Canaan Valley Ski Conditions
66 posts
14 users
29k+ views
TGV
March 28, 2009
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
Canaan is closed - prepping for the spring and summer.
Timberline still has snow with many of its runs still opened.
The weather is far from great...it's late Friday night, still raining on / off.
Sat should prove to be miserable if you let it get to you, and a total blast if you don't let the rain ruin it. Look on the bright side: if you get wet while skiing over the weekend, you'll have about 8.5 months to dry.

As of Friday afternoon, there were about 20 people on tele gear, 20 on alpine stuff, and perhaps 20 on boards. I found myself making several runs without seeing a single person on the slopes. Did we have fun? You think?!
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 28, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Boy, the season is winding down fast. How many of you have already been on the links? Shame on you, shame on me. No golfer here but I'm letting the dislike of rain overcome my love of skiing. I must be getting old. Still, I might yet be hungry for some whales.I really don't want the season to slip away. Closing next week?
JohnL
March 28, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Golf?

What the h - e - double toothpicks is that?

Mebbe something that Pens fans do during the Stanley Cup Playoffs. laugh

Whales next weekend, if they still exist... Openings at the Chateaux de Bonner Mountaine ...
fishnski
March 28, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
This year Smells of an after season dump at Canaan...April 27 1965: High temperture of 63 melts away last of Canaans Snowdrifts....April 28 1928: enormous spring Snowstorm buries Canaan under 3 feet of Snow!...24 hours of canaan bike race ...snow observed by bikers on mountain on june 6th...
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
March 28, 2009
2,038 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
Golf?

What the h - e - double toothpicks is that?

Mebbe something that Pens fans do during the Stanley Cup Playoffs. laugh

Whales next weekend, if they still exist... Openings at the Chateaux de Bonner Mountaine ...

Pen, Rangers tied 3-3 as I write. Caps don't want a piece of the Pens post season. Make that Pens 4 - Rangers 3 Crosby scores!!!! 10 minutes left.
Taylormatt
March 28, 2009
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
We were going to go to Tline today to get one more day in but decided not to with the forecast. Turns out it was a great day (at least here). I wish we had gone. I didn't want to ski in rain either, coupled with dead, sloppy snow.

I ski in enough rain here in the Mid-A...not going to do it when I'm not forced to work in it.

Oh well, stayed home and watched the huge win over the Ranger. Going to Rays MTB park tomorrow to kick off the MTB season.
TGV
March 29, 2009
337 posts
It was excellent - at Timberline. Somehow, the rain held off until 5:30. What a day, and great snow, but never mind that. Check out the fun during this RETRO day.
Go to www.visitcanaan.com and look for photo COVERAGE.
There are 60 action shots - including straight ski racing and crashes.
I'll be there tomorrow again, and don't expect too many people to be present as the afternoon unfolds.
BushwackerinPA
March 29, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Originally Posted By: Taylormatt
We were going to go to Tline today to get one more day in but decided not to with the forecast. Turns out it was a great day (at least here). I wish we had gone. I didn't want to ski in rain either, coupled with dead, sloppy snow.

I ski in enough rain here in the Mid-A...not going to do it when I'm not forced to work in it.

Oh well, stayed home and watched the huge win over the Ranger. Going to Rays MTB park tomorrow to kick off the MTB season.

rain makes the dead snow fast!!

going to timberline today!
March 29, 2009
2,038 posts
Originally Posted By: TGV
It was excellent - at Timberline. Somehow, the rain held off until 5:30. What a day, and great snow, but never mind that. Check out the fun during this RETRO day.
Go to www.visitcanaan.com and look for photo COVERAGE.
There are 60 action shots - including straight ski racing and crashes.
I'll be there tomorrow again, and don't expect too many people to be present as the afternoon unfolds.

It looked like a good day folks but I was at the local YMCA cheering my boy's indoor flag football team in the Championship game. I know that was more exciting than 'Drop'-ing the bumps with yunz.

The Game went into 6 overtimes (college rules). I thought they had it won but their opponents scored the tying TD to keep it alive on 4th. down with 1 second on the clock.

