Sat.- Canyons
Sun.- ?????? Snowbird?
Mon.- Alta
Tues. - Alta
KevR
March 10, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
i was just there 2/25-3/5 ... they need a shot of snow! I'm tempted to say skip the canyons for more cottonwood area skiing. We mainly skied at Snowbasin/Powder Mtn -- of the two right now, Snowbasin is in much better shape. Perhaps by then they'll have received some new snow! Skied the Canyons one day and it was even worse, wish I'd gone into the cottonwoods area as they have more snow than any of the areas. You'll have fun regardless -- they have vastly more snow than here. Crush'll probably meet ya if you go to The Canyons.
Crush
March 10, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Yes it has been warm! It is just like last year but the warm has come 2-3 weeks earlier but that is a good thing .. as of Sunday the weather pattern changes for the good unlike last year where it just melted everything by April 1.

Actually yesterday I just yoyo'd in and out of the small terrain park playing with hitting the little jumps switch, which I am not very good at ... nice and squishy and forgiving (my butt gives thanks).
KevR
March 10, 2005
786 posts
yeah i was looking at the 6 day for alta and they are suggesting some chance for snow coming up. I don't doubt there's more snow coming between now and May 30! (closing day for snowbird if they can hold it!)
I wouldn't hesitate to go, but of course you always want some fresh pow right! :-)

During the week the Snowbasin/Powder were EMPTY, like having the place to yourself. If it warms up enough things are soft which is perfectly fine. The BAD is right in the AM if things have hardened up from the yesterdays melt and there's a crust on any soft snow you think you see -- i found it to be pretty mild overall and it was very skiable, with powder mnt being hardest/crunchiest of the three i skied at ('basin/powder/canyons...also good excuse to venture off trail to find the softer snow!) Right now (as always) I am trying to figure out if i can make it out for a long weekend in April. A yearly fantasy for me so far...
JohnL
March 10, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Hey KevR,

At Snowbasin did you get to do any of the moderate hike-to's? The Sisters, Lone Tree, or Middle Cirque off the Strawberry Express? How about the chutes to skier's left or right from the start of the Grizzly Downhill?

At Pow-Mow, what sections of Powder Country did you get to? Did you try the snowcat rides? In two times there, I've not yet done the cats. I've done the bus.

Per an Epic post, Utah has been roughly three weeks of snow, followed by three weeks of sun. I think my trip Mar 20-26 should fall in the three weeks of snow range. Please, please.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 10, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Tahoe had tons of base of good quality, but got warm as my visit ended on 3/8. No new snow for about a week. Slope surfaces were spring skiing-like (a little too soft and sun baked) by then at Heavenly (temp 55 deg at 10000 feet). Last night a skier returning from Breck and Loveland at Dulles airport told me CO was getting hard and wind blown and needed a new dose of snow like Utah needs.
KevR
March 10, 2005
786 posts
Hey, we have a NO HIKE policy in our group! :-)

Seriously hardly any skiing under Strawberry -- hard and crunchy, too much sun. PROBABLY some good stuff to the far right (skier's right from top -- is that what you are referring to?) But the folks I was with seemd to prefer John Paul area (skiers left from grizzly). I skied there and under Porcupine (Porky's) lift which was a bit more my speed/level on either side (powderhound bowl to lift, skier's left, not sure what the other side is called). I did work off Grizzly in the trees a little, not sure of the "chutes" you are referring to but describe away for future reference. Grizzly itself I thought was one cool ass run in and of itself but lots of good stuff off the sides of that trail and nice moguls at the bottom! (and talk about steep!)
I *did* see some folks working the cornices at the top of the peaks above John Paul/Olympic tram -- now that was some cool stuff! I wish'd i could have fumbled my camera out fast enought to snap some pics. But way outside my ability I think!
From the tram it looked like skiers left again had access to the big bowl on that side and some hiking over to NoName Peak had lots of tracks but I never saw anyone go down it. Figured it kinda had direct light most of the day and was way too hard in the AM, maybe later in the day it softened up, I am not sure.
BUT basically there was just a lot of the mountain I did not ski and that's what kinda irks me, although I did have fun on the easier off trail stuff. Two of our party are actually quite good skiers and were more off in the crazy stuff but seriously, neither hike much to anything any more. I *think* if we actually had a local or someone with your knowledge with us that new where and how to get to some of that, they'd definitely be up for it. As it stands now, under the John Paul is where we spent most of our time and also Powder Hound bowl.
I had this idea really that we could start a little databse here of ski areas and where the 'good' stuff is, so when you go out, you could look up your destination and see if anyone had any suggestions for cool places to hit!
???
Oh sorry -- Powder Country, we were only there one day and we hit it right before lunch. Conditions were pretty spotty (hard/crunchy) and we didn't see the sign into the Powder Country until about 1130am. So we just headed off into it and hadn't the vaguest clue what we getting into. It took another hr maybe to work down the ridge and then we ran into some folks back in there that were locals that helped. We had a mix of abilities so that made it hard too (1 guy was not likin' it). I didn't know there were any names to it but were almost as far up towards the main area of powder mtn as you can go. We came down ultimately in a gully (one side had aspens and the other had big pine) and skied down to a 'stop' and waited for the bus (which took forever 'cause the guy didn't think anyone was skiing there that day). That was somewhat annoying but actually a bit of fun. After lunch, we decided to ski under paradise lift we hadn't gotten too. The snowcats were not running either and no one but me was up for taking the poma up again and hiking a little to see what was over in that direction. I wish'd we could have hit again as I *definitely* found some untracked powder in Powder Country in the big pine stands that don't get directly light and this was deep stuff and would be fun to sniff out. The locals were like "oh the snows horrible..." But one guy we were with on the bus said "oh you just need to know where to look, it's there..." So that was last week, I guess its probably is gone now. I did talk to another guy and he said Powder Mtn usually had fresh snow 3-days after everyone else... so ya know if you get out there and get a big dump, I'd say hit your favorite and then work your way over to Powder for more of it!
Anyway, it was all good really, I just need to figure out how to get my self back there!
Crush
March 10, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
lol all u have 2 do is sell all of yru stuff, accept a lower standard of living, be more proactive in work hunting, but the payoff is 6 months of skiing in the best!!!! ... works for me!
Lietmotiv
March 11, 2005
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
Try solitude instead of The Canyons. Snowbird should be fine. Alta is always good. Park City area resorts aren't going to have as much snow.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.