Anyone Skiing Locally This Weekend?
14 posts
12 users
4k+ views
JohnL
January 11, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
The Colonel seems to be AWOL due to this weather. Anyone heading out to the slopes this weekend?

No skiing for me this weekend; I decided to swap pager duty in February for a poor conditions weekend (this one.)

I am hoping to do a 4-day weekend next weekend (battling the crowds.)
fishnski
January 11, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Next weekend should be good weather wise everywhere...Crowds are a different story...think Canaan ski area or Silvercreek or..Where else for less lift lines?..Blue knob?
crunchy
January 11, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: JohnL
I decided to swap pager duty in February for a poor conditions weekend (this one.)

nice one! at work they kinda want people to give a few weeks to a month notice for vacation time, but its in my contract that my vacation time is dependent on snow reports, and I may only be able to give a few days at most notice.

not going skiing this weekend. thinking about the sunday 'gateway to the refuge' tour sun at whitegrass tho. if you ever wanted to know about every thing growing and living in canaan, that dude dave saville, who is leading it, is the guy!
skier219
January 11, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Dave S is a great guy, I interacted with him a bit when he worked for the WV Highlands Conservancy. I have no doubt that tour will be worth attending!
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Maybe Blue Knob with the family noodling on greens and blues. I'll check the report and weather Saturday night. This weather sucks.
Clay
January 12, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I'm at TLine. I have to spend some time in Petersburg helping my dad get his Christmas lights down, but I think I'll have time to make some turns Sat and Sun AM.
Crush
January 12, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
nope - i'll be carving gs turns around a bottle of stoli all weekend and taking the zipper-line thru grassy-shwag-weeds ... but next week definitely 7-springs.
jimmy
January 12, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
7 Springs tomorrow, just to keep the quads sore
Clay
January 12, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Man, I know whut u feel like. I was so sore after last weekend's bump runs on WL that I swore I would be on the Skiers Edge every night this past week so it didn't happen again. Needless to say, I was on it exactly zero days.....
jimmy
January 12, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Don't worry Clay it's always better to ski yourself into shape than to spend all that time exorcising, my get into shape program always peaks too soon.....
SkiBoarder
January 12, 2008
Member since 05/22/2006 🔗
44 posts
we are here at HV. Conditions are ok for conditions, thick granular and some ice. Only a few slopes open.
WPABoarder
January 12, 2008
Member since 01/20/2006 🔗
22 posts
I skied HV this morning. There was a variety of slopes open which kept us entertained. No lift lines. Slopes with the new snow guns were in great shape with a couple foot base and the conditions were good. Skied instead of boarding for the first time in a couple years with the family and had a great time until we had to leave for a family function.

The conveyor on the quad at the North Summit is neat. It worked well for my children. I imagine it would be a big help when there are crowds.

I hope they put in more new snowguns next year.
langleyskier
January 12, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Ill be at Denton with some other ski team people (wherever that is). We have a race there next week so we figured it would be a good chance to check out the hill
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 12, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
langleyskier,
Ski Denton is listed on the DCSki resort info page. Check it out. Approx. 650 vertical feet, and one slope has about a 66 degree drop. Near the NY border, practically due north of State College in the middle of nowhere, near Coudersport, PA.
The Colonel \:\)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.