so... who is skiing in the valley this weekend?
39 posts
16 users
14k+ views
crunchy
February 15, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
looks like options are kinda limited to the snowmaking areas... anyone skiing Tline tomorrow? maybe we can meet up for a few turns
Crush
February 15, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,276 posts
... i am! gettin' there early . let's make some fast turns ,eh I reckon! i'll wear my ny DKNY brown jacket with fur and DG's that look like bluejeans on the lower half, plus forest-green Roots hat with built-in ipod-phones. meet @ the high-speed quad @ 10:30 c u xoxo.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 16, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Booohhhhh sniff sniff... I'm in Ft Lauderdale this weekend... Well, not as bad as I make it out to be, but I still would rather be in WV skiing than in Ft Lauderdale staring at the beach with nothing to do... What else can you do at a beach?
Clay
February 16, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I'm here, but found out I have to work Monday. So I'll be heading out Sunday at some point and will miss the freshies on Monday.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
David
February 17, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Please tell me none of you guys got stuck in this yesterday??

Crush
February 17, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,276 posts
... like where the hell is that so i never go there!
David
February 17, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: Crush
... like where the hell is that so i never go there!

Timberline....looks lovely huh?? Glad I stuck around the house this weekend...
Noopie
February 17, 2008
Member since 01/11/2008 🔗
17 posts
Bet you'll never see that picture on the webcam. I'm going March 6th. I've been told that the lines get better in March but this is my first time so who knows...
skier219
February 17, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Pres. Day weekend is nuts everywhere. Slow lifts at TL don't help!
David
February 17, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: skier219
Pres. Day weekend is nuts everywhere. Slow lifts at TL don't help!

Yeah... The best skiing this weekend was had infront of the TV watching the newest TGR or MSP flick....
fishnski
February 18, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Glad I'm a freebird & can pick & choose where & when to go ...I Guess we didn't Badmouth TL enough earlier this season!
Myrtle beach,SC was where I spent my weekend...But with Snow in the F-cast for the rest of the week..& even into next weekend...Hmmmmmmm...
Girlboarder247
February 18, 2008
Member since 01/2/2007 🔗
110 posts
Slow lifts at Tline do help...it keeps the slopes less crowded.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Yes, but it is frustrating and limits the number of runs you can do, and thus the amount of skiing/vertical you can reap in a day.
This is especially annoying to better riders.
The Colonel \:\)
tgd
February 18, 2008
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
Yes, but it is frustrating and limits the number of runs you can do, and thus the amount of skiing/vertical you can reap in a day.

I'll take a few less runs for uncrowded slopes anytime. Though there were big crowds at Timberline Saturday, I enjoyed run after run with few skiers per slope.
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
This is especially annoying to better riders.
It didn't annoy me.
Tom
fishnski
February 19, 2008
3,530 posts
Ok..How Bout 2.4 inches of fresh stuff this morn at the valley..still coming down & a clipper heading for a showdown with the Alpps for tomorrow...Hookski anyone??!?..0 lift lines, Fresh Pow & a whole mtn to yourself?!!?...Its time like this that I wish I lived closer to the slopes for that Midweek,peaceful,winterwonderland getaway...still looks good for the weekend though!
jimmy
February 19, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Colonel while we're on the subject of Timberlines slow lifts next time you ski there, count how many times the lift stops. I did get a few rides up on last Sat/Sun, maybe four or five in two days where the lift didn't stop. Most rides it stops three or four times.

Why does the lift stop??? That's what annoys me.
fishnski
February 19, 2008
3,530 posts
ROOKIES!!..Heading up to Salamander. I do hope they at least pad that billy for next year...Snowing hard at Canaan right now!
kwillg6
February 19, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,070 posts
Jimmy, didn't you catch that scoreboard at the base of the queen this weekend? Jumpers, falls, head bumps....and the number of each...they keep score \:o ! Actually, it's entertaining. All they need is an MC who does play by play. T-lines lift lines were LONG on Sunday, early. I mean by 8:30 AM. But the conditions were super. Skied the drop most of the time.
jimmy
February 19, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Yea i saw that. What they aughtta dew is blow big whales on that little trail between the top o the queen and OffThe Wall and mark the lift experts only like it used to be. Standing in the triage they call a lift line i saw so many folks taking kids on that lift that couldn't load it without assistance.

