52 posts
18 users
20k+ views
fishnski
November 22, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs...w_this_week.asp
This Accu dude has been talking about this scenerio for a few days now & the storm has been popping up on the GFS Model for 5 days or so. I keep Cking all the NWS stations & they don't mention it so I havn't posted till now because I've seen the NWS hold off till the last moment too many times & its just too tantalizing!....Anyway you look at it, the Snow line will get close to DC & maybe a ski area like Whitetail could get a boost from Mother nature to kick off the snowmaking season.The bulk of the snow though this T-Giving Weekend will be the upslope/LE for the Western Front Alpps...Look at WV on the precip type for 1pm FRI ...SNOW!..

PS..This is the Quietist group of DCskiers that I have seen in my years posting here..Wake up & Smell the Flakes!..make a comeback Crush..Come out of retirement Roger!!!...even David is hiding..
David
November 22, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
...even David is hiding..

Hiding? I wouldn't say hiding. Now hunting, maybe...

Last night's study break.
tskski
November 22, 2009
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
Hope he's right. Can't wait to see some snow. Planning on going to Wisp for their B-day weekend. Need some snow and cold temps to blow snow. Need to start the snow dance.
fishnski
November 22, 2009
3,530 posts
I root for any Snow F-cast Tskski!..Damage David...You showin your WV Colors there Budro!..So what do you do with the the Coon...Throw him away & Eat the Hunting Dog?...Playin Homie..heard Coon makes a great Coonroast(Potroast style)..or are you just going to skin it to keep your head warm this winter?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
David
November 22, 2009
2,444 posts
My buddy put it in the freezer. Said it was one of the better looking coons he's seen. Thinking that he may get it mounted if the price is right (which in my experience, it never is)... If anything he'll use it to train a pup.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 22, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
I can smell those flakes, fishnski! Bring 'em on, and the cold temperatures, too.

Thanks for the encouraging heads-up.

Woody
fishnski
November 22, 2009
3,530 posts
A little Hype soothes the Ski Loving Soul...Thanks for your Thanks Woody!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 22, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Here is the latest from Accuweather's Joe Bastardi:
"SUNDAY VIDEO ANNOUNCEMENTS
The Big Dog shows the ski country snow event For Thursday night into Friday in the northeast. My take is Thanksgiving weekend this year will be remembered as the dividing line between at top 10 warm November and a top ten cold December for the nation.
Lets put it this way, the Bastardi's are getting the Christmas Tree early this year, cause one past Thanksgiving, Joey is too old to go pick out trees and tie them up in the cold.
The Long Ranger shows what happens on the CFS when I am allowed to hack into the computer and create my own patterns (lol) It really cant get much better as far as what I would like to see for our winter forecast... and in fact its even colder looking than 02-03.
In any case you have access, so go look yourself."
In my opinion, when it comes to forecasting hurricanes and weather patterns, JOE IS IT!
The Colonel smile
GRK
November 22, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Please be right...
JohnL
November 22, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
6" of snow in November before the ground has frozen is fool's gold. Except for junkboarder Denis and Mr. Crunch... Snow won't even stick to the belly of some buddha statue at the top of MPC. whistle

We need some cold first. But it sounds like the worm could be turning...

Edit: responding to the OP.
JohnL
November 22, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
make a comeback Crush..Come out of retirement Roger!!!

Roger is probably skiing Wolf Creek right now. wink
GGNagy
November 23, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Could smell snow in the air this morning.... Then got in the truck and saw "46F"

Once the Turkey Bowl is over Sunday and I have gotten in 2-3 more sessions at Summit Point Kart, I will be ready for the white stuff.
langleyskier
November 25, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Take forecasts from all accu blogs with a massive grain of salt... Henry Margusity is the king of hype
fishnski
November 25, 2009
3,530 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
6" of snow in November before the ground has frozen is fool's gold. Except for junkboarder Denis and Mr. Crunch... Snow won't even stick to the belly of some buddha statue at the top of MPC

Thats a Statue of Bud-AHhhhh...A little beer belly..not too bad! Not a bad predict there Johnl..I'll see yer 6 & raise it by 2..show starts Thanksgiving Aft/eve.
Someone up in NE will get a foot which will be starting 24 hours after the Alpps...Ck out the Sods cam Fri morn!!
http://www.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&article=3
PS..here is accu's f-cast....Just whitened in the Alpps??..yeh right..
FreshPow
November 26, 2009
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts
Originally Posted By: langleyskier
Henry Margusity is the king of hype

True, but he reports on the long-range...there's going to be a higher degree of error. I watch him regularly, and sure he gets excited, but I've seen him pick a storm heading to VT 10 days out, letting you start to think about the possibility of a well-timed trip.

