Help! 7S, Timberline, or not at all!
19 posts
12 users
4k+ views
AnyaK
January 5, 2007
Member since 10/31/2004 🔗
9 posts
Just thought I'd see if anyone could weigh in. A group of friends and I have had reservations for two months to go to Seven Springs on Sunday for three days. They're open, but none of us are excited about the conditions. I called 7S today and they said that we could cancel (though normally you can't unless they close completely). But we all have the time off and really want to go skiing! We could switch to Timberline, which appears to have slightly better conditions and expected temps, but my friends do not want to go to Snowshoe or Wisp. I don't think much else is open. Or we could not go at all. Rescheduling for later in the season would be extremely difficult, although not out of the question. What do you guys think? We're all on the fence.

Thanks,
Anya
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 5, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Go to 7 Springs. There are many, many off-slope activities there to keep you busy. You can rent bikes and enjoy Great Allegheny Passage bike trail or enjoy the football games at the Foggy Goggle. Go bowling or roller skating. Enjoy the all-you-can-eat seafood buffets. Have fun as a group. That's what 7 Springs is all about. It's not always about skiing--it's about having a good time with friends.
Clay
January 5, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
It's probably a toss up. The warm weather has really been tough on both places. Timberline has done a fanastic job keeping what it has opened open, but I wonder if they are going to make it through the weekend without having to shut down a few trails (the drop is no longer open).

Fingers crossed - NWS is calling for a chance of snow Sunday night - Tuesday. Accuweather just on Tuesday, but either way, it looks like temps should get low enough to make some snow.

Full disclosure: I will be at T-Line this weekend

Clay
fishnski
January 5, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Timberline traitor!! Its going to snow like crazy late sunday on!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 5, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
If you really want to ski in the mid-Atlantic at this time I suggest you suck it up and go to Snowshoe. They have the most open trails, are higher than anyone else thus more potential for snow making temps, etc.
The Colonel
Clay
January 5, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Quote:

I have been so disappointed so many times I guess I have given up hope. Please forgive me. It's going to snow LIKE CRAZY late Sunday on!!!

Clay
tgd
January 5, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Quote:

Quote:

I have been so disappointed so many times I guess I have given up hope. Please forgive me. It's going to snow LIKE CRAZY late Sunday on!!!

Clay

I'm a believer, Andy's a weather savant. It's gotta snow like mad Sunday on - I'll call it in now: 15" fresh by Wednesday morning.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 6, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Andy,

I'm pushing 7 Springs because of the non-skiing activities there. At Timberline, there are far fewer non-ski activities than at 7S.
jimmy
January 6, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
johnfmh you took the words right out of my mouth in your first post.

AnyaK, "or not at all" is not an option . Andy is right the weather is turning Sunday. Conditions shouldn't get any worse while you're there and the weather is always ok in the matterhorn .
fishnski
January 6, 2007
3,530 posts
Yeh...15 inches!!...Your adding the manmade snow to the total..Right TGD?...Could be for real in a couple of weeks with some Artic air over them warm Lakes..YEE HAA!..Just Goofin Johnf..you are the sensable one!
SpringsRegular
January 6, 2007
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
7S will turn the gins on Monday night and they will not turn off till Thursday.
Tucker
January 6, 2007
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
It's all good...going out and making the best of what you got is what it's all about...there is fun to be had in any conditions anywhere...it's all about what you make off it...you can't throw a "I'd rather be skiing" bumper sticker on your ride if you don't mean it..

The conditions weren't epic by any means but over the past two days I have had two great halfday lesson/training sessions with some great folks...one of those sessions that you look up at the clock and go whoa, where did the time go...dcski club has some great folks, thanks for the oppurtunity to share my experiences and some of my bag of tricks that I have picked up over the years...

on a side note Karma will get ya...I spent most my day laughing at folks who had found there way into the mud and were covered...all kinds of folke covered with mud todat...I rode up on one kid who just took a crazy mud/slide wreck and was so muddy you couldn't tell what color his pants where and when he blinked his eyes mud fell from his eyelids...no joke...but yep karma got me...as I was walking off the deck later in the day I slipped and took a digger right into the mud...

...I saw a girl doing mud angels on the snow today...
wvrocks
January 6, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
i saw an unguided mud missile at T'line today.
Tucker
January 6, 2007
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Was he a mud monkey or a dirt chicken???
tgd
January 6, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Quote:

Yeh...15 inches!!...Your adding the manmade snow to the total..Right TGD?...Could be for real in a couple of weeks with some Artic air over them warm Lakes..YEE HAA!

Sure, I'm being optimistic - but this board really need some positive thoughts right now though.
snosnugums
January 6, 2007
Member since 04/10/2006 🔗
126 posts
I can't believe this but the forcast for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday of next week is for temps in the high 50's. Of course this is from Innaccuweather. But if it is correct, all I can say is "can we ever get a frickin break!!!!!!
bawalker
January 7, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I decided to compare Accuweather, weather.com, intellicast, NOAA.gov, and WeatherUnderground for their forecast for the next several days Using McHenry, MD as the base. I'm curious to see how great the differences are amongst them.

AccuWeather (H/L)
-----------------
Sun : 48/28 Cldy
Mon : 38/20 SnShw
Tue : 34/18 Snow
Wed : 32/16 Cldy
Thu : 45/22 Snny
Fri : 42/24 Snny
Sat : 47/30 Snny

Weather.com (H/L)
-----------------
Sun : 46/37 Shwrs
Mon : 37/27 SnShw
Tue : 33/22 Snow
Wed : 32/24 SnShw
Thu : 43/35 Cldy
Fri : 49/41 Shwrs
Sat : 60/37 Shwrs

Intellicast (H/L)
-----------------
*Can't Find McHenry, MD In the database*

NOAA.gov (H/L)
--------------
Sun : 47/31 Rain
Mon : 39/23 SnShwr
Tue : 32/20 Snow
Wed : 31/21 Clear
Thu : 42/30 Cldy
Fri : 43/34 Shwrs
Sat : 45/xx Shwrs

WeatherUnderground (H/L)
------------------------
Sun : 48/32 Precip
Mon : 38/22 Snow
Tue : 31/19 Snow
Wed : 30/20 Cloudy
Thu : 41/30 Cloudy
Fri : n/a
Sat : n/a

So that goes to show, the forecasts are all over the map with this.
snosnugums
January 7, 2007
Member since 04/10/2006 🔗
126 posts
Since I posted, they changed the forecast. At least the forecast got colder. I would say the forecast is fairly accurated 3 days out, beyond that the acuracy goes down.
fishnski
January 7, 2007
3,530 posts
Intellicast copies Weather.com. If you look at the 10 day For Davis there might be only 1 degree off for 1 of the highs or lows. I guess they change a temp here & there so they don't get sued..I Dunno..as Jimmi says. Weatherunderground follows the NWS F-cast. They are good for their Personal Weather Stations. All the weather talk for the last couple of weeks has been for the real winter to begin mid Jan. We will have a preview the 1st half of this work week..SNOW! Wish I could be skiing wed Or Thur..If you like skiing in snow Tue will be your day....Then we get Mountain Mashed this weekend & then MID JAN!!....I 'll be skiing jan 19,20,21st...I've been living in shorts & T-shirts forever..Hope its not TOO COLD!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.