Catamount/Windham?
3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
scootertig
December 30, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I think we may try to escape north to Catamount and/or Windham for NY day and Saturday, depending on how easily I can get away from work tomorrow afternoon.

Anyone skied these? Are we signing up for a world of hurt with crowds, etc? If we figure that NY day is going to be the lighter crowd day, and Saturday will be heavier, which mountain should we hit on the lighter day?

Based on Google maps, it looks like they're estimating 6.5 hours or so. Does that seem reasonable?

We were hoping to head to Magic Mountain in Vermont, but my friends from Maine can't make the trip down, so we might wait for later in the season so that they can join us...

aaron
wojo
December 30, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
I have skied Windham and enjoyed it, no comment on the crowds. I went mid week. 6.5 hours is about right with nominal traffic.
catskills
December 31, 2009
Member since 06/29/2004 🔗
53 posts
I agree Jan 1 should not be busy. Windham has more intermediate terrain and Hunter has more expert terrain.

For Sat Jan 2 - I would recommend Belleayre Mountain for a less crowded trail experience and high quality snow conditions. Again its important to get there early for high quality morning snow. Park at the upper Overlook lodge. Ski the SuperChief High Speed Quad with blue trail Roaring Brook and Onondaga off the top from 8:30am to 10:30am. AFter that head west to Lift 7. Take lift 7 and get off at midstation to take Tomahawk crossing trail west over to the Tomahawk lift. Take Tomahawk lift to top for blue intermediate trail Deer Run or enjoy the ever popular single black diamond Dot Nebel trail.

Enjoy,

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.