Mount Snow in Jan.
11 posts
9 users
4k+ views
9 users
4k+ views
Anybody ever have a chance to visit this place during January and remember what the conditions were like? Or what kind of experience I should expect?
A buddy of mine put together a group of about 20 and we are getting a sweet deal--$350 for lodging and tix for 5 days. I'm sure it is worth every penny but I know southern VT does not share the same massive amounts of snowfall that Stowe or Jay's does. Oh yeah, and if you are interested you're more than welcome to join the crew--that is, if you can stand being around a bunch of twenty-somethings all day
-Sam
A buddy of mine put together a group of about 20 and we are getting a sweet deal--$350 for lodging and tix for 5 days. I'm sure it is worth every penny but I know southern VT does not share the same massive amounts of snowfall that Stowe or Jay's does. Oh yeah, and if you are interested you're more than welcome to join the crew--that is, if you can stand being around a bunch of twenty-somethings all day
-Sam
Mount Snow is more iffy than Jay or Stowe, but if they don't have snow in January it would have to be the result of a winter lousy enough to knock out skiing in just about the entire east coast.
I have skied there in mid-December a number of times and most of the time there was plenty of mountain open. Of course, Mt. Snow is not the most beastly place in Vt, so if the snow is a little weak, you may not find lots of bumps...
I wouldn't worry about the snow. Bring warm stuff and be prepared to freeze your butt off...
I have skied there in mid-December a number of times and most of the time there was plenty of mountain open. Of course, Mt. Snow is not the most beastly place in Vt, so if the snow is a little weak, you may not find lots of bumps...
I wouldn't worry about the snow. Bring warm stuff and be prepared to freeze your butt off...
Originally Posted By: Otto
I wouldn't worry about the snow. Bring warm stuff and be prepared to freeze your butt off...
Been to Mt. Snow the end of January 3x's over past several years. Had great conditions each time. No fresh snow last year but, prior two trips had significant snow while there (and also some frigid temps).
Old trip report on Mt Snow: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=932&mode=headlines
Quite helpful brother.
Quite helpful brother.
You'll have a blast. Great little town, perfect for a large group looking to have a good time. The mountain won't knock your socks off, but it has something for everyone: long mellow cruisers on the front, solid bumps and steeper terrain on the north face, huge park scene in the carinthia area, plus another dedicated bump run and some less crowded cruisers in the sunbrook/bear trap area, along with lots of concerts/parties/etc. at the main base area. They get less natural snow than further north, but they have invested a ton in their snowmaking infrastructure.
I'v skied a bunch of days at Mt. Snow in early January and we always had good snow, but be ready for cold weather. January in VT is brutally cold and the days are very short.
jimmy & I skied there a couple of years ago at the end of April, here's a shot of Rip Cord.
Looking down Rip Cord
jimmy & I skied there a couple of years ago at the end of April, here's a shot of Rip Cord.
Looking down Rip Cord
Originally Posted By: SCWVA
jimmy & I skied there a couple of years ago at the end of April, here's a shot of Rip Cord.
Looking down Rip Cord
Scott, I couldn't see you skiing something like that. I thought you only skied groomers?
Everybody pretty much spot-on for skiing Mt. Snow in Jan. Like the Mid-Atlantic, it can get "underdeveloped snow", but the huge snow making capability can overcome this situation overnight. Temps can be really, really, cold, so come prepared.
The Colonel
The Colonel
Originally Posted By: David
Originally Posted By: SCWVA
jimmy & I skied there a couple of years ago at the end of April, here's a shot of Rip Cord.
Looking down Rip Cord
Scott, I couldn't see you skiing something like that. I thought you only skied groomers?
You're right, much too bumpy for me.
April weather much better than January, flipflops, shorts, tshirts and deck beers apres.

