Where to stay in Somerset?
11 posts
8 users
2k+ views
Steve
January 5, 2009
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
I'm planning to drive to 7S on Sat, stay overnight, either ski 7S or HV on Sun and drive home. There are several motels in Somerset that quote rates around $60. HV is around $120 for a room. 7S is $300+ for Fri and Sat but includes lift tickets. Any recommendations or places to avoid?

I may try HV one more time to see if they'll let me in on one of their packages, but for one night I doubt it.

Steve
Crush
January 6, 2009
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
The comfort inn, just to the left of the toll booths, is pretty good but the beds are small and real squishy.

There is this real old motel I can't even remember it's name if you turn right at the first light and go up the street about 50 yards it's there on the left hand side sort of near the Grill place - that ain't bad it's just old.
jeffo4
January 6, 2009
Member since 08/24/2007 🔗
134 posts
the donegal exit (one more west #91) has a couple of motels just as close and usually empty
RobertW
January 6, 2009
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
I have spent several late season weekend nights at the Log Cabin Motel (Donegal, about 1/4 mile from Rte 31/711 intersection on the way to 7 Springs)

http://www.logcabinmotel.com/

Very Clean/modern/interesting decor. $90-$100 for 2 queen or 1 queen/bunk bed if they are available. About halfway between HV and 7S.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 6, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
The Wren Crest motel is about as cheap as you can get and they may even throw in a toothless prostitute if your lucky.
Leo
January 6, 2009
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Originally Posted By: snowsmith
The Wren Crest motel is about as cheap as you can get and they may even throw in a toothless prostitute if your lucky.

grin

Ha! That made my afternoon.

And as some follow up info to what has already been said above...the Log Cabin motel is nice, and it is a great location if you plan to ski both HV and 7S. But,it's not necessarily going to save you that much compared to some of the other numbers you threw around in your original post. I think the winter weekend rates are closer to $115/night.
Taylormatt
January 6, 2009
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts

Now that's funny, I don't care who yarrrrrrrr.
b2otto2
January 6, 2009
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
Originally Posted By: RobertW
I have spent several late season weekend nights at the Log Cabin Motel (Donegal, about 1/4 mile from Rte 31/711 intersection on the way to 7 Springs)

http://www.logcabinmotel.com/

Very Clean/modern/interesting decor. $90-$100 for 2 queen or 1 queen/bunk bed if they are available. About halfway between HV and 7S.

I stayed there once, the decor is nice, but it was very, very dry inside with lots of static electricity and the fire alarm went off at 2 am and stayed on for about 20 mins. Also there is the exotic animal park (http://www.ltanimalpark.com/index.asp) that are housed behind the hotel, so don't be alarmed if you hear a lion roar! lol.
Steve
January 6, 2009
160 posts

Do you have to pay extra for the ones with teeth?

Thanks for all the info guys. When I went on trip advisor there were several horror stories about some of the motels in Somerset.

Steve
Steve
January 6, 2009
160 posts
Bit the bullet and booked the ski package at HV. $145 including skiing from 4PM till 6PM next day, so just a little more than the motel + lift tickets.

No free prostitute though at my wife's insistence.

Steve
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
As you ride by the Oakhurst Team Room heading west on Route 31, you will see the lovely Wren Crest accommodations on your right. I think they are trying to compete with Nemacolon Resort minus the golf course, the spa, the restuarants, the activities, the art work,staff, setting and the luxury. It could also be used to accommodate migrant farm workers who like to ski.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?