New Member, from the Shenandoah Valley
11 posts
4 users
7k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 4, 2006
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
I grew up skiing in the 1960s in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts, mostly at Bousquet. Skiing and I parted company when I went to college, but in 2003 my then-10-year-old son brought me back to the slopes after 22 years away. He took lessons at Wintergreen, and I soon joined him on the snow.

I found DCSki when I was looking for information on ski areas within a day's striking distance of our home in the northern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. In addition to Wintergreen, we've skied at Bryce, Timberline, Massanutten and Whitetail, and I know there are plenty of others to visit.

My "ski geography" loyalties are divided because we've lived here for 13 years but I grew up in New England. While it's great to go back home and ski a day or two, I continue to be amazed at how fine the conditions have been here in the so-called "Banana Belt" over the past three ski seasons. Still can't believe how much grooming and snowmaking have changed things!

I collect ski area patches, which certainly don't show up on ski jackets as much as they did when I started skiing (ulp!) 40 years ago. Many of the places in Massachusetts and Vermont where I skied are now closed. I'm hoping to learn more about some of this area's "lost" ski areas by doing some exploring.

What else? The resort descriptions, forum discussions (esp. about the pros and cons of each ski area) and articles on DCSki have been a great way to learn about ski opportunities here. Thanks everyone, and I'll see you on the slopes.

Woody
March 8, 2006
778 posts
So, hi everybody!

Woody
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 8, 2006
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
ok, hi there! don't worry, the board isn't big on formalities.

there seem to be alot of us that took a decade or two off and then returned, still relearning myself.
March 21, 2006
778 posts
Quote:

ok, hi there! don't worry, the board isn't big on formalities.

there seem to be alot of us that took a decade or two off and then returned, still relearning myself.

Thanks, pagamony.

This year, I decided to look beyond Wintergreen and Whitetail for other skiing opportunities and have learned a great deal from the posts on this website. They took me to Timberline and Elk, among others, and I'm already planning 2006-07. Great stuff at DCSki.com!

Woody
jimmy
March 21, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

.....I continue to be amazed at how fine the conditions have been here in the so-called "Banana Belt" over the past three ski seasons. Still can't believe how much grooming and snowmaking have changed things!

Woody

Hey Woody, everyone knows there's no good skiing in WV , especially in the canaan valley area, you sure you don't have us mixed up with Western VA? I'd just hate to see a bunch of people come down there looking for a place to ski and be disappointed you know, I'm one of those who's always looking out for the other guy .

Welcome aboard!
kwillg6
March 21, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Welcome Woody! You'll find this group to be quite,... ah..., er..., interesting. Everyone has an opinion, usually wrong, and occasionally, we even meet somewhere to take a few runs and socialize. Right, Jimmy? Hey, how were your ribs on Saturday??? I think I wore mine back to the condo
jimmy
March 21, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hah, there you have it, i could never figure out what the lovely lady M saw in a ski bum like you until i saw the table with a view you scored for the lavalightallucaneatribsextravaganza Saturday in the grill. Funny thing about the all u can eat ribs, the first plate they bring me is usually all i can eat.

Woody, In order to obtain full benefit from DCSki message forum, it helps if you are able to jump from topic to topic and sometimes back again, all in the same post.
kwillg6
March 21, 2006
2,066 posts
Yeah, Woody. Hyjacking a post is one of the small pleasures we, with nothing better to do, enjoy. And Jimmy, thanks for the complement. Lady M was working up to her 5th glass of uh, "soda" by the time you saw us. Besides, we decided to keep the air cast for next season. It may work even without a broken leg.
March 22, 2006
778 posts
OK, guys, I got it. But kwillg6, I didn't know you could do that with a duck. And did you know that Wintergreen plans to be open through April 2 this year?

Thanks, Woody
kwillg6
March 23, 2006
2,066 posts
Bousquet.....do which with a duck?????? I've done lots of things with a duck and an occasional chicken. but a little help here.
March 24, 2006
778 posts
Aw, kwillg6, you just have to use your imagination. Just trying to jump from topic to topic and back again, like jimmy said.

Cheers,
Woody

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?