...any closer than that, I like the NWS.
David
November 26, 2009
2,444 posts
Snow in the highlands!

http://canaanweather.4t.com/
jeffo4
November 27, 2009
Member since 08/24/2007 🔗
134 posts
The ground is white in the Laurel Highlands
jeffo4
November 27, 2009
Member since 08/24/2007 🔗
134 posts
The models aren't looking nearly as favorable as they did yesterday
hockeydave
November 27, 2009
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Yep, and the next 2 or 3 days should melt all of today's snow and conditions don't look favorable to make any either.

As I posted on another thread, it isn't great out West either (except for Whistler). Vail only had 6 of 193 trails open yesterday.
fishnski
November 27, 2009
3,530 posts
Yeh Jeff,I've been a little bit in denial about the near future..I like to get excited about good cold weather but the fact is there isn't any real cold up in the Canadian Arctic to draw from. Its still on the other side where temps are as low as 36 below. the Coldest I see on our side is about 8 below cry..I like to see some 20 belows to feel good..I don't know maybe things can flip over fast (Above my pay grade)

Interesting about Vail H-Dave..We unfortunately need Whistler to warm up for us to get into the good pattern. Warm up one side cold down the other..law of nature..

1.7 inches at 3715 canaan as of 7am & 27 degrees..24 at the top of SS...about freezing at the top of killington peak with about 37 at 1600' so it could be snowing at the tippy top with the levels dropping all day..
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
November 27, 2009
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
man, it's a tough market out there. day after thanksgiving and we have sunday river - 3 slopes open, killington - nope, sugarloaf - nada. NC slopes are making snow with the best intentions. There's that old warren miller article where he says in the old days before corporate dollars and snowmaking, no one skied before christmas but alta and mammoth. maybe we are just too greedy now, but dang it, i want some snow.
David
November 27, 2009
2,444 posts
Looks like Wisp got in the action a little. They don't appear to be making much snow though. Maybe a little on the bunny slope.

http://www.wispresort.com/wisp/info/w.webcam.aspx
David
November 27, 2009
2,444 posts
Couldn't help but laugh when I checked Canaan's website. Was looking for their webcam. It still shows leaves on the trees. At least they have some color and aren't all green. That's up to date for them right??

And check out the pictures that cycle through. I've never seen any of those trails at Canaan....

http://www.canaanresort.com/winter-activities/ski-board/snow-report
David
November 28, 2009
2,444 posts
Looks like there's plenty of white stuff at the Shoe.

Check out there video with Awe Inspiring music
http://video.snowshoemtn.com/flash/player/

Some good pics too
http://www.snowshoemtn.com/mountain/dailyPhotos.htm
fishnski
November 28, 2009
3,530 posts
Luv them SS vids!..Snowshoe open at liberty mountain?..Confused..+ what were they sliding on..something real close to snow?(Staying on thread)..

I'm in serious Do Do with my Bro who drove all the way to Killington to ski Sun/Mon & they canceled eek..My F-cast I gave him was on point & They got 10 inches of Snow up on the Mountain but couldn't make snow at the bottom..What about tonite? mad..Anyway I warned him that it would be a close call but he was twisting my arm for the best case scenario..I told him to drive over to bretton Woods where they got 14 to 18 inches & go ski on a couple of bunny slopes... That didn't go over too well & now you know the rest of the story..DO DO!..Should I suggest that he watch some of these SS vids?..
ITM
November 30, 2009
Member since 10/16/2009 🔗
7 posts
fishnski.....The snowshoe open was held at Liberty University's (Lynchburg, VA) new Snowflex center. Snowflex is a new snow-like surface that is able to be used year round. So, Snowshoe held a competition on that surface @ Liberty University, not Liberty Mtn.
David
November 30, 2009
2,444 posts
Things are looking good at Snowshoe right now...

