Liberty Conditions today?
5 posts
2 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
March 5, 2003
Does anyone know about the conditions at Liberty today first hand? I see on the website there is frozen gran. and it's going to be warm today. Kinda stinks, I'm planning on going to their "cheapo" night tonight, but the conditions aren't looking that great.
PhysicsMan
March 5, 2003
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
I know this isn't the on-the-scene report you were looking for, but in situations like this, you can pretty much figure out what the slope conditions are going to be from the weather (and the previous day's snow report - to ascertain coverage and grooming, mostly).

The last time I heard, its supposed to rain lightly and be in the 50's during the day (in town). Thus, during the day, you will likely have an inch or two of wet, creamy/sloppy snow on the trails. Skier traffic will be light (cuz its midweek) but by the end of the day, will probably be enough to push this around into tiny ruts on the flats and mini-moguls where it gets steeper and people start skiing defensively.

Depending on whether it gets below freezing or not at night (and when this happens), this top surface may either be pretty much like during the day, or, if it does get significantly below freezing, may get hard. If after-school skier traffic is heavy just as the top surface is re-freezing, it may be enough to keep the snow stirred up / scraped off / and quite nice. If it isn't, its going to be hard and fast.

HTH,

Tom / PM

(Anonymous)
March 5, 2003
I am at Liberty today and there has been no rain at all and there is pretty much nobody here! The skiing is loose granular but actually quite good.
PhysicsMan
March 5, 2003
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
Heh. That shows you how good the forecasts are. Right now (ie, 2 PM) Accuweather.com

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/hbh_local.asp?zipcode=17325&partner=accuweather&whend=1&whent=10&metric=0

is still calling for rain from about noon to 2 PM today, even tho that period has already passed.

With respect to temps, if you believe them, it looks like it isn't going to dip substantially below freezing tonight, so with the loose granular during the day and light traffic, the snow conditions tonight should be pretty good.

Tom / PM

(Anonymous)
March 5, 2003
Thanks for the info guys. I just have nightmares of the pure ice base and little ice pellets on top at Wintergreen around this time last year. I understand the winter is different this year, but the mention of gran. snow spooks me

Off to go check it out Liberty.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.