Resort Season Closing Dates?
39 posts
19 users
10k+ views
JamieGrose79
March 1, 2009
Member since 01/10/2009 🔗
108 posts
Not that I am looking forward to it, but I have heard that Liberty plans on shutting down March 22nd. I also read on here Hidden Valley is closing the same day as well. Is this true? Usually it is a guess at the end of season, but let us know if someone has some real fact based info. I just heard the Liberty date from one of my lifty buds.
gizmosnow
March 1, 2009
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
The 3/22 date for HV, weather permitting, I believe is reliable although I've heard several (unreliable) explanations for why they plan on closing this 'early' even if the conditions permit an extended season --- everything from 'they want to get the mountain biking runs ready for summer' to 'they are ready to proceed with some construction projects asap but can't until slopes closed'. In any case, we will have had a nearly 4-month season with great conditions practically start to finish so, while sad it's over, can't complain about this season.
Ullr
March 2, 2009
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
22nd? That seems about right to me. It will at least go to the 15th.
therusty
March 2, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Whitetail is also planning to stay open through the 22nd. As usual a freak stretch of 80 degree temps or mid March blizzard could change those plans.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 2, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Maybe the 22nd is when they close for full time operations. That is they will not be open week days and will only be open weekends?
I'm moving to Utah where you can ski until May and then start it all over again in October. Wishful thinkin'! cry
fishnski
March 2, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Survival of the base-iest & highest areas is the thought that comes to mind after looking at the latest GFS long range where it looks grim till the 13th of march...Count on a few of the western front areas to weather the warm spell & carry on thru march...Mud & slop in the lowlands...
gizmosnow
March 2, 2009
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Originally Posted By: snowsmith
Maybe the 22nd is when they close for full time operations. That is they will not be open week days and will only be open weekends? :

I'm not certain but believe HV may be closing mid-week after this coming weekend. Will reopen for 3/14-15 & 3/21-22, weather permitting.

Seems early, especially compared to last season, but then again, they gave us nearly 4 solid months of skiing with some of the best grooming/conditions in the area. Last season we were hardly skiing until mid-January due to weather. And, I don't think they need to try and compete head-to-head with 7S to be last to remain open as they did last season --- they've shown they can compete all season long on customer service, snow quality, pricing and even food services.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saddened, if not disappointed that they made the decision to close before April but I definitely got way more than my moneys worth out of my season pass.
therusty
March 3, 2009
422 posts
Originally Posted By: snowsmith
Maybe the 22nd is when they close for full time operations. That is they will not be open week days and will only be open weekends?
I'm moving to Utah where you can ski until May and then start it all over again in October. Wishful thinkin'! cry

The Snowtime resorts (Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail) usually close for the season when they close for the season. However, they have been experimenting with a post-season freestyle jam on one of the tubing hills. This has been a 1 day event held 2-3 weeks after the normal closing date that requires a special ticket (not subject to season pass or advantage card discounts).

Have fun in Utah. You can ski year round there if you're willing to hike for turns.
Jim
March 3, 2009
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
I think its too early to speculate on closing dates for the Snowtime Resorts. There is no "official" close date or even a target date. The event that typically closes these resorts is LACK OF SKIERS/BOARDERS - not snow coverage or a particular date. So keep visiting and the resorts will stay open!
SCWVA
March 3, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Whitetail has a closing date of March 28, 2009 listed on their event calendar. Not sure they've actually stayed open until the end of March before.

Anyone know if Whitetail or the other Snowtime resorts are having a customer appreciation day? In the past, it was on a weekday and a lift ticket was either $10 or a buck.
casey
March 3, 2009
Member since 11/21/2005 🔗
37 posts
Agree with you that conditions at HV this year were excellent and have thoroughly enjoyed the entire season. Can't wait till next season. With that said, has anyone heard when they will offer ski passes for next year?
GGNagy
March 4, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Yesterday, I called HV to check on their schedule for the 9th. They said that they would be open for day skiing, and that the ticket would be 15$. I am guessing that the report of no midweek skiing after this weekend, might not be totally correct, but call beforehand to check.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 4, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Unfortuantely the ultra warm temps for this coming weekend here in the mid-Atlantic will signal the beginning of the end for this ski season....not because all the snow will melt...indeed, the last couple of weeks of March are supposed to be colder than normal. Rather, it will awaken "Spring fever" in the population and cause thoughts of greens and flowers, etc. rather that the realization that there is still great skiing to be had locally.
The Colonel smile
March 5, 2009
1,576 posts
Quote:
Rather, it will awaken "Spring fever" in the population and cause thoughts of greens and flowers, etc. rather that the realization that there is still great skiing to be had locally

....with exception for the people of DCSKI! frown
therusty
March 5, 2009
422 posts
Jim.

