Liberty or Whitetail this weekend?
8 posts
4 users
1k+ views
kireland
January 26, 2007
Member since 02/7/2006 🔗
13 posts
Hi there! We are 'experienced-beginner' boarders wanting to head out to Liberty or Whitetail this weekend. We are leaning toward Saturday, but just saw a post that said Sundays are generally less busy, so we might consider Sunday instead. We may only be able to go for a four hour flex (though we might be able to swing 8 hrs) - so here is my question...is there an optimum four hours to go for? First thing? Mid-day? End of day? Our concern is getting in as many runs without spending half of our time in lines. Any tips/thoughts would be great!

Thanks! K
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 26, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Stay in bed or go to church, then start your flex ticket around 2pm Sunday for least crowds during daylight on a weekend, this is assuming there is no natural snow to modify normal attendance patterns.
Or go anytime to Bryce which is nice for beginners and low intermediates, rarely crowded, and only about 15mins further away from many parts of the DC area.
JohnL
January 26, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Safe to say, it will be very crowded at all ski areas this weekend. Most people have not skied much this year, the areas are near 100% open, we've finally had a stretch of cold weather to remind everyone this is wintertime, we've had dustings of snow to further remind people it's wintertime, the roads are clear, and the weather will be nice this weekend.

From experience, Sundays are generally less crowded than Saturdays at Whitetail. Saturday is predicted to be warm (which tends to attract people when the slopes have a good base), but there is prediction of snow showers Sunday AM (which tends to attract people.) For best snow conditions, be on the slopes when they open in the AM. Expect only 1-2 hours of relatively uncrowded conditions. Or do as JimK says and ski the late afternoon. I think the crowds will be in full force until at least 4PM. This one disadvantage about skiing later is that the slopes will be pretty scraped off due to the day's crowds.

Better yet, choose a less crowded area as JimK suggested.
twin58
January 26, 2007
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
I see from the webcams that there are a fair amount of people at both. Liberty is more crowded than WT.

I like going at night. That way, if I'm a total idiot, no one can see who I am. That's just me. The disadvantage is that the snow is scraped off and, if we've had our typical east coast freeze-thaw day, rutted.

Voilà, or mira:

http://www.skiliberty.com/webcams.htm

http://www.skiwhitetail.com/camera.htm
JohnL
January 26, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

I see from the webcams that there are a fair amount of people at both. Liberty is more crowded than WT.

Since Fairfax County schools are off today (1/26), I'm surprised both areas are not more crowded. My boss's boss also remarked on how uncrowded Whitetail was earlier today; glad to know that I'm not the only one at my work site who *occasionally* checks out webcams during the day.
kireland
January 26, 2007
Member since 02/7/2006 🔗
13 posts
Thanks for the feedback! Has to be Whitetail or Liberty or Roundtop as we have passes for those resorts. Wasn't thinking of Roundtop...unless someone has a vote for going there??

Thanks!
JohnL
January 28, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
From the webcam today (Sunday), Sunday is a lot less crowded at Whitetail than Saturday was (biggest crowd difference is the lines for the Expert's Choice lift.) Snow conditions on Saturday were great, but it was the most crowded I've seen Whitetail in several years. Good for them; hope Snowtime is recouping some of the lost revenue due to the poor conditions over the holidays.

Whitetail is currently having sunny skies while it is overcast/misting here in NOVA. Should be out there myself right now, but I'm feeling a bit like the local weather.
kireland
January 29, 2007
Member since 02/7/2006 🔗
13 posts
Ended up going to Whitetail on Sunday and it was great! We were on the slopes by 10:00 and the only long line we encountered was for rentals (kinda sealed the deal on us getting our own equipment!). Lift lines were 5 minutes max and after lunch the lines were pretty well gone. The weather was pretty nice - sunny and not too cold. Thanks for the advice to go on Sunday - apparently Saturday was PACKED!! My only complaint is that you can't get a beer anywhere at Whitetail! A real disappointment at the end of the day (though we did go to a little pub in nearby Clear Spring on the way home - $5 pitchers of Yeungling!!)

_

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.