Hi DCSki
15 posts
10 users
7k+ views
Fleetwood
December 10, 2008
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
Just wanted take a moment to introduce myself.

I recently joined and I've enjoyed reading the threads on ski locations, weather, equipment, etc. I also enjoyed reading the mountain biking threads. Lots of cool stuff there too.

I live in Richmond, VA, and started snowboarding about five years ago. I dragged two friends to Wintergreen. Two of us loved it, bought snowboards, and made a few trips to Wintergreen and Massanutten before he moved to Austin, TX. Translation: I lost my main partner in crime.

I started a little late in life, so with the family and full-time job it's been difficult to get out more than 3 or four times a season.

My five-year old did slope sliders at Massanutten a couple of times last year. He's a natural and loves being on the snow (future partner in crime?). I even got my wife out there a couple of times. I look forward to many future days on the snow as a family.

I am jonesin so bad right now, but haven't made it out yet. I may have to cut work one day soon. Maybe I'll see you around.
David
December 10, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Welcome to the forum. As you said, this place is awesome. You can never (almost) go wrong with the FIRSTHAND info that you get on here. I've especially enjoyed all this expert weather forecasting over the past few years. You can't beat it.

My advice to you: Take a sick day! (when the conditions are better) Get out there. Enjoy the snow. smile smile smile
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
This web site helps satify the snow joneses, all year long. Based on my experience, the more you can get the wife involved, the more you can get the family on the slopes. Of course the kids usually love it. It's a sport/activity that you can enjoy for a lifetime. And despite the expense, it's a great family activity. Some of my friends hate winter and become couch potatoes once it gets cold. Not me, I look forward to winter. I love winter!!! For the Mid-Atlantic skiers/boarders, we actually spend too much time researching weather since the it is so critical in this region. I'll actually sit and watcht the weather channel. smirk That's how much this sport gets into your blood. It becomes an obsession.
Welcome!
Ullr
December 10, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Hi Fleetwood. There are a couple of us in Richmond. I am on the Southside. There is another in the West End, and one from Williamsburg. A trip is definately in the plans, but not for me in Jan (1 week at Sugarloaf and 1 week at Loon).

I will post when we set a date, but there may not be much notice if we get a huge dump.

Oh, BTW you a Peter Glenn or Ski Center person?
Clay
December 10, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
And I'm in Stafford, which is only 10 miles further from Richmond than Williamsburg...
GDWindowpane
December 10, 2008
Member since 07/9/2008 🔗
43 posts
Welcome... Fredericksburg here...
Fleetwood
December 10, 2008
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
Originally Posted By: Ullr

I am in Midlothian, so more of a Ski Center guy.
Tucker
December 10, 2008
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
I went to high school at Midlotian High School in the early 90's. My family still lives there and I usually get from Canaan Valley ski areas to there in less than 4 hours.
GRK
December 10, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Hi Fleetwood

I'm the West End guy in Richmond...welcome. Be good to hook up. Usually at Wintergreen but open to most others if there is shared driving for a day trip.

Have been out a couple times on weekends so far this season, but I can sense a sick day coming up.

GRK
Ullr
December 10, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Originally Posted By: Fleetwood
Originally Posted By: Ullr

I am in Midlothian, so more of a Ski Center guy.

You are ok with me then!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good answer
kwillg6
December 11, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Fleetwood...u sure u want to get involved in what has gone from an obsession to total addiction for most of us by slidin, glidin, and n-joying winter??? We ain't got no 10 step program to get us clean. Only a super pow pow dump cures our blues. grin Welcome!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 11, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
UH, OH, kw1llg6 is writing in "beginning jimmy". If you want to get full value from DCSki you must master "jimmy", a language that our own jimmy lapses into when overly excited about a forecasted powder dump.
Fleetwood, a welcome from The Colonel. Hopefully we can make a few turns together sometime.
The Colonel smile
GDWindowpane
December 11, 2008
Member since 07/9/2008 🔗
43 posts
GRK we're rolling upto Wintergreen tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep an eye out for you... I'll be wearing the old yellow jacket and probably jeans again. New jacket and ski pants were included on my Christmas list to Santa. Have heard from a reputable source that I just barely made the nice list so after Christmas I should be styling... Hope they get/make some snow up there.
Fleetwood
December 12, 2008
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I've continued my exploration of DCSki and figure I'll stick around, see what I can learn, make a few posts here and there, and like The Colonel said, maybe make a few turns with some of you in the future.

The heavy rains are moving out of the Richmond area. If only it was about 20 degrees this week!
GRK
December 13, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Hi GDWindowpane

Unfortunately tnis week we will be on a Sunday schedule (boring non-skiing related stuff to take care of at home). Hoping they will have part of the highlands open by then. Enjoy and let us know how it was.

GRK

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.