My son's best friend QBed for the other team and ended up running in the winning score. What a game.
fishnski
March 29, 2009
3,530 posts
Been watching the GFS weather model since last week which has shown cold enough air to have snow anywhere between 2 & 6 tonite...Well...its going to snow tonite into tomorrow morn. Bigdeal you say?...kinda what I say except someone is going to get a late season winter fix humping up the slopes tomorrow since they will be closed...& they will be loving the late Nordic winter fix....& I'll be at work....
fishnski
March 29, 2009
3,530 posts
Its 26 degrees at 5000' up at Beech mtn,nc...34 up at around 4400' silvercreek/snowshoe..& around 37 at 3800' canaan.
See how the temps are colder south to north?...works that way most of the time...South & west gets the cold first & then moves up & east...Won't be long now..frosty is back!

PS..Snowing like Mad up at MPC!..We would still like to go out west but it wouldn't be so important if we developed the Rest of the BEST....of WEST Va!
fishnski
March 29, 2009
3,530 posts
Some of you might be saying...DUHHHHH...of course its colder down south...look at the elevations...I say look at the latitudes...Dudes!
skier219
March 29, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I'm seeing 2-3" in the cards, with bullseyes on Snowshoe and Canaan Valley. Pretty cool.
TGV
March 30, 2009
337 posts
Yeah, it snowed. 2 inches in front of the door here at the house, and 4 inches on summits in the Canaan Valley.
The worst part?
The resort is OPEN today - with lift access only - no food or other amenities (I was told).
It's on their site, but they didn't really make it clear. I work there, and how strange that it wasn't mentioned.
Next weekend I say: show up, have a blast say HEY to ski friends, hurry and make new ones for biking, hiking, golfing, photos, or what-ever-other-friends you need.
SCWVA
March 30, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
So how was the Drop? Still covered with bumps & whales? Any non-skiable rocks or dirt?
BushwackerinPA
March 30, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Originally Posted By: SCWVA
So how was the Drop? Still covered with bumps & whales? Any non-skiable rocks or dirt?

bumps, whales and a fun mud slide at the bottom. The dirt and grass at the bottom are skiable during the rain.

Ill be back next sunday if they keep it open, they could stand to lose some of the bottom whale to make it skiable, there is alot of snow there.
jimmy
March 30, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Scott the rocks and dirt are all skiable grin except on Twister, had to walk a little bit. Drop was good, bumps & whales are still there but they're shrinking. Had to step or walk out at the bottom, Bush and Jeff kindof pond skimmed it out on there tails though. Twister is closed, washout in one spot, although someone is still holding safety meetings in the ampitheatre.

They'll be something to ski next weekend. It will be fun.
crunchy
March 30, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
ahhah!.. i knew i saw mr jimmy burnin down the mountain when i was on the lift sat. im still sore from following much better tele skiers down the drop all day! 1" of fresh this morning. tline is open today too cause they have some group coming.
March 30, 2009
2,038 posts
Yeah, it snowed. 2 inches in front of the door here at the house, and 4 inches on summits in the Canaan Valley.
The worst part?
The resort is OPEN today - with lift access only - no food or other amenities (I was told).
It's on their site, but they didn't really make it clear. I work there, and how strange that it wasn't mentioned.
Next weekend I say: show up, have a blast say HEY to ski friends, hurry and make new ones for biking, hiking, golfing, photos, or what-ever-other-friends you need.

Open today, what about tomorrow? Below freezing tonight and sunny and 50 tomorrow. Looks like the sap is gonna be running. I'll be a great day for some sugary corn on snow. I'd love to ski tomorrow.
crunchy
March 30, 2009
596 posts
Originally Posted By: Laurel Hill Crazie
The worst part?

Open today, what about tomorrow? Below freezing tonight and sunny and 50 tomorrow. Looks like the sap is gonna be running. I'll be a great day for some sugary corn on snow. I'd love to ski tomorrow.

its really a shame they wont be, because the skiing was sublime this afternoon. and will be exactly the same tommorrow. you can earn your turns and would probably be worth it on the upper drop! its rockin right now, but business wise it makes no sense to stay open.

vic, i question that 4" report tho smile
David
March 30, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: crunchy
vic, i question that 4" report tho smile

More than 4??
TGV
March 31, 2009
337 posts
Did you guys wake up late AGAIN?
I hope you had a great time though, because for sure: the weather was excellent and the scenery in the morning was "just what the doc ordered".
My front door steps all had over 2 inches - by the time I left the house.

