WHAT SNOW??????????
31 posts
15 users
5k+ views
Mountain Masher
February 28, 2005
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
So far it looks like the weather-men/women have blown the forecast (big-time) here in South-Central PA (near BK State Park). As of noon we've received just a dusting of snow and the sun is trying to come out! Of course, we might receive some snow later today and tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.
jimmy
February 28, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
MM-Keep your fingers crossed, Rain just turned over to snow here on the western front, nice flakes, I'll send you as much as I can.
gatkinso
February 28, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
It is snowing like a biach here in baltimore
Roger Z
February 28, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Six inches and counting here in Blacksburg. More in the WV mountains. You didn't do the reverse karma boogie with us MM, so it ain't snowin' up there.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
bawalker
February 28, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
http://community.webshots.com/album/284957216bPgcTO

Here is pictures from the snow here outside of Wardensville. They were taken around 11am this morning before I started shoveling.
Mountain Masher
February 28, 2005
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
Hope not! Actually, South-Central PA is going to get another chance for some snow. As the coastal storm either moves out to sea or up into New England, a snow-storm from the Ohio Valley is going to move across PA. Plus, we're likely to have snow-squalls and snow-flurrries for the next 2 or 3 weeks!
Jim
February 28, 2005
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Ah, hope springs eternal - or should that be eternal spring ends hope? In downtown DC, the snow is falling and NOT sticking. The weather forecasters are starting their usual ground work for the excuses sure to come:

"The storm didn't track the right way"
"The POTENTIAL was there for a big one"
"If only the storm had headed more north - south rather than northeast - southwest"
"blah blah blah blah"

Its all the same rubbish - there is NO SNOW!! There was supposed to be 10 INCHES. Now weather sites are reporting maybe 3 or so. HA!

I also checked the websites for the close-in areas (Liberty, Whitetail). Nothing much going on there either. It could be snow, but it looks more like fog and there's no white coating on the trees.

Man - I wish I were a weather forecaster. Then I could make my living being WRONG all the time as well.
Snowmakers
February 28, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Well they werent wrong for me. 8" out there now. forecast of 9-14" and still snowing pretty good. Its definately not a bust for me. Im getting the exact thing I imagined. I dont see how you could consider this a total bust anyway as the mountains have picked up around 10" with another 6" forecasted tonight as upslope takes effect. I see why your pissed but this storm is not a bust by no means. Even the NC mountains picked up 6-12".
JohnL
February 28, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
For this storm, the weather forecasters were pretty clear about the uncertainty of the rain/snow ratio for the DC area (and presumably the closer-in Snowtime areas.) On Saturday evening, none of the TV weathermen wouldn't make any prediction whatsover; they just punted. The Sunday forecasts I saw stated the trend was toward the likehood of more snow than rain, but they still mentioned the uncertainty. Of course, the rest of the news program jumped into the "Blizzard of '05" story angle. That happens all the time.

The 1 PM update on Whitetail's site still says 6-12" expected before the storm ends. That may be optimistic, but let's see what happens.
jb714
February 28, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Jim:

I couldn't agree more. I've lived in this area for 20 years and I can count on one hand how many storms have NOT mixed with/turned to sleet. Seems to me that being a forecaster in this area should be easy - simply assume that the dreaded rain/snow line will creep up to downtown DC, and forecast accordingly.
queenoftheslopes
February 28, 2005
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
bleh. I am disappointed I get no snow day.

I remember in Feb 2003, the weather reporters said that we would not get more than 3 inches or so. That is when we got 17 inches in DC. hehe, go figure.

I am planning to go to Timberline this weekend, so as long as they get dumped with snow, I don't care too much what happens here.
bawalker
February 28, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
queenoftheslopes - What day are you heading upto Timberline? I'm planning on going up there too.
queenoftheslopes
February 28, 2005
143 posts
We are driving up Friday night, and then skiing Sat and Sunday, and probobly driving home Sunday night. I may have to take it a bit easy this weekend as my upper arm and shoulder are still a little painful after I was run over on Presidents Day weekend.

