Anyone Else get the Feeling the season is over?
35 posts
18 users
8k+ views
jeffo4
February 9, 2009
Member since 08/24/2007 🔗
134 posts
It sure looks like the season that started out with Thanksgiving skiing all around might not make it until march 1st. The 15 day doesn't look good for making snow and I skied HV on Saturday and Sunday and the 1 day difference in snow was incredible. Let's hope there is a good cold snap left
BushwackerinPA
February 9, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
there is 6 feet of snow on some of the runs at hidden valley. that is not going anywhere fast.

The conditions last weekend were amazing. sunday was the best day of the year so far its just a shame that the quad broke. slush groomers and slush bumps there really is nothing better in the mid Atlantic

If you cant ski slush its not that you cant ski slush its that you cant ski and the slush proves it.

I honestly think this is dumbest topic to post and is just bad karma as well. Have you not seen how buried the snow guns are? If you could i would just take this down and pretend it never even crossed your mind.
jeffo4
February 9, 2009
134 posts
This just in 60 degrees and rain is good for snow!

Please remove the post.

The snow guns look buried but there was dirt on wrangler and 6 slopes that were open saturday were closed sunday must be my imagination that melting occurred but best day of the year? It wasn't even as good as saturday.

How were the woods trails on sunday? Muddy with a chance of roots!

Karma? no Realistic Yes

But just tell the snow it is a cold rain and it will stay
jeffo4
February 9, 2009
134 posts
Oh and the slush comment? My 5 and 3 year old skied all day so don't applaud your skills
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
BushwackerinPA
February 9, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Originally Posted By: jeffo4
This just in 60 degrees and rain is good for snow!

Please remove the post.

The snow guns look buried but there was dirt on wrangler and 6 slopes that were open saturday were closed sunday must be my imagination that melting occurred but best day of the year? It wasn't even as good as saturday.

How were the woods trails on sunday? Muddy with a chance of roots!

Karma? no Realistic Yes

But just tell the snow it is a cold rain and it will stay

first there are no 'woods' trail at hidden valley. At least not officially. The only woods skiing we have was either cleared out by me and my friends or the new mountain biking trails.

quite honestly hidden valley will be open to april 1st. if not later.

like by friday they will have the snow guns back on, saturday will be a decent little dumping.

but to sit here and complain about snow conditions in the mid Atlantic is pretty lame. I mean its southern Pa. what did you expect?

and quite honestly 60 degree and rain will make for some really fun snow.
jeffo4
February 9, 2009
134 posts
Well a debt of gratitude to you and your chainsaw you must be named ketler
jeffo4
February 9, 2009
134 posts
MEANT IN HUMOR NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK
David
February 9, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Jeff, I definitely think that you are jumping the gun saying that ski season is over. I know how you feel though. The past few days I have been sitting around half depressed because we are already through 2 1/2 months of ski season, with only 1 1/2 left. I have skied more this year that ever before which has made the year fly by soo much faster than any other. BUT, you have to remember that March is traditionally the snowiest month of the year, and it is always a blast to be skiing in it. So what I am trying to say is to keep POSITIVE. Things will get better. We shall be skiing POWDER in the Mid-Atlantic this season!!!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 9, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
The last two weeks of Feb. are supposed to be normally cool with increased chances of white precip.
Hang in there...the second season is coming!
The Colonel smile
Jim
February 9, 2009
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Guys - chill out! Plenty of ski season left. Heck, we haven't even gotten to PRESIDENT's DAY weekend for cryin' out loud! grin Seriously, the local areas had a GREAT stretch of cold and most have taken advantage of it. At the top of Liberty, you have to climb UP to the top of the runs. The snow up there is a "bank" from which deposits can be made to patch up thin spots. Heck, if we stay warm from here to March, there's still enough stockpile to last.

Here's my prediction - the number of folks going to local areas by mid-March will drop off LONG before the snow gives out. In other words, it won't be the snow that doesn't hold out - it will be the skiers!

Ski on . . . !
jeffo4
February 9, 2009
134 posts
Now this was more of what i thought i would get with the post some discussion of weather pattern not someone questioning the ability of a skier on loose terrain.

There always seems to be a pinnacle weekend and then it goes downhill

Doesn't every winter reach a point of diminished return when resorts just quit making new snow. Not saying this will be the case with HV because of the desire to reestablish a reputation.

If my memory serves me right didn't HV close before march in 06?

I know the summit wasn't open for presidents day

I know then to now is apples to oranges
FreshPow
February 9, 2009
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts
To your original question...uh, no. We ski in the Mid-Atlantic. Welcome to a normal season - I take that back, a better than normal season.

And to your wish to keep this admittedly ridiculous post to discussion of weather patterns, etc., where exactly did you get a 10-15 day forecast? Both weather.com and accuweather.com show great snowmaking weather after this Thursday for the balance of the period (Hidden Valley, PA).

As for snowmaking, most will stop at some point, but generally go whenever able thru the month of February, very early March. Regardless of weather, crowds disappear mid-March, so no need to continue further.

If anything, a weekend like this makes a lot of casual observers think the season is done with. Works for me - leaves some nice uncrowded slopes for those of us who know better!

SCWVA
February 9, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
The seasons over! But I have a lift ticket on my jacket for tomorrow. There seemed to be a lot of snow on the trails today. Is it all gonna melt over night? Damn this Globe Warming thingy.
jeffo4
February 9, 2009
134 posts
Well tell me if there is more snow than yesterday or sunday or saturday
David
February 9, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: SCWVA
Is it all gonna melt over night? Damn this Globe Warming thingy.

