Wintergreen Shooting for a Nov. 26 Openning
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 18, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
The Wintergreen website indicates that they are making snow and anticipate a Nov. 26 start to the season. Wintergreen has a fantastic snowmaking capability.
The Colonel
langleyskier
November 19, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I am going to be there starting thurs. (as i have stated in previous posts) and am really excited with the prospect of good snowmaking temps, possibility of a strong early season storm that could dump some serious snow on the slops, and me coincidentally being there opening day!!

My only question for those who really know the resort is if they will try and open more then just beginner slopes or if they will go for the real deal and a quality opening day?
Snowmakers
November 19, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
I plan to be at Snowshoe Friday (Where they will be DUMPED on T-day), Wintergreen Sat, And possibly sunday too.
Aaron
November 20, 2005
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
I'll be at wintergreen. They plan for a Nov. 26 opening every year, and rarely make it. One of my freinds just came back from there today, and he said they've been blowing snow, and have cover on some of the slopes but not really any "base" yet. Well - cross your fingers and hope for the best - they'll probably just have dobie open if anything, but it would be awesome to get a few runs in on my rock skis
TLaHaye
November 20, 2005
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
I understand they're working on Dobie and Eagle's Swoop, a green and mild blue, respectively. I'd be surprised if they could open anything at The Highlands until early December.

Regardless, the Colonel is correct ... their snowmaking capabilities are amazing. Last year, after the washouts in January, we skied one weekend on two narrow ribbons of snow. The following weekend, with no natural snow (but temps in the teens), 90 % of the mountain was open, with good cover. We were skiing on 2 feet of snow, on Highlands slopes that we'd hiked (and found totally bare) the weekend before.

The snowmaking philosophy at Wintergreen, per resort management, is to achieve good cover on a few slopes rather than marginal cover on many. This is especially true in the early season. They would rather have some, albeit limited, skiing on a few slopes, than lose 100% of the resort to a January rain storm.

It sure worked last year. Those ribbons got pretty crowded, but no one else even had ribbons.
langleyskier
November 20, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Quote:

One of my freinds just came back from there today, and he said they've been blowing snow, and have cover on some of the slopes but not really any "base" yet.

What slopes were they making snow on?
Snowmakers
November 20, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
*Prays to God they are on Turkey Chute...*

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?