Snow for season in CV
22 posts
9 users
7k+ views
Roger Z
March 19, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Hey Andy! I noticed that Whitegrass this morning is saying that about 162 inches has fallen so far this season (and at the rate this one has been going, who knows if we're done yet or not?). What was your prediction? I think you predicted less- isn't that always the right way to be wrong?

Park City is saying 220 inches of snow has fallen. They only measure from the day they open for the year, but still... that's not a heckuva big difference between the two locations when you think about it!
JohnL
March 19, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Park City is saying 220 inches of snow has fallen.

Un-friggan-believable. We are nearly 2/3 of the way through March, and Alta is only reporting 330. We were spoiled the last two years. (For those who haven't been there, places like Alta and Snowbird are pretty rocky, so you need at least 100 inches of snowfall before many sections can open.)
Chad
March 19, 2007
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Park City is saying 220 inches of snow has fallen.

Un-friggan-believable. We are nearly 2/3 of the way through March, and Alta is only reporting 330. We were spoiled the last two years. (For those who haven't been there, places like Alta and Snowbird are pretty rocky, so you need at least 100 inches of snowfall before many sections can open.)

check out this photo i took at solitude in march of 2005. 596 inches! and it was a snowy april that year as well.

fishnski
March 19, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Hey Z..missed you at the Luau...Ain't got your Lear Jet yet? ..The amount of water content in the Valleys snow would prob be more than Park city...It is a lush, foresty area..I Luv it!..If we didn't get another Flake the 5 year Ave would be 182.8 ..We are talkin well over 200 inches at 4770 MPC.. 220? Prove me wrong ..I got pics to prove how that MTN holds the snow & clouds longer than Weiss Knob(Canaan area)...Will post later. Yeh, My predict of 130 inches was passed a while ago I based that predict on the fact that the greatest snow comeback in Canaans history after a top 10 bad start was about 130..so I was thinking positive..should have went for more but I started to listen to the Mash ....Enjoy your Trip out West!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
JohnL
March 19, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

check out this photo i took at solitude in march of 2005. 596 inches! and it was a snowy april that year as well.

Looking carefully at the TV screen, best ski week of my life, I remember it well. IIRC, something like 8 feet of lite Utah fluff in 6 days towards the end of March (Easter week?) Several beyond epic days at Alta and Solitude; hooked up with some kick azz locals at Alta. Found out a year later, several of the lines I wuz skiing at Solitude were actually over cliffs that were filled in by snow.

CV is probably one of the most underrated locations on the east coast. It seems to be Winter there when every where else is Spring. But if FishNSki ever experienced an epic day skiing 40+ degree slopes in waist-deep Utah fluff, MPC would be in the words of the Smithereens, Only a Memory.
tempfishnski
March 20, 2007
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
66 posts
Yeh,Yeh..I Hear ya! Sounds like you could get addicted to that experience like Crack...I'd finally get my 1st powder Dump Experience & then spend the rest of my life & all my savings chasing it down again....Just like buying Crack, the Quality just ain't always "All That" a person can get beat..like I did when I spent a week at Vail/BC & it would have happened again this year if i would have bit on the Utah Pipe!.During that week I spent there, I could have been going down a slightly less Pitch with maybe only knee deep action at MPC & then Crashing at My House just up the street! You can chase it Brother...It ain't for everyone....Bring on Almost heaven so us homefolk can kick back & enjoy our beloved Alpps..One day a few years from now you just might appreciate an area like MPC!
Roger Z
March 20, 2007
2,181 posts
That's all skiing is, it's a crack addiction, which is why- just like crack- it's important to start 'em young. Last winter I took maybe a dozen perfect turns through some powder in the bowls above The Canyons. These 12 turns were so memorable that I swore that I would wait 28 years to take 12 turns like that again. It's pretty amazing when you can justify almost three decades of skiing in about 20 seconds, but that's what good powder skiing does for ya.

So if skiing is like crack, what kind of addiction can this be called? Only one thing my friends: powdah.

"What are you, a crack addict?"

"Nah, I'm a POWDAH addict!"

