snowmaking!!!
16 posts
11 users
4k+ views
sean116
November 1, 2007
Member since 11/19/2006 🔗
16 posts
new to this forum and thought i would start out with a good post...

http://www.killington.com/winter/mountain/interactive_gallery/daily_photos

rmcva
November 1, 2007
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts

Welcome - pics made my day. It's getting closer all the time!
Snowmakers
November 1, 2007
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
In case nobody was aware, Sunday River was open on Halloween Day.

They may open Saturday.

And rumor has it snowshoe plans to make snow tonight.
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 2, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Snowshoe planned to make snow on Thursday night, but due to a temperature inversion they weren't able to fire up the snowguns until 4 a.m. this morning, and only on the lower portions of the mountain where the temperature hovered at the freezing mark. At 4:30 a.m. it was 37 degrees at the top of the mountain. Snowshoe expects temps to drop below freezing Friday night and will make snow at the top of the mountain if possible.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Snowmakers
November 2, 2007
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Yess. I read the article.

Me and a few friends plan to go up Saturday morning and hike wherever the snow is. I'm imagining it being at the bottom of Powdermonkey right now. They should be able to make snow on the entire trail tonight.

Hopefully there is some on skidder in the morning. Easy access.
sean116
November 3, 2007
16 posts
snowshoe just posted pics of their snowmaking. looks like they started last night.

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/mountain/photos/November07/index.htm
hockeydave
November 3, 2007
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
If you look at the long range weather forecasts, I wouldn't be surprised if other resorts such as Seven Springs, Wisp & now also Hidden Valley start firing guns starting midweek.
gizmosnow
November 3, 2007
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Re: HV, I would be surprised if they are ready for a fast start out of the gate this season even if the weather were to cooperate. But, given the circumstances (i.e., they've only had 2mos since acquiring a 'run-down' infrastructure and operation) I think they deserve a bit of slack for this season. This past weekend I noticed what appeared to be one M18 in it's final, mounted position at the bottom of imperial and a cement truck at the top of continental - possibly pouring footers for M18 platforms.

I was told that their target opening date is 12/14. I'm thinking that's acceptable, given the circumstances and think they will have done an incredible job if they make it.
appskiah
November 6, 2007
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
88 posts
Ski Sugar down in NC has started making snow. I think they'll probably open this weekend or sooner. But then they'll have to close down until the next wave of cold. Its suppose to warm up quite a bit early next week.

http://www.highcountrywebcams.com/webcameras_extremeSugar.htm
langleyskier
November 6, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I doubt sugar will open. They will probably do the same thing as snowshoe and keep the snow guns in one place and create humps that will ensure they can open for thanksgiving. If they groom out the snow then it is spread out (more sfc area) and will melt much faster. It will be a lot more profitable for them to be open during the week of thanksgiving then to be open for a single weekend in early november....
appskiah
November 6, 2007
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
88 posts
NC ski areas don't mess around with blowing snow. Cataloochee is opening Wednesday afternoon and Sugar will follow suite Thursday, if they don't open Wednesday morning. Sugar opened for a weekend (Nov. 15) in 2003 then had to shut it down for a bit. I don't know how much they benefit from it, but Sugar and The Cat still take some pride in opening early, unlike certain big resorts well to our north. \:\/

Hopefully there'll be some skiing this weekend in NC. I'll be in Boone for the football game, so if I could squeeze in some runs, I'd be estatic.
jimboc
November 7, 2007
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
David
November 7, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: jimboc

25 bucks to ski 2 slopes in North Carolina at the beginning of November.. Almost sounds ridiculous....................I'd probably still go
kwillg6
November 7, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Just think if the CV area had the additional 1000" + that sugar has.
langleyskier
November 8, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
well i was wrong
sean116
November 8, 2007
16 posts
so i was looking at roundtops web cams and they have their lights on the beginner terrain on. i doubt they are going to test out their snowmakers. why else would they have them on?

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.