And Where Are You Skiing This Weekend?
11 posts
9 users
2k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I'll be at Snowshoe Feb. 3-6 with red ribbons on gloves.
Where will you be...take the poll:
john84
January 31, 2007
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
27 posts
I'll be at whitetail monday night
tromano
January 31, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
7S saturday and BK sunday.
nome
January 31, 2007
Member since 01/19/2007 🔗
14 posts
snowshoe, if my li'l sedan makes it
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 1, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
I think I am going to play hooky and visit Whitetail during the day on Monday, Feb 5. Post here or send me a PM if anyone else is gonna be there too. It's been a long time since I skied Far Side.
John84, I'm probably going to do the day session, what time do you plan to arrive?
john84
February 1, 2007
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
27 posts
Should get there around 330-4, depends on if I take the ski club bus or go in my friends' car.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 1, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I sent you a personal message about trying to ski a few runs together this weekend at the Shoe. Go to your home spot and check out the email.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
The Colonel
canaanman
February 2, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Stevens Pass, WA.

Hopefully we'll get a break from the bulletproof moguls as high pressure leaves the area.
TravisR
February 2, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
I plan on hitting a sweet spot in my backyard! We picked up an inch here and an inch there all week followed by a warmup earlier today. The snow melted a bit and has now firmed at 24 degrees plus, we have at least 1 inch of fresh stuff and its still snowing! For what it's worth, I really like skiing through 8-12 inches of powder on my hill, problem is that I am doing exactly that, skiing THROUGH it and hitting grass. I'd rather ski (at least on my hill, not necessarly at a ski area) on 2-6 inches of SOLID base. Should be a great day on the hill tomorrow if the wind picks up and the snow fence keeps on catching the white stuff! I'll post some "backyard" pics and maybe video too!

Wherever you ski this weekend, bundle up! COLD weather is invading the east! woo hoo!
SkiBumMSP
February 4, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
I just spent an entire day at Liberty yesterday. Kinda sad that after living in this area for nearly 14 years, that was only my first time getting up there to Liberty.

It made for a nice change of scenery instead of the usual Massanutten where I normally ski (of course, guess where I'll be next weekend - yup - at the 'Nutt!)

The conditions at Liberty were excellent yesterday, although there were a few spots exhibiting that famous "East Coast Hard Pack" that made for some interesting skiing in places. Also, they only had the one short mogul run on Upper Strata, which was fun, but only 5 or 6 turns and you were pretty much done. Plus those troughs in those moguls were pretty deep. A few times I was worried I'd land in one wrong and end up "over the handle bars". From what I understand, Upper Eastwind also usually has moguls, but it was still flat yesterday.

That drop in to Upper Ultra (the first run I went down to start the day ) was really knarly. It was almost like a cornice drop! I thought that was par for the course until I was told it is usually not like that.

They started blowing snow on Heavenly and Witney's Way later in the evening. Some of that fresh man-made powder that was starting to accumlate actually made for some sweet skiing through there. Same thing on Blue Streak right at the end of the evening!

Also, the crowds there were friggan insane, but I actually expected that it would be. Thus, I pretty much stayed on the backside for most of the day, althugh I did take a couple runs done White Lightening and Blue Streak on the front side to check them out.

Also, major thumbs up to the Liberty Ski Patrol! You guys were awesome and really made me feel like "part of the team" while visiting there.

I'll need to go up there again, especially since it is really not that difficult for me to get up there. It take me around 2 1/2 hours to get there from Fredericksburg, but it is almost all interstate/expressway to get there (although dealing with the morons on I-95 and the Beltway can be frustrating at times, like that jackass in that black Mercades that kept riding my ass the whole way up I-95 until I finally lost him on the Beltway).

Overall, Liberty was fun place to ski. Would've been nice for more vertical, but I guess you gotta make do with what you got. Still, this is an excellent place to spend a day or two skiing. I certainly had a great time yesterday.
Ullr
February 4, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Leaving for Gore tomorrow.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?