Their 2:45 update on Facebook: "DUMPING SNOW right now...pictures are coming, don't worry! And just some other updates, we're not sure on trails right now, we'll get that info up as soon as possible. The pool and Big Top will both be open this weekend. Tubing will not be. We're trying to figure out where/if we can get some terrain park features put i...n, we'd definitely like to. And rope drop ceremony at 9am on Sat. at top of Heisler's Way!"
Murphy
November 30, 2009
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Originally Posted By: David
Things are looking good at Snowshoe right now...

Their 2:45 update on Facebook: "DUMPING SNOW right now...pictures are coming, don't worry! And just some other updates, we're not sure on trails right now, we'll get that info up as soon as possible. The pool and Big Top will both be open this weekend. Tubing will not be. We're trying to figure out where/if we can get some terrain park features put i...n, we'd definitely like to. And rope drop ceremony at 9am on Sat. at top of Heisler's Way!"

Yep, you can see it on the Snowshoe webcam!
David
November 30, 2009
2,444 posts
White Out!!
Murphy
November 30, 2009
618 posts
White Out!!

Do I detect sarcasm?
David
November 30, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: Murphy
White Out!!

Do I detect sarcasm?

As did I in your post. Now you got me wondering though!
Murphy
November 30, 2009
618 posts
Well it ain't the best webcam in the world but....

http://www.bbcrental.com/webcam.html
fishnski
November 30, 2009
3,530 posts
Originally Posted By: ITM
fishnski.....The snowshoe open was held at Liberty University's (Lynchburg, VA) new Snowflex center. Snowflex is a new snow-like surface that is able to be used year round. So, Snowshoe held a competition on that surface @ Liberty University, not Liberty Mtn.

Hmmmmmmm...how much does that stuff cost per square foot?....If they get enough of these complexes up & running it might tire out all the boarders during the 3 other seasons & leave the SKI slopes in the winter to us skiers grin...They might get spoiled with the warmer temps....

That snow Snowshoe is having is just a blip untill the better stuff comes later on this week along with the good Snow making temps.
Abe
December 1, 2009
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts
Originally Posted By: Murphy
Well it ain't the best webcam in the world but....

http://www.bbcrental.com/webcam.html

Great find on the webcam, thanks!
David
December 2, 2009
2,444 posts
10:45 update: "Morning rain quickly turned to snow. It's too damp to make snow, but the next two days looks PERFECT weather-wise. Can't wait for Saturday!"
David
December 2, 2009
2,444 posts
Wow, it is REALLY raining out there right now. Sucks that it isn't 20 degrees colder. I hate this global storming stuff!! Oh wait, wrong thread... smile smile smile
David
December 3, 2009
2,444 posts
I'm tired of posting in this thread. I want to go skiing. To Andy/L-ski I pose a question. I'm going to Snowshoe one day this weekend. Everyone here at school wants to go on Saturday. I'm guessing for opening day festivities. I'm more of a fan of Sunday. 24 extra hours of snowmaking and fewer people. Weather wise, which is going to be the better day to be skiing? Hit me with your knowledge oh wise ones...
fishnski
December 3, 2009
3,530 posts
Sat will be a special day with Snow falling..not heavily but beautifuly..it will feel so good sliding on a thin layer of freshies as you shake off the slope rust...but then again Sun morn should see the end of any eve upslope snow activity & with the extra boost from SS's massive snow making power you should be enjoying 1 or two more open runs with less folks crowding you out...but Sat will be so special, opening day with snow..sooo pretty....
fishnski
December 3, 2009
3,530 posts
See where SS moved the Demo day back to Sun..that should seal the deal for Sun..shouldn't it?..lift tickets $55 eek..yeh Sun!
David
December 3, 2009
2,444 posts
See where SS moved the Demo day back to Sun..that should seal the deal for Sun..shouldn't it?..lift tickets $55 eek..yeh Sun!

Where'd you see that? This is all I found about their demo day

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/todo/events/calendar/december/demo-days.htm
fishnski
December 4, 2009
3,530 posts

Where'd you see that? This is all I found about their demo day

Look up..straight up into the tweet section.