Where did everyone go Sunday? I got to freeland road just as the rain quit and when i got to Tline i couldn't believe how many people were leaving. Good for me though i scored a very good parking place and didn't need to use my poacher parking permit ;\) .
Clay
February 19, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I had to leave because I had to WORK on Monday but Kim is right those lines Sunday AM were BEARS. It was weird though - I waited in line for the first ride up (8:00), came down to no wait (skied right on) and then came down again and waited 30 minutes. Looking forward to a little saner lines this weekend.
kwillg6
February 19, 2008
2,070 posts
Get enuff sno and we can make our own lines, Clay. Me n' the Mrs are heading up Thursday PM. We want to miss the Friday night parade of flatlanders....with which the predicted weather, it could be real dicey. It just amazes me how u put a fool in 4wd on a snowy night, aim em and watch the show. For some reason they think hitting the brakes will save em'. \:\/ Waht time did you get out on Sunday, Jimmy? Didn't see you or did I??? We had to leave cuz we had to do what Clay had to do on Monday....work.
crunchy
February 19, 2008
596 posts
glad i went hiking instead of tline saturday! Went sunday for a few runs around noonish and didnt seem too crowded. maybe a 5 minute wait in line on silver queen lift which always has the shorter lines. the drop did seem the nicest of the black runs, empty, soft snow and no stupid 12ft whales. yes im a whale hater \:\)
kwillg6
February 19, 2008
2,070 posts
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It has me soooo mad . Did I say How mad I am??? They groom out everything at t-line now. W/O at least some bumps, the drop and OTW are nothing more than advanced blues. \:\(
Even the Mrs was disappointed and bored. We made run after run on the drop trying to start some bumps that they can groom flat.
This logic eludes me. Every mountain needs some advanced terrain and that includes bumps, if not whales. My biggest pet peeve are skiers who won't challege themselves to the next level. If they physically can't do it, it's one thing, but just because they "can't ski bumps" doesn't mean those of us who want to should suffer. Wimps, anyway!!!! Ahhhh, I \:\) feel much better after that rant.
fishnski
February 19, 2008
3,530 posts
I remember what you told me once Kwill...Find the middle ground.Sooo...Can we agree that porpose's are better than Whales?...Still Snowing at Canaan.....Wait a minute..whats wrong with a groomed out drop or wall for the speedsters in the crowd?...ok..ok..Porpose's are better than whales!
tgd
February 19, 2008
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
 Originally Posted By: crunchy
glad i went hiking instead of tline saturday!

Crunch: That's a shame. Tline was sublime on Saturday. Bluebird skies, cold weather, excellent conditions (till late in the afternoon). Yes, there were lines but they looked worse than they actually were. My daughter and I were able to find the right "line" at the lift everytime and never waited more than 5 minutes. She's in love with the NASTAR course, so we were even riding Thunderdraft triple to mid-station over and over during the peak of the day. Once off the lifts, the slopes were by and large empty (can't say for Twister or Sally - I avoid those slopes).

The brief but steady downpour we had Sunday morning (combined with the start of the Daytona 500) got people out of the lift lines by Sunday afternoon.

Overall, I overheard some of the Tline staff saying that Saturday's take was the biggest single day ever for Tline. The local papers have recently reported that the season overall is going well for both hills. I wish people would start listening to the colonel and start taking their feet elsewhere! ha.