BTW... Timberline is closed tomorrow (TUE) but re-OPENS on Saturday & Sunday (April 4th & 5th) - anyone playing TriFECTOR this weekend?
jimmy
March 31, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Originally Posted By: crunchy
ahhah!.. i knew i saw mr jimmy burnin down the mountain when i was on the lift sat. im still sore from following much better tele skiers down the drop all day! 1" of fresh this morning. tline is open today too cause they have some group coming.

Gisela and i were looking for you earlier; she twisted my arm and convinced me to ski The Drop with her. Glad we did. So did you go to the mall on Sunday or what? Lovely day a bit wet for my taste; i heard they were going to run a lift on Monday and snow was in the forecast, just wasn't listening i guess or i'd have stayed over Sunday. See you this weekend? time to use up whatever is left!
fishnski
March 31, 2009
3,530 posts
Its great that TL is still open but i'm still bitter over the fact that Thanksgiving & a couple weeks till opening had more snow than I've seen up at the valley during most mid winter times.....Did y'all see how much snow was up there T-giving week?..huge piles of snow on the pic-nic tables...paths dug thru the snow to get to the steps to the lodge...snow so deep that you could hardly walk up the hill to go sleding...yes Sleding because they would not open for skiing!

Meanwhile I had to drive to Wisp & wait in lift lines. If TL was open they would have grabbed mucho denero..maybe more money in one day during T-giving weekend than all post Luau revenue...

Since the place is locked in time (17 years of observation) & no hope for anything better to come along since our bigger & better ski mtns in WV are destined to end up as hunting/rich folks mtn homes/ &.. MORE..Wilderness areas I have to be thankful for what we have...Long Live Timberline!!!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
David
March 31, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
&.. MORE..Wilderness areas I have to be thankful for what we have...Long Live Timberline!!!

Yeah really. I hear that they are considering moving all West Virginians to the Charleston area so that they can designate the rest of the state as Wilderness... mad mad
SCWVA
March 31, 2009
1,052 posts
Originally Posted By: jimmy
[quote=crunchy]ahhah!.. ....time to use up whatever is left!

May have to take the skis for a walk on Thursday afternoon......
kwillg6
April 1, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
looking forward to doing leftovers with everyone this Sat and Sun. cool It was very excellent last year... for that matter it's been very excellent every year! smile Will do the usual on Sunday AM and race in local's cup. Fun race with great prizes and then the wrap-up ski school awards/ race prize awards/ feed and brews at 5 PM in the pub. The Mrs. and I will be there and I guess we will head home on Monday AM since it's asking too much to not n-joy such a good time partee!!! grin grin grin
jimmy
April 1, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Its great that TL is still open but i'm still bitter over the fact that Thanksgiving & a couple weeks till opening had more snow than I've seen up at the valley during most mid winter times.....Did y'all see how much snow was up there T-giving week?..huge piles of snow on the pic-nic tables...paths dug thru the snow to get to the steps to the lodge...snow so deep that you could hardly walk up the hill to go sleding...yes Sleding because they would not open for skiing!

Meanwhile I had to drive to Wisp & wait in lift lines. If TL was open they would have grabbed mucho denero..maybe more money in one day during T-giving weekend than all post Luau revenue...

Since the place is locked in time (17 years of observation) & no hope for anything better to come along since our bigger & better ski mtns in WV are destined to end up as hunting/rich folks mtn homes/ &.. MORE..Wilderness areas I have to be thankful for what we have...Long Live Timberline!!!

This makes a lot of sense to me Andy. Thanksgiving Skiing in WV is a change worth hoping for in this new era of hope and change. Seems skiers are much easier to get to the hill at the beginning of the season than in March/April. They might have to CHANGE the way they open the mountain though, open all the terrain from the mid-station down before moving on to the upper mountain. Does anyone remember when they started snowmaking this season?
KeithT
April 1, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Originally Posted By: jimmy
Does anyone remember when they started snowmaking this season?

Based on a quick forum search, it looks like the first threads on T-line snowmaking started around Nov. 17.
crunchy
April 1, 2009
596 posts
Did y'all see how much snow was up there T-giving week?..

