Timberline Conditions?
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
MitchH
March 4, 2004
Member since 03/29/2004 🔗
41 posts
I am thinking of heading to Timberline this weekend, but their snow report has not been updated since last Friday (another example of poor management at what could be a great resort). Anyone know about current conditions; are most of their slopes still open? (NWS forecast has possibility of snow for this weekend).
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 4, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Rain combined with warm weather over the next three day in Davis will not make for good ski conditions. I hope I am wrong, but this type of weather really takes a toll on a ski area's base. I know Snowshoe plans to make up for lost base by making snow next week, but I haven't heard anything yet from Timberline.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 03-04-2004).]

bawalker
March 4, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I was at Timberline last saturday night and conditions varied. Upper Dew Drop was a solid sheet of ice with most if any granular/sugar snow pushed out to the side where I tended to venture off too. Mid station and the green trails off to the left had more granular snow on it although not enough to take the sting off a nasty fall I had there beside the double black run.

Accuweather.com shows high's in the 50's for Davis, but Timberline does get a few degree's cooler with rain on Saturday and sunday and altnerative snow showers sunday evening. The next 15 days seem to be above average in warmth with high's near 50 and lows no lower than 29 or so. Alternatively I was looking at Wisp for this weekend to possibly go to but their temperatures are even forecasted to be a bit warmer than Timberlines.

gatkinso
March 4, 2004
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Well, it is always productive to keep your hopes up - but spring skiing this year might have to occur in New England (but they are being hit with the Th-w as well).

Hey Bawalker you might have to come to (most of) our world and enjoy the Drive Before the Ski.... ;-)

MitchH
March 5, 2004
Member since 03/29/2004 🔗
41 posts
Well they just updated the website and they still report all slopes open (but backcountry closed). Two more days of warm weather and then seasonably cold weather with the possibility of snow or rain on Saturday afternoon. I have been surprised with powder in Canaan Valley a number of times after warm spells like this, so I think I may take a chance and head out there. I actually enjoy skiing Timberline after warm spells - no lift lines and crowds.

By the way, there is an article about White Grass in the latest issue of Couloir Magazine. Talks about what a great place it is despite the variable West Virginia natural snow conditions.

dmh
March 6, 2004
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
I am planning a trip to Canaan Valley next weekend and would greatly appreciate any information on current conditions at either Timberline or Canaan. I am hoping we get the blast of cold and perhaps snow next week but not counting on the latter.
bawalker
March 7, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
It's looking to be about 33ish as the high on Tues/Wed with a low of around 22 with snowshowers on and off all day. Looks to be good enough to have one of the resorts turn on the snow guns for a day... hopefully??

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?