JohnL there are rumors floating of a potential biggie this weekend in the Rockies, but I'm betting it stays a rumor. If it doesn't, well, you'll know where to find me...
MadMonk
March 20, 2007
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Fishnski, believe it or not you can get a fix for the addiction on the east coast/mid-atlantic and out west. If anything skiing is more like a good bourbon, scotch, wine or beer: There are lots of different variations and many of them are surprisingly good.
tempfishnski
March 20, 2007
66 posts
Crack is a derivitive of powder cocaine...just a little more intense & a whole lot more expensive! SOOoo Get your Crack in Utah & your POWDER at MPC!...its all good Wait a minute..what am I saying i hope you all get some face shots before the winter is done...would love to hear it
tempfishnski
March 20, 2007
66 posts
thats what I'm trying to say Madmonk...If it ain't challenging enough for you here in the midatlantic...drink some good bourbon
crunchy
March 20, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
cmon now, all this hostility and here i was thinking that Mr Fishnski was just a peaceful deadhead hippy freak like myself. Peace and Powder to the people!
fishnski
March 20, 2007
3,530 posts
Come on Crunch Master...you needed to post that WV Powder pick on this thread Where's the back up? Deadhead? Nahh I'm just a Freak...too busy to be a hippy. Ted Nugent-Van halen..with David Lee Roth...Led Zep..aerosmith...walk this way & let me show you how to walk this Dog!...Harder the rock the better...But it has to have some beat...throw in some James Brown...Cuzzz I'm Just an AVERAGE WHITE BOY ..........Anyway you don't diss on a bad ass WV Mtn without a "Comment"...Fair play Brother!...Peace in the Middle East....The Mid Atlantic coastal zone of the good ole US OF A....screw the other muthas!
crunchy
March 20, 2007
596 posts
Quote:

Come on Crunch Master...you needed to post that WV Powder pick on this thread Where's the back up?

hehe, I think everyone knows how I feel about skiing in the WV Highlands by now, and have been sick of me raving about it since I joined the forum Oh well, Im just an over-enthusiastic skier and powder junkie with too much free time on my hands I guess. Altho, sadly, I wont be skiing there this weekend because I leave for SLC next week. Which im starting to wonder if they will even have any snow left with their extended warm spell out there!
fishnski
March 20, 2007
3,530 posts
Capn..there are a whole lot of folks eating up your posts..myself included! I'm going to start some snow dances for your Utah trip. Looks like a few inches for the next couple of days..more the higher up you go. Then a lull...spring like conditions....enjoy all the wide open & long verticle runs...then hopefully you can end your trip(you there a week?) with a couple days of freshies!....I caught some freshies today......Some great eye candy at Wrightsville beach..been awhile ..More in the F-cast for this weekend(near 80 both days)
jimmy
March 21, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Have a good trip captain, as far as
Quote:

me raving about it since I joined the forum

dewd you found the one percent that understands, send us some pictures from Zion .
Roger Z
March 21, 2007
2,181 posts
Quote:

send us some pictures from Zion

But will Crunchy be Iron like a Lion???
crunchy
March 21, 2007
596 posts
Quote:

Quote:

send us some pictures from Zion

But will Crunchy be Iron like a Lion???

yeah, but I have to run like a fugitive, to save the life i live!

too funny, i was just listening to that on the way into work today
JohnL
March 21, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Crunchy,

If you want to buy a discount lift ticket to Alta and\or Powder Mountain (below discount face value), send me a PM.
crunchy
March 21, 2007
596 posts
Quote:

Crunchy,

If you want to buy a discount lift ticket to Alta and\or Powder Mountain (below discount face value), send me a PM.

awesome thanks man.. PM sent! starting to look like there might be a big dumping a day before i get there (keeping fingers crossed)
JohnL
March 21, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Crunchy,

PM with contact info sent.
langleyskier
April 8, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
just thought i would post an update-

as of 7PM this evening the Valley is sitting at 179.7"!!!

thats:
14 for april
34 for march
59 for february
55 for january
11 for december
3 for november
4 for october

something is wrong when a 4 day total in April amounts to more snow than the whole of december!
tempfishnski
April 9, 2007
66 posts
with this mornings tally, the 5 year ave for Canaan is at 186 inches....& its still snowing lightly on this frosty April 9th ...... just think what it will be with that late april 30 inch dump...it could happen

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.