Meanwhile I had to drive to Wisp & wait in lift lines.

hmm...weird.... we were skiing blissfully in the valley that same time with no liftlines smile

see yall this weekend!
fishnski
April 2, 2009
3,530 posts
Yeh..Yeh...I get your..Drift! smile
TGV
April 2, 2009
337 posts
Waking up to a beautiful sunny morning (Thur).
T'Line is closed today, but here's what's on the forecast:
"walk your skis" as many have mentioned...
Ride your muontain bike - meeting at Blackwater bikes tonight for the first Thur ride of the season!
Wow - what a georgeous day out there.
kwillg6
April 2, 2009
2,066 posts
What's this I hear about the possibility of snow in the valley on Friday night?????? smile
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 2, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Kim,
April Fools Day was yesterday. Some chance of snow on Tues. and Wed.
Have a blast this weekend.
The Colonel smile
kwillg6
April 3, 2009
2,066 posts
actually, word that I received from the mountain was they were expecting some snow showers this PM when the cold front blows in. That sounds reasonable for elevation.
fishnski
April 3, 2009
3,530 posts
Same kind of set up as last week...GFS has advertised it all week once again, allthough it won't be any big deal...Like the colonel said, mon aft into wed will be an impressive cold shot that will be felt even way down south ..BUT ..the Phat Lady in the tight ski pants will have sung the song by then....There is still some cold air up in the northlands.
SCWVA
April 3, 2009
1,052 posts
The Drop was in great shape yesterday.
JohnL
April 3, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Still has bumps?
SCWVA
April 3, 2009
1,052 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
Quote:

Still has bumps?

Didn't seem like much had changed since the Snowy Luau.

[img][IMG]http://thumb18.webshots.net/t/66/766/7/72/56/2573772560075915358BSIXPY_th.jpg[/img][/img]

Entrance to The Drop

[img][IMG]http://thumb18.webshots.net/t/73/173/7/84/69/2849784690075915358MzRTcQ_th.jpg[/img][/img]

The Middle

[img][IMG]http://thumb18.webshots.net/t/73/173/6/30/91/2644630910075915358zRFMyQ_th.jpg[/img][/img]

And the End.

Ended up doing four laps on The Drop. The only bare spot was just around the bend in the picture. There was also a bare spot on Lower Sali. Both could be easily fixed. Should be great out there this weekend.

Sorry about the quality of the photos, the upper 2/3 of the mtn. was shrouded in fog.

David - Please fix the pictures.

David
April 3, 2009
2,444 posts
Hey Scott, great shots! They look sort of eerie though!!

fishnski
April 3, 2009
3,530 posts
are those 1st tracks on the bottom of the bottom pick?..
fishnski
April 3, 2009
3,530 posts
Bet someone mentions the wind in follow up posts about skiing tomorrow....Sun should be BBQ weather...Too bad the timing was a little off for Mama natures grand Finale starting this mon Aft/eve...
TGV
April 4, 2009
337 posts
5 minutes of pessimism:
The winds are strong at T-Line.
Following the rain, there isn't much snow left over on the lower part of the mountain.
The Local's Cup (GS Race) may not be held today.
I may be going back to bed.

On the brighter side of things:
The lifts are still running - with night skiing at T-Line.
There is still ample snow for a lot of fun on the mountain.
Not too many people in groups will show up.
The day's ahead is full of surprises... who really knows what will happen.

I say we should just enjoy our last two days - rain free (I hope).
fishnski
April 4, 2009
3,530 posts
A couple of aprils back we had a 15 inch 2.5 day event..Remember that any one?..Great skiing on the Last weekend at TL....My last predict for the year puts a foot of April...(who's going to hump up the mountain to sample?) powder above 4000' by wed morn...Stay tuned!
skier219
April 4, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Fish, you must be seeing the same thing I am seeing. Reminds me, I have an AT rig in the closet that hasn't seen action this season. whistle

