RichVA to Timberline
6 posts
3 users
MichaelME
January 26, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
32 posts
Anyone familiar with the fastest/easiest way to Tline from the Richmond, VA area?

I've traveled most of the roads at some point in the past, but not from gotta get there from here perspective.

Gonna make a day trip this week so getting quickly in the AM is the goal. Alternate routes,shortcuts, scenic returns welcome also.

For you locals up theyeh, forecast on best day, non W-E appreciated.

Thanks in advance
fishnski
January 26, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
64 west to 81 north to 33 west at Harrisonburg,va to Harman,wv & then 32 north up into the valley...3.45 to 4 hrs depending on "Stuff"...I get off an exit or two before the 33 exit (Exit 243?) & weave my way around Harrisnburg...If you want the hassle of all the extra directions I will give better detail otherwise its easier to just get on 33 & head thru...33 zigzags all over the place so pay attention to your signs!...9 miles over the speed limit should keep the law off you but I have never seen a speed trap once I'm on 33 going thru the mtn's...be safe!~
skier219
January 26, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Yep, that's the way I go. Route 33 through Harrisonburg is a freaking maze run. Figure on 4:15 from Richmond. Makes for a long day trip.
fishnski
January 27, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
shave some time off your route Skier219 & Mr.Me & anyone else interested by getting off 81 at exit 243 & take route 11 north...when you get to Sheets gas on left take a left on pleasant hill dr...that will dead end on a small side rd called pear st..take left & then an immediate rt going under a 1 ln bridge underpass..you will be on Erickson rd..continue on this rd to 33 (very scenic dr thru nice neighborhood with nice views of farmland & mtn's)..Take left on 33 & kick in the 4 barrel! (old school talk)
skier219
January 27, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Cool, I will remember that on the next trip.
MichaelME
January 28, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
32 posts
Thanks for the input folks. Yea I consulted the maps after you mentioned the shortcut around Hburg. I love exploring, kids not so much. I figure I can make it under 4hrs. acouple of day trips to SS were both at 3.5. Haven't committed on a day yet, trying to cipher the weather.

It's not so bad, leave here 5:30ish, ready to go when there open and laps until time for a tailgate lunch, usually 2:30ish. By then I'm ususlly ready to call it a day and home by 7.

so, if anyone gets free during the week and want to make a run to SS, WG, TL, or the Nutt, give me a shout.

Thanks again

Michael
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.