approval from central planning)
3/14 & 3/15 - Alta

Anybody else going to be out there at this time?
VolklYokel
February 22, 2005
14 posts
Quote:

VolklYokel,
Hey, I'm heading out to Utah from 3/3 - 3/6 (Travelocity long-weekend deal! ) Right now, I plan on going to Brighton the day we get there and getting the twilight ticket (we arrive in SLC at ~10:30!) If you see a guy with a Bright Orange Bonfire shell (with my DCSki pin on) and a copper-colored Giro Helmet, come over and say hi!

-Warren-

We might overlap a little, Warren. I'll be hitting the slopes at opening time. I'm usually good for about six to seven hours, especially with a leisurely lunch break, so I'll start looking for you around 1:30-3:00pm, in case you can get settled and up to the slopes that early. Unless there's good powder on the Millicent side, I can usually be found on the Great Western or Snake Creek Quads.

I'll probably talk to everybody wearing orange! I'll have green Volkl P50's on, a dark blue jacket and a Leedom helmet (dark grey with a rainbow sheen to it). My color scheme is really awful... I don;t yet have a DCSki pin, but I'll have a Pennsylvania Ski and Ride sticker on my helmet. It's black on white.
VolklYokel
February 22, 2005
14 posts
Quote:

Anybody else going to be out there at this time?

Sorry that we'll miss, SCWVA, as I return to BWI on 3/12. That Cat day might be awesome. It seems that, lately, the Utah snow is coming in dribs and drabs; and inch or two here, an inch or two there. I hope the jet stream shifts a bit and begins some snow dumps in earnest.
SCWVA
February 22, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Too bad we can't hook up. Alta has been getting some pretty good snow as of late. Hopefully it will continue.

The Cat & Heli skiing through Park City Cats is great. They have something like 36,000 acres to ski and ride in. I've been out with them on several occasions and I've had some unbelievable experiences with PCCats. If you get the opportunity, you should go out with them for the day. Kind of pricie, but you won't get that type of powder skiing at any resort. Fresh tracks all day long. Check them out at www.pccats.com.

I noticed you ski two different skis. Why is that? I have two pairs of skis, I use my P50's for bumps and steep stuff. I use my K2's for powder, groomers, and slop. What's your rational for selection skis in your quiver?
VolklYokel
February 22, 2005
14 posts
Quote:

I noticed you ski two different skis. Why is that? I have two pairs of skis, I use my P50's for bumps and steep stuff. I use my K2's for powder, groomers, and slop. What's your rational for selection skis in your quiver?

Thanks for info on the PCCats. I'll keep that in mind for next year and learn more when I'm out there this year.

The reason for the two kinds of skis is geographical. I got tired of toting skis back and forth between BWI and Utah, so I left the 2001/02 P50's out there last year and then bought the 6*'s when I got back here, late last year. Since I have relatives in the SLC Valley, I have "my own room," and its just easier to keep a set of everything out there. All I carry on the plane is a lap top!

The F1 P50's (a GS and downhill ski) I have out there are fine for bombing down the groomed runs, but are really the wrong skis for powder and off-piste. I may look into selling/swapping them and move onto something a little fatter, like a Fischer Big Stix or Rossi B3's.
warren
February 23, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Volkl,
Sounds good. Those are the same lifts I like so maybe we'll be able to say hi

-Warren-

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?