Strasburg Area to T-Line
5 posts
4 users
1k+ views
john84
March 11, 2007
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
27 posts
Likely going to be at my friend's house in Virginia (about 10 minutes north of Fort Valley on 678) next weekend (3/16-3/18), hoping to ski T-Line. What would be the fastest route to get to Timberline? I need to convince my friend's father that it would only take around 2-2.5 hours. Is that feasible, or will we have to head to Massanutten or Wintergreen? Thanks for any advice.
Clay
March 11, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I can't say I've ever been to Fort Valley, but based on where mapquest says it is, maybe this will be helpful.

It takes me (on average) 2 hours and 10 minutes from the 55/81 interchange to get to the lodge at T-Line going 55/33/32 using Corrider H where available. I have done this trip every weekend since December and don't typically drive more than 7 miles over the speed limit and AT the speed limit from Wardensville to Moorefield and I can predict what time I will pull up to the lodge within a minute or two unless 55 is shut down at Lebanon Church like it was Friday night; I'm afraid that one was fatal

Even if your friend's dad doesn't know where he's going, you've got 20 minutes to play with to make it in your 2.5 hour window.

Clay
john84
March 11, 2007
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
27 posts
Thanks for the info, I think it's what I need to convince him. He won't be the one doing the driving, but he doesn't want us (me, his son, and an additional friend) to drive too far. However, too far is subjective
crunchy
March 11, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
From Strasburg area Tline seems pretty much 2hrs max from what I recall on 55W. But its just a great scenic drive too imo. Some of it is 65mph on the corridor-H section thats complete, the rest is 55mph with lots of passing areas with a few slow downs through the small towns you go thru. Petersburg is a good place to grab a bite to eat or make a pitstop before you get to Tline.

without a doubt your best conditions are gonna be anything on the allegany front from Tline and north. (ie: Tline, Canaan, Wisp, 7S, Blueknob, etc) .. 150-160" average annual snowfall may be small by the standards of utah or colo, but its enormous for a mid-atl resort. Oh yeah, and Tline is having their "Snowy Luau" next weekend, so you gotta go!
kwillg6
March 12, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Oh, yeah, in case nobody mentions it, the conditions this past weekend were in a word, "WOW!" The blues were soft and very cruisable. The Drop was soft bumps on Saturday, and if you like bumps, t-draft was very excellent. I hope it remains skiable with the warm-up over the next few days.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.