Liberty or Whitetail 2/21
9 posts
7 users
2k+ views
rbrtlav
February 17, 2009
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
I am looking at going to either Liberty or Whitetail this weekend, any recommendations crowd or conditions wise? Also, I know both places have had problems with some of their lifts recently, have those been resolved? I know the conditions aren't going to be optimal, and if we get rain and then a deep freeze I think I will forgo the trip, as I find ice everywhere makes for a rough day.

Also do you know anywhere where I can get discount Tickets to either resort.

Thanks
Otto
February 17, 2009
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
Conditions are likely to be equivalent at both, will depend entirely on what the weather is the rest of the week and will likely change a fair amount if you ski the entire 8 hours on an 8 hour ticket. Liberty was not too busy last Saturday and very busy on Sunday and President's day. However, the backside of Liberty did not get crowded any of those days.
JamieGrose79
February 19, 2009
Member since 01/10/2009 🔗
108 posts
I would have to say that Liberty on a weekend is full of first time skiers. Whereas Whitetail is jammed but full of pretty decent skiers, at least on the backside. I do prefer Whitetail for it's vertical over Liberty and for it's high speed quad. All lifts have been fixed at both resorts. Whitetail was a wind issue. Liberty had a similar experience with a bad lift but I know it has been fixed.
I like Liberty because it seems like with the shorter vertical you can get a longer day as long as the temperature is good. Whitetail seems to be shot by noon on a Saturday or Sunday because when it warms up the skiers and boarders push all the crud and you go from skiing from packed powder to ice to crud slush in a few seconds on each run and it can make it more difficult to ski. I think that it is because it is steeper than Liberty and it gets pushed out more. Some days I like to work hard to ski and it makes me better, but other days I wanna chill out and make some quick turns all day due to being lazy sometimes.
It's basically a crap shoot either way on a warmer day. On a cold day I prefer Whitetail. Except for it's winds. If it's blowing I escape to the backside of Liberty where it is a bit more protected. Sometimes at Whitetail you come to a screeming hault on the frontside as you approach the base of the mountain.
Hope this helped you out some.
rbrtlav
February 19, 2009
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
I think we are going to hold off, paying full price for a lift ticket this weekend is hard to justify at liberty or whitetail, as the forecast is not great this weekend(possible rain) and this week has not helped out. Unfortunately I am busy friday and sunday so I can't get out to Wisp or 7S this weekend, as the conditions there look like they will be decent. I think I will just go next wednesday and take advantage of roundtop's college discount.
langleyskier
February 20, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I would go, conditions are going to be fantastic... really doubt any rain, maybe a snow shower. Just get a 4 or 8 hr flex
rbrtlav
February 20, 2009
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
Thanks langleyskier, looking at the websites now it does look like it will be decent. I think I would reconsider going, except 2 of the 3 of us that were going to go are just getting over that cold/flu like thing, and getting up at 5:30am to leave, and being out in the snow all day is not going to work this weekend, it looks like the conditions will be decent for the remainder of the week, so wednesday college night is looking good right now.
KeithT
February 20, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Originally Posted By: rbrtlav
I think we are going to hold off, paying full price for a lift ticket this weekend is hard to justify at liberty or whitetail, as the forecast is not great this weekend(possible rain) and this week has not helped out.

rbrtlav, check out the ski dome guy's website at www.skidome.org and look for his snowmaking probability chart. This is a good device for looking at what the conditions will be like for Liberty, Roundtop and Whitetail. Also on this page, you can look at the long term weather forecast for Mercersburg and see what the snowmaking forecast looks like. My point is that I was seeing good snowmaking temps all week so I was confused by your conclusion earlier this week. Of course it could still rain on ski day, but at least the resorts would have had time to get things up to speed.
itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2009
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts
I was whitetail last night and the conditions were great. We had the place to ourselves as well! Very few people were there.
JakDC
February 21, 2009
Member since 02/21/2009 🔗
1 posts
I was at Whitetail today . The place was packed with long lines around 2pm but by 5pm there were no lines!

Overall the packed powder was fine at the top of the mtn
but a bit slushy at the bottom.

I would go there again.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.