Wintergreen is in a good spot for snow this Sat..SS & Canaan 2nd place...
Timberline if they stick to the thur opening next week will have fresh snow & Snowmaking friendly temps..
David
December 4, 2009
2,444 posts
Demo days on Sunday the 20th.
fishnski
December 4, 2009
3,530 posts
Opps/Duhhh...Sorry Dude..How bout more snow falling than I thought on Sat..feel better?..When did you decide to go?..I think at this point its all Good!..
David
December 4, 2009
2,444 posts
Opps/Duhhh...Sorry Dude..How bout more snow falling than I thought on Sat..feel better?..When did you decide to go?..I think at this point its all Good!..

Funny you ask...don't think I am going to make it. As of 6ish Snowshoe was claiming to only have just 7 slopes open (4 at the basin and 3 at SC), with nothing but green. From the sounds of things there will tons of folk there. At this point I can't justify driving up there by myself and skiing a couple greens all day. The odds of getting taken out from behind are probably pretty high too.

Oh well, if Sunday looks GREAT and they have a few more things open I may make the trip. We'll see what happens.

Besides, I have 4 tests the week after this coming one. Probably shouldn't leave the library til then anyway...
fishnski
December 5, 2009
3,530 posts
http://timberlineresort.com/webcam/
They got it up & running..well its Snowing,thats Why!..Sooner or later all the Mid Atl ski areas will benifit from this Storm. Wintergreen looks as if its in the rain/mix on Radar but its 28 degrees up there & I'm sure its Snowing..Its On!..The Cold/Snow looks to hang around for at least 2 to 3 weeks..& beyond?
CV has their cam up but I don't see any Guns on..Give us a front line report please Tucker..I see ya posting!
Tucker
December 5, 2009
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Currently in high 20's on valley floor(at my house)...snowing steady small flakes w/ about an inch on the ground already & no wind...its feeling like its going to be a multiple inch event...canaan fired up there guns about a week ago in the tubing park and beginner triangle and hasn't blown since(don't know about last night or this morning)...T-line was blowing snow on lightning and base area all day yesterday(don't know about last night or this morning)...Its a safe bet they'll be some sliding to be had over at Whitegrass today...should be a great Jack Frost party w/ a couple of inches of fresh on the ground!!!
jimmy
December 5, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Finally it's on. David justify......oops local update, this just in, Mrs Jimmy just announced it's snowing lightly here....wonder if Oglebay fired up the guns??...justify to who??? Justifications are for use on non-skiers, ski season doesn't start until you go skiing so go, if not today, tomorrow, you live an hour from the shoe?????? go go go go

Jackfrost is so cool when there's snow on the ground, have fun.
Murphy
December 5, 2009
618 posts
Wintergreen looks as if its in the rain/mix on Radar but its 28 degrees up there & I'm sure its Snowing..Its On!..

The ground's been white here in Blacksburg since 7am (maybe earlier but I was sleepin). I'm sure Wintergreen has been all snow. I bet they get the most in the region. Too bad they're not open.
fishnski
December 5, 2009
3,530 posts
Originally Posted By: Tucker
Currently in high 20's on valley floor(at my house)...snowing steady small flakes w/ about an inch on the ground already & no wind...its feeling like its going to be a multiple inch event..

Thats what I meant when I told David that This Snow would be the Pretty kind...Low wind. Usually Up in the Alpps its blowing sideways!...It looks like 2 to 3 laying on the TL railings...

Just cked Canaan hgts...4.1 for the storm so far & Snowing Moderately.
David
December 5, 2009
2,444 posts
So I woke up to a few inches this morning. It is really wet/heavy snow though. Here are a few shots.

As for tomorrow....maybe.
fishnski
December 5, 2009
3,530 posts
White gold!..Head up higher in the Alpps David & its been in the low 20's which=Powder!..Half a foot & counting..
David
December 5, 2009
2,444 posts
Just confirmed. The guy studying next to me right now will be making the trek bright and early tomorrow morning with me. We'll be hitting it hard straight through till noon. Look for me. I'll be the one who looks like he's on his skis for the first time this year... smile smile smile

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?