News Note: Wolf Creek, CO
3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
July 23, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
"Some people are using a four-letter word to describe what Red McCombs, owner of the Minnesota Vikings football team, has in mind for the base of the Wolf Creek ski area."

Vail Daily
Mountain Masher
July 23, 2004
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
I attended Ft. Lewis College, Durango, CO many years ago and was on the ski team. We used to do some early season training at Wolf Creek, before Purgatory (now Durango Mt. I believe) opened (for the season). Wolf Creek is located in a very fragile wilderness area, and it would be a crime to thrust a major development on such a pristine natural area. Much of CO has already been developed, so it's important to save places like Wolf Creek! Remember, once you develop or log a place, you can't go back; Blue Knob being a perfect example of this....
Roy
July 24, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
As far as the tourist goes, Pagosa springs is close enough to Wolf Creek and that's a better place to stay anyway. You've got the springs, good restaurants, and a small town atmosphere.

I've never skied Wolf Creek (it's on the list though) but we went to Pagosa Springs one summer on a tour of Southern Colorado. I'd much rather stay at the Pagosa Springs hotel after a hard day of skiing powder.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.