Snowshoe Mtn Ski Lesson Recommendation
11 posts
8 users
3k+ views
luckeeesmom
January 14, 2009
Member since 01/14/2009 🔗
4 posts
I'm going up to Snowshoe this weekend and would like to take a lesson to improve my skiing technique. I'm probably somewhere between a level 4-5 skier based on the descriptions below:

Level Four
You are relying more on turn shape than wedge size to slow you down. Your wedge is getting smaller and by the end of the turn your skis are running parallel. This level represents a major milestone. Mastery of level four concepts prepare the student for the transition from green runs to blue ones!

Level Five
You are using similar wedge-match turning mechanics to the level four skier. The primary difference is that you are able to use the technique comfortably on blue runs.

I would like to learn to keep my skis more parallel when I turn and basically take my skiing to the next level. I have never taken a lesson but have learned from watching others and skiing on my own. Has anyone taken lessons at snowshoe? Are the group lessons good about catering to all abilities or do they divide people up?

I called them and the girl mentioned that I need to sign up for blue/black group. I can make it down blues but I feel like my technique gets very sloppy on steeper trails and I don't think I would be able to fine tune my technique if most of the lesson is on terrain that I am not as comfortable with. I don't want to do the basic beginner class because I am used to skiing on the greens and some of the blues so I don't want to waste my time on the bunny slope. Do you know if they have classes for the in-betweeners?

Also would you recommend a group lesson or would I get a lot more from a private lesson? I noticed private lessons are much more expensive than other skiing locations even many of the major resorts and want to make sure it is worth the money before I pay that much. Also are there any specific instructors you can recommend for either group or private?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Eug
January 14, 2009
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Based on my and my family experiences with Whitetail, it seems like most of the group lessons are taken by beginners.

I am guessing that if you sign up for a group lesson and you mention that you are a level 4-5 skier, you might be in a group lesson that will become a private lesson (at group lesson price). Or a group lesson with very few classmates.

Advance group lessons will also most likely become private lessons at the group rate.

Maybe the instructors in DCSki can confirm or deny this...
David
January 14, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
That's what I have seen usually happen at Tline. Seems there are 1,000's there for level 1 lessons and virtually no one for advanced lessons. That's a shame too because there are some AWESOME instructors at Tline. I'd highly reccomend taking an upper level private with several of them.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
luckeesmom,
What ever you do, be sure to either sign up before going to Snowshoe, or check when you first arrive. Because of the usual crowds on MLK weekend, many of the classes are already full, especially the kids classes.
The Colonel smile
luckeeesmom
January 14, 2009
4 posts
Thanks for the advice! I am hedging my bets between a group or private. I called yesterday and today and so far no one has signed up for the blue/black group so i would have a semi-private to private lesson if things stay as they are. I am going to keep checking as the weekend approaches and if the numbers stay low I'll take a group and otherwise I'll shell out the cash for a private.
SCWVA
January 14, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
For the kids, I highly recommend Silver Creek for lessons. On MLK weekend, Silver Creek will be a whole lot less crowded.
luckeeesmom
January 15, 2009
4 posts
No kids on this trip but thanks for the info because we'll be bringing my boyfriend's daughter up in March. The lessons are for me
kwillg6
January 16, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
My experiences as a ski instructor and season pass skier over the past 25 years lend creedence to what has been said.

My recommendation would be to sign up for a level 5/6, or even 7, group lesson. I would almost guarantee that you will end up in a private or semi private with one of the most qualified instructors on the mountain. Don't worry about over estimating your ski level as the instructor will ski with you and adjust his/her instruction to how you ski and what you need help with. The lower the level you sign up for, the more students will be in a class, so higher is better. One benefit to taking a lesson is that you will get considerably more skiing because ski school doesn't wait in lift lines. grin
Clay
January 16, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
because ski school doesn't wait in lift lines. grin

I knew there was a reason you put the uniform back on! smile
scootertig
January 16, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
Don't worry about over estimating your ski level as the instructor will ski with you and adjust his/her instruction to how you ski and what you need help with.

Yikes... I understand the idea works if you do end up in a small group or "private" group lesson, but isn't this dangerous advice? I mean, what if someone else legitimately needs at level 7 (for example) lesson, and the other student is just "rounding up". One person will suffer - either the one that's over their head, or the one who's in the right place.

I would be frustrated if I really needed to work on some sort of advanced technique, and we were constantly waiting for the rounder-upper to catch up...

aaron
luckeeesmom
January 16, 2009
4 posts
That's exactly what I'm worried about. I don't want to sabotage someone's advanced lesson but yet I don't want to start out with the basic lesson and learn to snowplow again. I called again this morning (i feel sorry for the reservationist :)) and so far there is only one person signed up for the green lessons at Silver Creek on Sunday. I thought that if it stays that small I might be more likely to get the lesson customized to my ability. I really wish that they broke their lessons up into groups based on ski ability numbers. It seems like there is a gap where an intermediate such as myself falls.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?