Whitetail is holding up
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
wojo
December 30, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Park is pretty good, there are lots of places to get big air and the snow is soft. Upper/Lower Angle, Home Run, Lime Light are holding up. Snow Dancer would be great for a cow on ski's as there is lots of grass to munch on. Snowpark and Stalker (greens) are wonderful considering the spring time temps. Did not make it to the expert runs, but they looked great from the parking lot.

In my opinion, loose granular is more fun than ice skiing...

Keep us posted on the conditions over the weekend, Monday is a day off from school!!
MichaelB
January 3, 2006
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
Guarantee you Whitetail and Liberty will begin to lose major trail counts this week.
MichaelB
January 5, 2006
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
Quote:

Guarantee you Whitetail and Liberty will begin to lose major trail counts this week.

Well, I think I should admit that I was wrong for this week. Whitetail has only lost one trail so far - Snow Dancer, but they have stopped grooming the blacks. Obviously not MAJOR trail counts. Hopefully they will be able to blow snow this weekend with the predicted drop in temps, but next week is problematic.
Maboomba
January 7, 2006
Member since 01/7/2006 🔗
7 posts
Liberty was far better on Tuesday than Whitetail was tonight. They're blowing snow hard though so hopefully it will improve rapidly.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 7, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Today's Date:
January 7, 2006
Time of Report:
6:05 AM

New Machine Made Snow:
6 To 8 Inches Last Night

This demonstrates clearly how WT can make a heck of a lot of snow with just a brief shot of cold weather. AMAZING.
JohnL
January 7, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Real quick update before I head out.

Skied Whitetail today (Saturday 1/7) - excellent coverage on all open trails, but Limelight is a bit narrow. They apparently blew a lot of snow last night. All trails were open except Fanciful and Snow Dancer (not sure about half-pipe).

Crowds were non-existent; guess a lot a people were watching football, weekend after New Year's Eve is traditionally slow, plus previous week's warm weather prolly got the masses thinking of something besides skiing.

Some of the new man-made had some funky moisture content, but hey, it beats rocks and mud. January thaw, mebbe, but there's still skiing and it ain't bad.

Demo day today - tried 6 new skis. I'll post a detailed report next week. Some very good skis out there.

Rode up in the Attiva bus today since my rental car agreement has limitations (main car repairs in progress.) Bus wuz pretty full thanks to a group trip organized by Aaron.

Quit complaining, and start skiing! Carpe Diem.
JohnL
January 8, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Sunday update on cover - much warmer today and sliders were scraping through to the ground in a few spots - specially a couple of places at the top of Limelight (usual spots), near the bottom of Limelight, and a couple of places on the sides of Bold Decision. Cover was very good elsewhere, including the troughs on Exhibition.

Exhibition was getting bumped up but the rest of the slopes were groomed. Bumps were plenty soft but not overly slushy. A couple of the more skied lines started to get some deep punch-through in certain sections (but not to dirt, etc.), which made for a few jarring lines later in the day.

Crowds were still very light.

Typical Whitetail warm day snow condition pattern. Overall, a very nice weekend at Whitetail.

Next weekend at Whitetail could get a bit dicey with holiday crowds (MLK), warm temps and possible rain this week. But most DCSki posters avoid Whitetail (and other popular areas) on holiday weekends...
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.