Whitetail Today 2/14
7 posts
4 users
1k+ views
MadMonk
February 14, 2008
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Finally got my turns of the season in (thanks pneumonia and pleuresy) today.

I got up to Whitetail around 1pm and the snow was had softened up nice and was starting to corn up. Snowdancer, Limelight, Angel Drop, Homerun were all in prime condition with very good coverage (though only the lift towers and to the left on Limelight). After hitting all of these I headed over to Exhibition, etc.

By this time the sunniest parts of the slopes were entering mashed potato stage, which was nice. Exhibition was nicely moguled though skiing the edges offerred fairly easy ways down. Farside was by far the best runs of the day. I can't remember how many times I did it; that's how good it was.

The shadows were getting longer and starting to cover the right-side of the trails, but it wasn't really icy or anything. It was at this point that I made my only real mistake of the day; Bold Decision.

My brain told me I was making a mistake and that the trail was probably frozen back up but my heart was wanting to ski something steep. Let's just say the piles of corn had turned into piles of death cookies on top of hard pack; not blue-ribbon of death hardpack, but not fun carvable hardpack either. I haven't looked in the mirror yet, but I suspect I rattled a filling or two lose.

After that did a couple more laps on Farside to finish strong.

Overall a great day. I hope we get some good cold weather post-President's day so they can build the base up to last into Mid-March.

scootertig
February 14, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Sounds like a good day!

Was there any snow on Fanciful? Looking at the snow report/trail conditions, it looks like they're not doing anything with that. Is there anything there, or was there a problem on that run?

aaron
SCWVA
February 14, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I'm heading up to WT in the am. Hopefully, things loosen up early.

How were the bumps on Exhibition? Any bumps on Bold Decision?
MadMonk
February 15, 2008
235 posts
There was snow on Fanciful. I couldn't tell if they had been blowing snow on it, though. Another skier (who's there a lot from what I gather) told me they wouldn't be blowing any more snow in it for the season.

The bumps on Exhibition were nice and soft in the sun. The middle of the run had nice sized bumps with smaller bumps to the edges. I stayed mainly to the edges since it was my first day back on the slopes.

Bold Decision had no bumps but was an unfun combo of ice and death cookies.
SCWVA
February 16, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I went up Friday am and the snow was great. Skied primarily Exhibition with a few runs down Farside & Bold Decision (to give the knees a break from the bumps). The bumps were small to medium in size, but growing as the day went on. I got a pretty good zipperline going, by the end of the day. No liftlines, but it seemed like there was a lot of people there for a weekday.

Today should be a great day WT.

I skied my old skis for the first part of the day and then tried the midfats in the bumps. The Guns ripped in the bumps, even thou they are 90mm under foot and are 185cm long, I couldn't tell much difference between my skinny skis (68mm & 172cm) and the Guns. No more skinny skis for me. Once you've gone fat, there's no going back.
therusty
February 20, 2008
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
 Originally Posted By: MadMonk
There was snow on Fanciful. I couldn't tell if they had been blowing snow on it, though. Another skier (who's there a lot from what I gather) told me they wouldn't be blowing any more snow in it for the season.

Today's newsletter announced that Fanciful will open back up. I just can't remember if it said tomorrow or Friday. The boss told me last weekend that Whitetail had not officially given up on Fanciful or the 1/2 pipe. It's amazing what round the clock snowmaking can do.
MadMonk
February 21, 2008
235 posts
Snow report says Friday. Hmmm might have to take a late lunch tomorrow.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.