Howdy!
8 posts
4 users
1k+ views
SkiBumMSP
December 8, 2004
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Just want to introduce myself. I've been poking around on this site for a little while, and figure now is a good time to get involve in the forum.

I am 35 years old, and have been skiing for 23 of those years. The last 4 years as part of the Massanutten Ski Patrol (the "MSP" in my hndle). So, for anything Massanutten, I can probably help.

This site has already proven itself pretty valueble. For example, I am looking for some good skiing around the Uniontown part of PA. I, of course, already knew of the areas near there - Seven Springs, Wisp, and Hidden Valley, as I've skiied two those (never been to Wisp, though). Was intersting to get more up-to-date info on those areas, as the last time I skiied Hidden Valley was something 14 years ago. I've seen they added a bit to it since. I guess which one I ski at will pretty much depend on the conditions, although I am leaning towards Wisp, as I've never skiied there before, and it is not nearly as far off the way home (Fredericksburg, VA).

Looking forward to meeting folks on here, and I hope to see you on the slopes (most likely, Massanutten, wearing the coveted red jacket with white cross )
Jim
December 8, 2004
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Hey Steven!

Welcome!! Always good to see a fellow patroller join in.

Jim
SkiBumMSP
December 8, 2004
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

Hey Steven!

Welcome!! Always good to see a fellow patroller join in.

Jim

Thanks. Cool, you a patroller also, eh? I'll admit, this is a pretty nice site. Until I found this site, I just never realized just how much skiing there really is around here within a days trip. I've known about most of the areas listed here, but I have yet to ski several of them, such as Ski Roundtop and Ski Liberty, for example.

Thanks for the welcome.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 9, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,991 posts
Steven:

Welcome.

You might get a kick out of this article written last year by Jarrett Baker:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=278&mode=headlines
Jim
December 9, 2004
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
SkibumMSP - come on up to Liberty and check in with the patrol before you get your ticket (far end of the line of buildings on the opposite side of lift ticket both). We extend certain courtesies to our fellow patrollers. Its also fun to exchange thoughts and ideas on making operations more efficient and how to better serve our customers (the skiing/riding public).
SkiBumMSP
December 9, 2004
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

You might get a kick out of this article written last year by Jarrett Baker:

I've seen that article before. It is well written and pretty much describes Masanutten as it is.

In fact, I was there that same weekend. And I think I know who that patroller is that is in that picture (it is not me, though).

Also, to Jim

Thanks for the offer. I'll see if I have a free weekend to get up there to Liberty. Of course, the big thing for me will be the week I'll be spending out in Brekenridge, CO in February. Soooo looking forward to that!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 9, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,991 posts
Steve:

I am not on the Timberline Patrol but I suspect they have a similar policy given how many patrollers I see there on some weekends. Sometimes patrollers outnumber skiers.
langleyskier
December 10, 2004
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Welcome! Ive skiied wisp once and they have some ok terrain but a great snowmaking system!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.