Valentines and President's Wknd: Which Slopes?
19 posts
12 users
5k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Where are you planning to hit the slopes from Feb 14-18? To facilitate trying to arrange a DCSki get-together at a particular slope please add a separate post using your DCSki nickname. The Colonel \:\)
February 10, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I'm taking my honey to the Homestead for Valentines Day and if the slopes have snow will also ski a bit, maybe stop by Wintergreen on the way home.
THINK SNOW AND COLD WEATHER for the big weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Colonel \:\)
February 10, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Keep the info flowing!!!
And for those that skied this weekend, what were conditions like?
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I'm shooting for HV this weekend hoping the crowds will be manageable. I'm anxious to check out all the improvements. I'll post a trip report if we get out, it's been that kind of ski season. Something always seems to keep us home.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
GRK
February 10, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Not sure yet where we are going next weekend...got to Wintergreen around 1pm this afternoon (when our passes kick in) considering the warm weather we had it could have been worse but it was still rough.

They started up the guns almost everywhere at around 4pm...my guess is that they should be in pretty good shape by next weekend if they keep up the aggressive snow making.
GGNagy
February 11, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
I am planning on doing 7S Friday afternoon and then Hidden Valley on Saturday. If my old bones can take it, I will visit somewhere else on Sunday. I have been interested in raising my ski area count so I might try out Mystic Mt.
If anyone wants to meet up any of those days, drop me a PM.
scootertig
February 11, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I'm headed to Colorado for a week... Staying in a townhouse in Vail I got through VRBO (for CHEAP!!!), and skiing Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, and Loveland.

I leave on Saturday, but I can't wait!

aaron
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 11, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I'll be at CV with my scout troop. If there is enough adult supervision, which there almost always is, I'll be at Whitegrass as well.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 11, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I'll be in Ft Lauderdale with horrible warm weather and thinking about skiing. But my family is cooking a whole roast suckling pig and a Cuban dinner for 40 people, many of whom I haven't seen in many years, so that makes up for it... And immersing myself back into the Spanish Language, on which I need the practice....
giantjr
February 11, 2008
Member since 09/18/2006 🔗
29 posts
Timberline with friends Friday-Monday! Hope we don't get blizzard conditions coming in or leaving on Monday. Hard driving to Senaca Rocks if it's snowing. PM if you want to meet at the lodge!
February 12, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
29 respondents so far. Keep the info flowing.
kwillg6
February 13, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Let's go back...Prez day 03. 48" in the valley. Set up one of the best closing of season's ever.
February 16, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
36 respondents so far, somebody must have gone/be going to Snowshoe.
Ullr
February 17, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel

On Prez weekend? I still have vouchers for free lift tickets, and I still wouldn't go!!!!!!!
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 17, 2008
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
 Quote:

ummmmm - why ?

I voted for winterplace - have not been there in two years and the best snow that I can hit on a daytrip, conducting pagan rituals for miserable weather to keep the crowd down - has worked in the past. have fun all.
GRK
February 17, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Ullr

I am with you on that...curious if you went anywhere since we are in close proximity. My 11 year old being the voice of reason said she did not want to go anywhere this weekend and battle crowds.
gizmosnow
February 17, 2008
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Skied 7S this past Wednes. & Thurs. and snow conditions were best i've had at the springs this season -- only had to deal with fog. Was at HV on Saturday/Sunday of this (Pres) weekend. Snow was great -- weather spectacular on Sat not as good today. Rode chairlift with folks on Sat. who told me they were headed for 7S but traffic in was so backed up they diverted to HV. HV was busy on Sat. with some lift lines but not unbearable.
Ullr
February 17, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Nah, we stayed home. Holiday rates and big crowds aren't my idea of fun. Next weekend will be just as good, and half the crowd.
GGNagy
February 17, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
 Originally Posted By: gizmosnow
Skied 7S this past Wednes. & Thurs. and snow conditions were best i've had at the springs this season -- only had to deal with fog. Was at HV on Saturday/Sunday of this (Pres) weekend. Snow was great -- weather spectacular on Sat not as good today. Rode chairlift with folks on Sat. who told me they were headed for 7S but traffic in was so backed up they diverted to HV. HV was busy on Sat. with some lift lines but not unbearable.

I heard the same thing about 7s at HV on saturday. I was practically skiing on the old lift next to Glaciers Pub all day until mid afternoon. Lines were short on the quad as well. People were also commenting on it being the first in a long time that the trails far skiers left on the north side were all open. I avoided the one with the manhole in the middle.

The buncher group has done a great job with the ski area itself, but it may take a bit of time to get the conference center back in shape. Looks like alot of deferred maintainence items, and some rooms being pretty shabby.

Seven Springs was very nice on Friday afternoon, until the fod set in over the mountain a bit before 6pm. It was my first time there since the new Gunnar lift, and Wow, that just made my favorite part of the resort 50 times better. a race ended on Gunnar just a bit after I got there, and suprisingly, there was still snow on the slope. Spent 2-3 hours just doing laps off that lift onto Yodeler, Gunnar, lift line, Giant Steps and Lost Girl/Turtle Claw. lift line and turtle claw were a bit thin, I must admit.

The rain mercifully cut short a trip to explore Mystic Mt. In between I went exploring and photographed 5 lost ski areas. Almost had a chance to earn some turns at Deer Valley, as tubing had just shut down due to weather (slow slush).

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?