3,110 posts
http://www.wintergreenresort.com/
See it for yourself!!!
The Colonel
Murphy
December 4, 2004
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
I know we all want to see openings as soon as possible but does it seem odd that resorts are choosing now to start making snow? There's a pretty significant southern system moving into the area Monday and Tuesday bringing rain and very mild temps. It's supposed to be followed by a cold front so why not wait 'til then. Maybe they're just testing. Maybe they think some of it will be snow.
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 4, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
A lot of it is testing. There's a lot that can go wrong with snowmaking so they want to make sure the system is ready to go, and have a few days to make any necessary repairs. For example, Whitetail made a small amount of snow last night, but I don't think they expect it to last much longer than today. Hopefully in a few days we'll get some nice sustained cold temperatures.
Murphy
December 4, 2004
618 posts
That makes sense. I've heard some astronomical prices for what it costs to run those things. I'm sure they don't take it lightly. Hopefully they'll be doing it for real in a few days.

ps: Go HOKIES!!! Just won the ACC championship.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 4, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
In many cases, such as Wintergreen, the resort has been making snow for some time. Even with bad weather coming, sonw is made to build up the base whenever possible. Then they don't have to start over after a short warm spell, the more snow they make the more thay can compact it foer a hard to melt base.
The Colonel
Oh, and from a Wahoo, congratulations to the Hokies. I think they are probably playing the best ball in the country right now and deserve to be ranked higher.
The Colonel
Murphy
December 4, 2004
618 posts
Quote:

Oh, and from a Wahoo, congratulations to the Hokies. I think they are probably playing the best ball in the country right now and deserve to be ranked higher.
The Colonel

Thanks, you're alright for a 'hoo

But to be honest, I'm actually an LSU Tiger at heart. The Hokies have just grown on me since I've lived in Blacksburg for the last 5 years.
Ullr
December 5, 2004
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Quote:

The Hokies have just grown on me since I've lived in Blacksburg for the last 5 years.

Your a better man than I am. I could live there for 100 years, and I still wouldn't cheer for the turkey's.....
Roger Z
December 5, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
What is a Hokie? AN ACC CHAMP, THAT'S WHAT!!!

The game against Miami yesterday was the first football game I was excited about in over a decade. It's been fun being around here, but I heard downtown yesterday was not the place to be. VA Tech is looking surprisingly strong right now; shame there isn't a playoff in football.

And, frankly, it's nice seeing that SOME football team around here still knows how to win. Stupid Snyder.

Back to skiing...

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?