Actually, it is ALL going to melt over night. Gore is stopping through the Mid Atlantic this evening and showing us all the true wrath of Global Storming....

jeffo4
February 9, 2009
134 posts
great photoshop work
fishnski
February 9, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Your post is quite offensive to me & a few others David & we ask that you keep any future posts.....of Owl Bore with a dunce hat on!!!!

This winter ain't over till the Fat lady in the tight ski pants sings & she ain't even in the house let alone warming up!
gtop
February 9, 2009
Member since 11/5/2008 🔗
34 posts
WOW! The season is over already? Hmmm, i better gas up my lawn mower
Leo
February 10, 2009
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Originally Posted By: BushwackerinPA
The conditions last weekend were amazing. sunday was the best day of the year so far its just a shame that the quad broke.

Yes, yes. And it was so busy Saturday that it really couldn't have happened at a worse time. As a season pass holder, I wasn't too flipped out, but if I had bought a ticket, I would have been pissed. It basically eliminates some of your better runs (Imperial, Cobra) plus the whole North Summit. Fortunately, a few of the bump lines on Thunderbird were great and they had Thunder lift running.

I talked to an employee Sunday who told me that the part they needed to fix the quad had to be shipped from Italy. Anyone have any idea what their estimated time frame is to have that lift up and running again??
SteveC
February 10, 2009
Member since 10/24/2005 🔗
145 posts
Jeeze. Why all the hate towards Jeff?

Same discussion going on elsewhere (without the hate):
http://forums.alpinezone.com/48859-presidents-vacation-week.html#post388645

Having seen all the brown at whitetail, the same thoughts went through my mind.

We were planning on hitting Magic over the weekend but they only have half their mountain open now. Any thoughts on what conditions will be at Timberline?
kwillg6
February 10, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Originally Posted By: Leo

I talked to an employee Sunday who told me that the part they needed to fix the quad had to be shipped from Italy. Anyone have any idea what their estimated time frame is to have that lift up and running again??

It's an eye-tal-yun conspiracy. That'l teach em not to buy one of them ferun up hill do- diddys.
David
February 10, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: SteveC
Any thoughts on what conditions will be at Timberline?

Epic
SteveC
February 10, 2009
Member since 10/24/2005 🔗
145 posts
Oh Yea! That's what I like to hear!
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
NO
jimmy
February 10, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I had a feeling, no not a exactly but more of a groping, maybe just peaceful queasy but then i fealt teh hand of overstimulus in my pocket, got dizzy and fell over my other too little feats, but some of you already new, the rest of you never due. the rain drops keep fallin on my head thar's safety in numbers i'm off to kill some cones.

Roger Z
February 10, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Good catch on the "punctulations" there Jimmy. Without all those commas, probably no one would have been able to understand that post! wink

Where is the Blutarsky when you need him? Ah, here he is (warning, profanity):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
David, we're going to turn you in to Sugar Loaf's management and you'll never be able to get a season pass there for the next three generations....

Funny as hell though....
skier219
February 10, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Jeff, this is the mid-atlantic. If we didn't have at least one major thaw in Jan-Feb, I'd be surprised. It's a blip in the overall scheme of the season. I am actually sorry I couldn't get out this week to enjoy a little "spring" skiing.

Compared to other seasons, I'd say the weather is looking good as we head into the 3rd "half" of this season. Let's hope for a strong finish. I still owe myself another local powder day or two.
SCWVA
February 10, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
All,

Don't worry, the snow on the slopes didn't melt overnight, I checked.

Still lots of pow days to be had this winter, the best is yet to come.
Roger Z
February 10, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Something to keep the spirits up, courtesy of The Murphster...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPfNqHyS4Pw
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 11, 2009
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
slopecams down here don't look too bad...

tline: http://www.timberlineresort.com/webcam/

app : http://www.appskimtn.com/slopecam/slopecam.htm

beech: http://www.skibeech.com/cam.html

sugar: http://www.skisugar.com/sugarlive/

wish more places had these.

however, this crappy summer weather is sapping my energy and i need a good shot of brrr cold to get me going again. its hard to even drink winter lager right now (though i'll manage). i don't even have another ski date scheduled until march 7. i'm not even looking at weather forecasts. i need some chill.
jeffo4
February 13, 2009
134 posts
maybe i was slightly premature neat pick on HV website shows almost 11 feet of base
BushwackerinPA
February 13, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Originally Posted By: jeffo4
maybe i was slightly premature neat pick on HV website shows almost 11 feet of base

eh 46 inches = 11 feet?

4 feet yes.

you skiiing this weekend? I think some other Dcskier are planning to meet up at HV.
Leo
February 13, 2009
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
At first I thought this was a typo...11 ft??...but indeed, it is HV's image of the day on their website. I saved it as a jpeg on my cpu, but the only way you can link photos is from a website, which I hate. Why can't I link an image from my hard drive?

I think maybe my man's ruler was going into the mud at the bottom of the base. I mean, HV's snowmakers are great, but I never would have guessed 11 ft at the top of Straight Shot (I'll never call it Comet).
jeffo4
February 13, 2009
134 posts
Yes I will be around all of saturday and part of sunday I am the guy carrying four sets of skis with a 3 and 5 year old in tow Any particular place people are meeting?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?