I work at Whitetail. We've been told that we plan to stay open at least through the 22nd. That's not speculation.

We could stay open longer (or shorter). Usually, there is top to bottom skiable (albeit ugly looking) snow on the mountain for at least 2-3 weeks after closing. You are right when you state that it's the number of guests that is the critical factor. However, the primary factors we use to estimate number of guests are group sales and the weather forecast.

It's my recollection that Whitetail has stayed open through the end of March at least once (blizzard of 92).
jeffo4
March 5, 2009
Member since 08/24/2007 🔗
134 posts
I noticed 7 springs must be paying attention they say they will make snow when possible throughout march including last night.
March 5, 2009
1,576 posts
It seems that HV has given up making any more snow this year. I was at Ski Liberty the other night and they have been making snow every night that it was cold.
I wonder why HV has decided to turn the guns off for the season?
jeffo4
March 5, 2009
134 posts
It must have been like i posted earlier that the diminished return of staying open. Which was unpopular but accurate. I think with the early free days the exposed people to HV and unfortunately for us pass holders it doesn't make financial sense to stay open for free skiers. I am sure with the pass scanners they know who is skiing and when. You could see all the portable guns parked on presidents weekend. They really have seemed to know what they were doing all the upgrades have been positive. They fixed the restaurants. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it really is for some new construction to take place. With a better lodge there would be more midweek skiers and worth staying open. I think they have proved that they are again a viable resort that can make all the snow they need. If you look at what could need done as far as new waterlines for snowmaking and a lift for the new slopes. Lets keep our fingers crossed. My only regret is that there was only about an 11 day time span when every slope was open.
BushwackerinPA
March 5, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Originally Posted By: jeffo4
It must have been like i posted earlier that the diminished return of staying open. Which was unpopular but accurate. I think with the early free days the exposed people to HV and unfortunately for us pass holders it doesn't make financial sense to stay open for free skiers. I am sure with the pass scanners they know who is skiing and when. You could see all the portable guns parked on presidents weekend. They really have seemed to know what they were doing all the upgrades have been positive. They fixed the restaurants. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it really is for some new construction to take place. With a better lodge there would be more midweek skiers and worth staying open. I think they have proved that they are again a viable resort that can make all the snow they need. If you look at what could need done as far as new waterlines for snowmaking and a lift for the new slopes. Lets keep our fingers crossed. My only regret is that there was only about an 11 day time span when every slope was open.

financially it does make sense to stay open for pass holders

you guys can buy your pass else where if you wanted to and if I was someone in the market for the pass length of season divided by number of days open would be my biggest concern IMO.

If HV could stay open longer than springs they would sell more passes. Probably enough to make it worth their effort.
jeffo4
March 6, 2009
134 posts
I think new terrain will be more necessary to getting more pass holders. If HV and 7S are the same price spare the learning family i think most people will take 7S. Local can ski during the week and miss the crowds. The part time homeowners will buy where ever there condo is. I think HV has secured there base..During the Kettler years HV owners were buying 7S passes instead not some will buy both. I think if you run the numbers a good full open weekend is more financially rewarding than an additional 250 passes
gizmosnow
March 6, 2009
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
I was wrong about HV closing mid-week. I shouldn't have trusted my wife who supposedly chatted with a liftie or someone about that. (I did, however, 'label' her as an unreliable source.)

HV website now shows operations thru 3/15 (no night skiing).

Sorry folks!!!
SCWVA
March 10, 2009
1,052 posts
I got an email from WISP, they plan on being open on the weekends of April 4/5 and April 11/12.
March 10, 2009
1,576 posts
Given the conditions this past weekend, I don't think they can stay open too much longer. Since they didn't make any snow since early February, the surface was terrible. It was like a hard packed slurpee.
Why buy 80 of those high tech snow guns and then stop using them in early February. I was there during the entire Presidents week and I only saw one snow gun (on Thunderbird) turned on the entire week. Ski Liberty made snow every night they could last week.
Maybe they have a good reason for doing this. Other wise it was a great season.
SCWVA
March 10, 2009
1,052 posts
I skied WT yesterday with the family and a mtn. host said that WT would be open through this coming Sunday. WT has lots of snow and with five well placed guns they could easily be open another weekend or two.

