Timberline Conditions
10 posts
8 users
1k+ views
dollysodshiker
January 4, 2005
Member since 01/4/2005
2 posts
I'm looking for input from anyone that visited Timberline in the last 48 hours. How is Timberline's base holding up in this horrible warm weather? Any direct observations appreciated.
fred
January 4, 2005
Member since 12/23/2004
59 posts
hey dolly,
I'm debating whether or not to head up there at the end of this week as well, but the weather kind of stinks. I don't know exactly what they have open either. DC's current conditions report dated 2005-01-03 states that timberline has a 36"-50" base with 17 trails open (49% of the mountain) and 4 lifts operating. Does timberline even have four lifts? I then checked timberline's own web site and there snow report says 24"-50" base with 13 trails open (38% of the mountain open) and 2 lifts operating. I don't know why there is discrepancy because the timberline web site is dated the third of january also-but oh well they are pretty similar-except I'm pretty sure timberline doesn't even have 4 lifts on the mountain and I find it hard to believe that they have 50"(or 24" for that matter) of base after all this warm weather and rain. Anyway you should call the resort and talk to someone in person to find out what's going on. that's what I'm going to do here in a little bit. I'm starring at a computer at the office, i'm bored, and all I can think about is making some turns.
jimmy
January 5, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004
2,650 posts
I'm headed down sometime Friday. Looks like the last chance before Indian Summer returns next week. Hope they can make some snow, but they'll still have base, at least this weekend.

jimmy
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 5, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001
1,914 posts
I just got off the phone with someone who returned from Timberline. The bottom line is that it is not worth the trip. Even if we get a short cold snap, Timberline's snowmaking system isn't up to the task of turning lemons to lemonade in such a short time period. Snowshoe or 7 Springs would be a better bet because they can do quick coating much better than Timberline. Save the Timberline trip for later in the season, when it should get cold weather and hopefully decent natural snowfall.
jimmy
January 5, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004
2,650 posts
Thanks, I guess. Maybe we'll daytrip to Snowshoe Saturday. Wonder what their crowd/conditions will be like?

jimmy
Chad
January 6, 2005
Member since 12/12/2000
270 posts
i was at timberline today (jan 6) for the demo day. as we drove into the valley i was starting to wonder if the lifts would even be running. but despite rain through the early afternoon (heavy at times) i was suprised by how good the snow was. but then when it comes to skiing i am easily pleased. any day on the slopes (and not at work) is a good one.
pwillysim
January 6, 2005
Member since 09/2/2004
38 posts
Well Chad you are keeping my hopes alive. I will be there this weekend and whatever is open I will ski it. Making turns with a big smile on my face, Thanks for the update.
tgd
January 6, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004
585 posts
I'm heading up to Timberline tomorrow AM. There appears to be an brief opportunity with the weather here through Saturday to enjoy - perhaps - a window of decent conditions (relatively speaking). Checking out the Dolly Sods weather cam, I see that temps have dropped from the upper 40's today to about 34 degrees now (10PM). Forecast is for mid-twenties overnight. Tomorrow is supposed to be at least dry if not below freezing. Friday night into Saturday AM even holds the possibility of snow! (changing to rain sometime in the AM). Is there a even dim flicker of hope that there might be some decent skiing Saturday?

Anyone have an idea if Timberline will try to blow some snow if conditions are suitable overnight? The warm weather seems to return from Sunday through the end of next week, so I think they might try to conserve resources for MLK day.
MitchH
January 6, 2005
Member since 03/29/2004
41 posts
I called Timberline today and they said they will be blowing snow tonight and tomorrow with the colder temperatures. They have basically three lines open from the top: Salamander, White Lightning and Dew Drop, and with the expected return of summer temperatures next week, it is not going to get any better anytime soon, so I agree this might be a good weekend. Timberline is holding an all day telemark clinic on Sunday so that will make it worthwhile to go, and the lack of trail openings I guess will be made up for by no lift lines, I assume. I am trying to convince a few of my doubtful friends to head up to Canaan this weekend to take advantage of what they have.

The prospects for MLK weekend don't look very good based on the weather forecast for next week - but this warm spell has to break sometime, and when it does Canaan is probably going to get hit with some major lake effect snow. My prediction: a few feet of fresh powder in the valley for inaugaration day.
tgd
January 7, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004
585 posts
I am at Timberline. It's 10PM friday - What can I say, 34 degrees and RAIN. Been raining for about 3 hours, temps relatively steady. Clouds don't look like they have any snow in them. Oh well... here's hoping Ullr returns to bless us by soon.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?

Join the conversation by logging in.

Don't have an account? Create one here.

0.14 seconds