So, we need to get some recon from folks who ski TL this weekend, to know which trails will have base left on them for Wednesday.... Who has the skin-up, ski-down protocol for April??
fishnski
April 5, 2009
3,530 posts
Wish I lived Closer..wish I had time..I hope you or anyone else that samples the samples has a great time getting one of the funest excersise there is...playing in Snow in a winter wunderland!...Thanks for mentioning my wind..Uhh..the wind..& confirming my bet on the other thread Bousquet smile ...someone=Fishnski
crunchy
April 5, 2009
596 posts
wind wasn't bad after the morning hours. pretty much a picture perfect ski day as far as weather goes. all 8 of us that were on the mountain ski'd till about 8pm in natural light on our own private mountain. a few trails like the drop had portage spots to walk a little, but were much worth it. hope more people come out today to utilize some good skiing in good weather.
fishnski
April 6, 2009
3,530 posts
35 & flakin at 3800' Canaan since sometime after 2 this aft..27 up at Beech NC..snow allready sticking....
David
April 6, 2009
2,444 posts
Looks like more than a flurry now!! Who's up for some hiking??

http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/doso1
David
April 6, 2009
2,444 posts
I've got my pack ready. Now, if we can just get some of the white stuff!!

skier219
April 6, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Nice job on the pack. I hope the storm stacks up -- I'm seeing some signs it could warmup and turn to rain a littler earlier, on Wednesday frown
fishnski
April 6, 2009
3,530 posts
Hey David...Does that mean you've oficially come out of the closet?? grin.....2 inches (give or take for elevation) & counting.....
SCWVA
April 6, 2009
1,052 posts
Fish/219,

Whats the forecast for VT? NOAA is calling for more snow in VT than WV, but 219's link is showing a lot less for VT. Whats the deal?

No CO for me, tax man wanted both arms and a leg.

David - PM sent. And in answer to your question. 1000' of vertical is 1000' of vertical, Its all work.
David
April 6, 2009
2,444 posts
No CO for me, tax man wanted both arms and a leg.

What a [censored]!!
fishnski
April 7, 2009
3,530 posts
Dave Lesher the Obs guy at 3715' Canaan is confusing me with a posted 3.7 inch snowfall for the storm so far but... a 4 inch snow cover?
Vermont is still in the Warm side of the storm SCWVA & the setup doesn't look that great for them considering what they can get at times....Half a foot up high?..They look to get some more shots at little snows thru this weekend though..are the areas still open up there?.... Maybe 219 can post an updated graph for us..
fishnski
April 7, 2009
3,530 posts
5 inches at 3715' so far with about 7 to 8 a 1000' higher up...(MPC Roaring Plains/Snowshoe)...Very confident with my Foot predict for above 4000'...
fishnski
April 8, 2009
3,530 posts
Its over Johnny!...2 days of what the locals call the Robin snow has given the WV Alpps a general 8 to 12 inch (Snoeshoe) total with isolated higher amounts (MPC cool) here & there...Not the 30+ inch dump that has happened before but Somebody will enjoy a nice late winter workout!
SCWVA
April 13, 2009
1,052 posts
Mr. TGV,

Been hiking this week? Anything left at Tline? The DS webcam seems indicate there's snow left on WL & The Drop.
David
April 14, 2009
2,444 posts
Mr. TGV,

Been hiking this week? Anything left at Tline? The DS webcam seems indicate there's snow left on WL & The Drop.

He must be busy doing something. It isn't like him to not be bragging about what's happening in The Valley smile smile
David
April 15, 2009
2,444 posts
Is that snow I see on the 11:00 update of the DS Webcam?
fishnski
April 15, 2009
3,530 posts
Whats it been ..10 days since closing at TL & your allready Hallucinating...Seeing snow on screens?...Geezzz..

PS...Big [censored] Snowflakes Showing on the DS Cam at 1245!!!
fishnski
April 15, 2009
3,530 posts
Dave lesher up in Canaan hts is describing the snow coming down as "Goosedown Flakes"..I figured it would be a cool spring after the late season letdown...
David
April 15, 2009
2,444 posts
Temp has gone down 6 degrees since 11. Still plenty of flakes obstructing my view of the Valley!!!!
fishnski
April 15, 2009
3,530 posts
This is one of those "Surprise" Snows catching someone up in the Sods or up Around MPC & the roaring plains with their Ski pants down!
jimmy
September 10, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Andy guess you should watch wut you wish for,

fishnski
September 10, 2009
3,530 posts
I Guess its just a case of..If you can't beat them, then Join em sick cry

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?