9 posts
5 users
1k+ views
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Roy
December 8, 2003
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I skied at Liberty on Sunday. They were making snow on all the open trails except Adventure Alley. Blue Streak didn't open until noon. I got 3 runs on it before it started to get too much attention.

Conditions weren't bad for this time of year. Blue Streak was actually packed powder conditions (they made snow all morning until they opened it). Most everything else was starting to develop some brown spots by the time I quit for the day. I'm sure this morning it's ok as they continued to make snow.

jimmer
December 9, 2003
Member since 11/25/2003 🔗
53 posts
Just skied there last night. Blue-streak was still open with decent coverage. However - the snow was starting to firm up in places. My guess is they didn't groom it from Sunday because of the forecasted rain. They wouldn't want to soften it up at all until after the rain passes & we have decent temps again.
jimmer
December 19, 2003
53 posts
Was there thurs night (12/18). Skiing was great if you don't mind running the gauntlet of snow guns on Upper Blue-Streak.
TONS of coverage. I also heard a rumour (from a reliable source) that they were going to open the back side Friday. Should be a great weekend!

jimmer
January 8, 2004
53 posts
I was just up there Wed night. The snow was incredible! I can't believe the amount & quality of snow they made already! Skiing directly under the guns was actually the best place to be since they were putting out sweet powder.

Absolutely no coverage issues except in the terrain park (didn't look like they blew much in there yet - I suspect they did last night though).

Roy
January 10, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I was there on Thursday and Friday. The guns never stopped. I think they are going to continue to keep them running as long as it's cold (like most places).
Otto
January 11, 2004
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
Liberty has made a ton of snow. As of today, everything is open except Strata, White Lightning and the Half-pipe.

No bare spots or rocks or mud to be seen.

Extreme cold makes for fairly dry man-made snow. Its very nice snow, put does get pushed to the edges of the trails by the end of the day.

No bumps anywhere yet and the most heavily used trails are slick in the spots where less competent boarders (and some skiers too) have elected to do the "road grader sideslip" but there is some really nice skiing out there right now.

Mandatory Disclaimer: I am a Liberty Employee.

[This message has been edited by Otto (edited 01-11-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Otto (edited 01-11-2004).]

twin58
January 11, 2004
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
"No bare spots or rocks or mud to be seen."

I'll take your word for it, but one of the webcams ("Cam 2 is looking looking at the loading area of the Alpine Quad Chairlift.") shows right much Irish snow in the background. You know: greener than your average snow?

http://www.skiliberty.com/webcams.htm

Still, I can't make out any frowns on the people there.

Otto
January 12, 2004
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
The green area in the background behind the chair is on the edge of a road. Snow is never made there.
MichaelB
January 13, 2004
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
Liberty just opened Sidewinder and Lower Strata this morning. I skiied there last night and they were blowing snow like crazy on the backside mtn. outer long run down to the snack bar. Conditions were fantastic. It ranged from fast and sweet to bare ice and hang on throughout the day. I took a friend from Colorado with me and he remarked that lift prices weren't that much different.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?