free skiing
14 posts
9 users
4k+ views
sburnet1
February 15, 2008
Member since 02/15/2008 🔗
4 posts
ok call me a cheapo southerner, but i was wondering if there is such a thing as a place you can go skiing for free in pennsylvania, as in rent some skis walk up a hill and ski down (or even ski up with xc) any help is appreciated =)
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 15, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Hey, you can ski for free at Snowshoe... It will just take you a heck of a walk up the mountain...
sburnet1
February 15, 2008
4 posts
i take it this isnt a common practice in the east... i'm kinda looking for ski mountaineering sort of thing. like some where in a national park, or state park. with some sort of a ski trail
jimmy
February 15, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 15, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
http://www.whitegrass.com There is a very reasonable trail fee.

Closer to home, your local golf course. As a courtesy to the golfers, stay off the greens.

Are you talking about XC or ski mountaineering? There is a very big difference. The latter is essentially not done in the mid Atlantic. It is done in northern New England and New York. David Goodman's books are an excellent primer, "Backcountry Skiing Adventures - - - " There are two of them, one for NH, ME, MA, and one for VT & NY. We do what I would call light backcountry skiing in WV but I wouldn't call it ski mountaineering. The terms cause much confusion in the general public. When I say backcountry skiing in this area, people assume flat ground XC - couldn't make a turn to save his life. In western Canada 'ski touring' means ski mountaineering.
Leo
February 15, 2008
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
 Originally Posted By: lbotta
Hey, you can ski for free at Snowshoe... It will just take you a heck of a walk up the mountain...

I actually had to do that once. As part of a condo package deal I received free junior tickets. I mistakenly put one on my jacket. The liftie wouldn't believe me and wanted to fine/cite me (whatever they do)...I said, "surely there is some option here, I am being honest, this was a mistake."

He said, "yeah, there's an option, you can walk up the hill."

So I did.
David
February 15, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: Leo

He said, "yeah, there's an option, you can walk up the hill."

So I did.

Wow, what a jerk. That must have sucked. Seems like snowshoe management may have reprimanded him if you would have complained enough.
camp
February 15, 2008
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
 Originally Posted By: sburnet1
... place you can go skiing for free in pennsylvania, as in rent some skis walk up a hill and ski down (or even ski up with xc) any help is appreciated =)
Sure, White Grass, WV, or Laurel Mountain, PA. There's just not much snow right now.
David
February 16, 2008
2,444 posts
This doesn't look like a bad mountain to doing some backcountry skiing for free on. Goodluck finding it. If you do you'll have it all to yourself. I'll give you a hint... it MAY be in WV.....

GGNagy
February 16, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Way back in the mid 80's when I XCed, I remember a Laurel Mt SP trail map, that had part of the Laurel Mt ski area slopes marked on it.

Due to the simple cost of snowmaking, and the lack of natural snow, you are going to be hard pressed to find any "free" skiing in the area. On top of that, insurance issues often make it a nono to be skiing on a persons private property, without permission.
Where there is natural snow, some have posted that it is possible to earn some turns at the former Oregon Ridge Ski Area in the Baltimore area. It has also be rumored that those "in the know" can take some runs at the former White Mt ski area, which is hidden back behind Seven Springs. Don't some people go to TL or CV after the season ends to skin up and ski down?
Of course, if you go up to the NE, there is allways the Thunderbolt on Mt Greylock \:\)
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 16, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
TORY???
The colonel \:\)
David
February 17, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
TORY???
The colonel \:\)

Looks like it would make for a nice day of backcountry turns huh? Or maybe I should say would have been nice when the pic was taken....
sburnet1
February 18, 2008
4 posts
muchos gracias senors, i am kinda thinking there's not going to be snow when i am up there in april...
sburnet1
February 18, 2008
4 posts
btw are any of these illegal?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?