Will you be there all weekend?
ski_guy_59
February 28, 2005
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
I picked the right weekend to go to T-Line! I'll be there Saturday and Sunday and can't wait!
bawalker
February 28, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I would probably go either Friday or Saturday, doing a one day trip up and back. I would ride from around 8:00-4:30 and if I had a few extra bucks, maybe do Canaan from 4:30-8pm.
bawalker
February 28, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Ski_guy: What time on Sat?? Maybe this could be that informal DCSki gathering! lol
JohnL
February 28, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I may be participating in a West Virginia Whale Preservation Meeting on Saturday.

The direction I head this weekend depends upon which whales get the most snow. The whales in the Catskills are also endangered and in need of help ...
jimmy
February 28, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

I may be participating in a West Virginia Whale Preservation Meeting on Saturday.

Save the Whales!!
Roger Z
February 28, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Since I'll be in CV on Monday and Tuesday, will y'all please do me a favor and GET SOME MOGUL FIELDS going, for Pete's sake!!!

I'm staying at a cabin at Blackwater Falls State Park. Little interesting tidbit: if you call and mention the spring 20% off midweek special, you can get a cabin for 65 bucks a night including tax (need to stay two or more nights). If anyone wants to crash up there send me an e-mail and we can talk.

Boarderbabe is especially welcome to crash.
ski_guy_59
February 28, 2005
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
BA - I assume we will be at T-Line by noon on Saturday....so any time after that. I'll be the college guy in black ski pants and a blue/white jacket with a black helmet. I'll be wearing shades if it's sunny and goggles if it's cold or snowy. Might have the DCSki pin on, just depends if I remember to take it off my hat and wear it!
bawalker
February 28, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I'll try to get there around 9 to get some close to first tracks, but that depends on if a few friends come along. I'll be there in the black helmet with stickers on it, grey snowboarding pants, shiny blue sunglasses, blue/grey coat, but most importantly look for my blue and purplish "Forum" snowboard.
queenoftheslopes
March 1, 2005
143 posts
I will be staying at some hotel at Black Water Falls. I am not sure how far this is from the slope, but it was about $76 per night including tax, so the price is right.

I should be on the slopes at around 9ish, I like to get started early! I will be wearing a powder blue parka, black ski pants, light blue helmet and Dynastar skis. Tromano will be with me and is wearing greyish or black ski pants, blue/black parka probobly Fischer Big Stix 7.6 skis.

See you all on the slopes???
BushwackerinPA
March 1, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
I am planning on going to blue knob tomorrow(wednesday) how much snow did they receive from the strom so far. Oh yeah i am going alone so if anyone want to meet up PM, or just look for a guy with silver helmet, black/ yellow oakley wisdoms, and flat black line darksides, that knows alittle about skiing.

South of pittsburgh we only recieved 4 inches of snow, i have never seen it snow so much and not lay.
kwillg6
March 1, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Hey, since a lot of DC ski members will be at t-line
this weekend, I hope to see some of the faces behind the handles. I won't get there until saturday pm but my spousal unit will be there enjoying the offerings. This is the weekend of the WV Govoners Cup and it will be held on lower thunder and part of upper thunder from the pump house. If anyone is into racing, its a GS on Saturday and a Slalom on Sunday. Even if not into racing, the snow is gonna be GREAT!
langleyskier
March 1, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I will be at wisp this weekend with the fam. it is looking pretty good for some powder (snow showers this weekend) but ive never skied wisp in its entirety and heard it is not to great. O well as long as i get to ski!!
bawalker
March 1, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Hrm, I think we need to make a list of people who are going to Timberline and at what time and have a group meeting point. That way everyone else isn't racing down off the mountain everywhere in order to catch someone that looks like a DCSkier. lol
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Not sure where exactly you are staying, but several chair companions last weekend indicated they were staying in Davis for the same amount of money and "NEVER AGAIN"!!! I stayed at the Canaan Lodge for about $40/night more and the accommodations and amenities were great. Just a suggestion!
The Colonel
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Now if you are staying at the Blackwater Falls Park Lodge, that is another story. Nice accommodations and amenities, about 10-15 minutes from the slopes.
Sorry for the confusion.
The Colonel
jimmy
March 2, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Happy Birthday to you!
queenoftheslopes
March 2, 2005
143 posts
Colonol, thanks for the info. I am pretty sure we are staying at the blackwater falls lodge.

I have never been to T-line before, so I am looking forward to it!
bawalker
March 2, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I guess I'll have to give tours of T-Line to you queen and any others.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?