Tom

Tom
TomH
February 19, 2008
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Saturday was surely T-Lines best day of the year and a beautiful day it was. It is unfortunate that they don't let any runs bump up, but one can always challenge one self in other ways. Just play mind games. Pick a line 10-15 feet wide down the Drop and don't ski outside of it. That should make it more challenging for most people. If that doesn't do the trick dump the alpine skis in the garbage and get some tele's. The whole mountain will be your playground again and the boredom level will go way down.
fishnski
February 19, 2008
3,530 posts
Speaking of lines,Sugar Mtn Cam in the Carolinas show a heavy turnout for today...A weekday!..Southerners love to ski..God bless em...It Stopped Snowing up at the Valley..untill it starts again!....Soon....
crunchy
February 19, 2008
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: tgd
 Originally Posted By: crunchy
glad i went hiking instead of tline saturday!

Crunch: That's a shame. Tline was sublime on Saturday.
Tom

not a shame really, i got to hike with cool people and cool views. was a perfect day for skiing and doing anything else outside really tho \:\)

I agree Tline should leave some runs ungroomed at least tho. natural moguls should be left for sure! I think they are terrified of lawsuits?? because for an operation starved of cash it certainly costs alot more money for them to groom out every run than to leave some, so who knows what the deal is. maybe if some of the groomers or snowmakers were skiers things would be different \:\)
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 19, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
kwillg6,
I like the compromise of having a trail with bumps on at least one half, and the rest groomed for the non-bumpers. Snowshoe sometimes does this on Shays, even Cupp.
Sort of gives all a chance to do their thing! Of course a wider trail helps, but it can be done, albeit more challenging, on the double blacks at Timberline.
jimmy
February 19, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
 Originally Posted By: lbotta
Booohhhhh sniff sniff... I'm in Ft Lauderdale this weekend... Well, not as bad as I make it out to be, but I still would rather be in WV skiing than in Ft Lauderdale staring at the beach with nothing to do... What else can you do at a beach?

Lou sounds like your timing is pretty good, not a bad time to be in FL w/your family???? Party on?
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 19, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,345 posts
I am going to Steamboat for a week, flying out on Fri. Daughter & husband will be there as well as the 3 grandsons who are on school break week. My son will be there too. I'm hearing great reports about the snow out there and really looking forward to it.
jimmy
February 19, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
 Originally Posted By: fishnski
Speaking of lines,Sugar Mtn Cam in the Carolinas show a heavy turnout for today...A weekday!..Southerners love to ski..God bless em...It Stopped Snowing up at the Valley..untill it starts again!....Soon....

Hey fish how bout this
fishnski
February 20, 2008
3,530 posts
2 to 4..???....How bout a half foot..you know how the Alpps roll!....& some more chances later on & into the weekend...Lookin good Homes!
kwillg6
February 20, 2008
2,070 posts
Sorry about my shameless rant earlier \:\( \:\( \:\( but I have an affinity for those big white mammals and their smaller cousins. I think it adds much more interest to the terrain which is otherwise a race course.
On another note, I notice that t-line has the guns blazing on a lot of terrain in the attempt to make that April 6th closing date. And snowmaking on OTW ....hmmmmm a rebirth of the whales perhaps???? \:\) \:\) \:\)
jonjon1
February 20, 2008
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
Beautiful snowy morning today here in the mountains. Going to go try Canaan for the first time (got some free lift tickets).
David
February 20, 2008
2,444 posts
Yeah, its looking pretty good at T-Line. Wish I was there right now battling the snowblowers.

Don't mention this view (or lack there of) either:
fishnski
February 20, 2008
3,530 posts
14 degrees at 3200'..9 above 4000' with a relativly light wind & snow dropping at a good clip =..POWDER...
fishnski
February 21, 2008
3,530 posts
Well, this Manitoba mauler Clipper we got today sure layed down a thick mat of goodness...a foot & a half if you believe my friends in Davis(they love for me & Betterhalfski to visit)..Add the half foot we got earlier & that seals the deal for me..This winter ain't no spring chicken anymore & its time to get it while the gettins good..Time to head up to that Beautiful Valley in the Sky to get my Alpp-ine fix!....All this GW,El nina busting weather makes me say..BRING ON ALMOST HEAVEN (MPC Rules)...I'm Gone Skiin till I'm Gone Fishin...Fishnski has left the house!
kwillg6
February 21, 2008
2,070 posts
See u in the pub, andy.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?