How much does it cost to run a gun for 8hrs?
therusty
March 11, 2009
422 posts
We just got the official news today. Sunday 3/15 at 5PM is it for Whitetail.

We usually close with more snow than we open with. Management was prepared to blow snow this week, but Mom (nature) put her foot down. High 60s and low 70s took out too much base depth.

A long time ago I heard that it cost $10K just to turn the guns on (the water and air has to go through several compression and cooling cycles before one can blow). Although electric rates have gone up a ton since then, the new fan guns can be used without turning on the air compressors and charging the air lines. Still, snowmaking is very expensive.

We weren't likely to sell any more tickets this weekend than what it would have cost to try to make snow over the next 3 nights. Given the forecast for rain and more warm temps next week, there's no way we could have made it through the 22nd.
BushwackerinPA
March 11, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
HV will close on the 22nd.
KeithT
March 11, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Just to cross ref. another thread here--Liberty will close on 3/15 as well, and Roundtop will close the 15th and may be open for the weekend of the 21/22.
JamieGrose79
March 11, 2009
Member since 01/10/2009 🔗
108 posts
I am going to Vermont. This is really crappy. I am freakin depressed again already. Seems like we were skiing opening day a few weeks ago.I got about 50 trips in this year and I still swear I could stand to move to Antarctica cause I can never get enough. Last weeks record highs really nailed us in our butts!
BushwackerinPA
March 12, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
BTW the last weekend at Hidden Valley is free.
scootertig
March 13, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
which weekend is that? This weekend? Or next? I'm booked this weekend, but I'm hoping to land 2 more days this season...

aaron
BushwackerinPA
March 13, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
the 21st and 22nd

aaron meet up for some runs/beers?
gizmosnow
March 13, 2009
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Originally Posted By: BushwackerinPA
BTW the last weekend at Hidden Valley is free.

Or, at least nearly free. I heard lift tickets will be free with a food donation for a local food bank.
scootertig
March 15, 2009
365 posts
Originally Posted By: BushwackerinPA
the 21st and 22nd

aaron meet up for some runs/beers?

I think that may work! Obviously, the weather over the next few days will shape some of that, but as of now, I've got Saturday cleared for a trip to Hidden Valley... I really hope to get 2 more days in (HV+1) to get me to 25 days on the season. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I still have free tix at Stratton, Wintergreen, and Blue Knob to burn off. I think Stratton may be the only practical one, and that's still a long shot.

aaron
scootertig
March 20, 2009
365 posts
BWPA - still thinking about HV on Saturday? I'm trying to decide between the drive to Hidden Valley and the drive to Roundtop (I've got the NCC, so it's a freebie).

How're things looking at either place? Anyone planning to ski anywhere other than WV this weekend?

aaron
March 20, 2009
1,576 posts
Does anyone know which slopes will be open at Hidden Valley this weekend? I will be there.
Taylormatt
March 20, 2009
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
I believe the North Summit is closed now. Too bad, Comet and Wrangler still have tons of snow. The Valley side is holding up with exception to Firebird, Stingray and whatever that's called under the new quad. Those 3 are grass.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 22, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Time to upodate this thread. Many ski areas in the mid-Atlantic were closed as of (or before) last weekend, March 14-15, including Liberty, Blue Knob, Whitetail, Tanglwood, Bryce, and The Homestead. A bunch of others are closing today, March 21:

Pennsylvania:
Roundtop
Elk
Blue Mountain
Hidden Valley

West Virginia:
Snowshoe
Canaan Valley
Winterplace
(but T-line hangs in there!)

Virginia:
Wintergreen
Massanutten
(there goes the Old Dominion State)

Maryland:
Wisp is planning to hang on into Easter if they can!

Who else will be closed as of March 23? Where else besides T-line and Wisp can we find skiing next weekend and into April?

Still thinking snow,
Woody
Norsk
March 22, 2009
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Suspect the only other options in the mid-Atlantic are the Poconos (I think Big Boulder and Shawnee are still open). Just for fun I checked the NC resorts, and they're putting their northern brethren to shame. Appalachian Ski Mtn plans to be open through next weekend, and Sugar Mtn will be open through Tuesday. Apparently Appy even made snow this past weekend. Now that's dedication!
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Seven Springs is closed for the season. Pond skimming contest and The Spot terrain park open next weekend, no skiing.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?