latest GW findings from this week
37 posts
18 users
10k+ views
crunchy
December 12, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
since most of us are probably in need a little ray of hope as 50-60 degree temps have crept in putting the damper on the season kickoff excitement, and some start to question GW yet again.... well keep the faith.. here is some recent fresh evidence for ya \:\)

GW in colorado:

GW in UT:

GW in VT:

these were all farmed from various recent trip reports on TGR.. just thought it would bring some hope for us mid-atlantic'ers \:\)
Tucker
December 12, 2007
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Man those are some good pictures,,,, but I bet those guys would be having more fun if they would send a groomer over that powder so that snow was nice and flat...
fishnski
December 12, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Too bad GW has peaked & is on the wane...BUMMER!..Thanks for the refreshing shots there Sir Crunch-a-lot!! \:\)
comprex
December 12, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
That can't be Vermont. There's no self-respecting hardscrabble New Englander would splash out on a shiny expensive set of 1999 Volkl p40 Platinums like that. Not even for powder. ;\)
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
tromano
December 13, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
This sort of thing really pisses me off. :P
jimmy
December 13, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I know what you mean, i really hate it when the snow blows up in my phace and gets down my neck and up my jacket.
jimmy
December 13, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
 Quote:
Hey, after a week of hiking in the wilderness and communing with nature, there are few things I like more than drinking beer and watching football while being served by half-naked women. Jimmy- am I wrong on this one???

RogerZ i moved on from that nasty thread, my sensitive nature would not allow me to remain there and deal with all the name calling and such. I must say that whether its a week in the woods, 40 hours at work or just another saturday afternoon you are exactly correct.
Roger Z
December 13, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Okay Jimmy thank just glad to know that I'm not going crazy. And since we are in a good thread now- those are fantastic photos!
fishnski
December 14, 2007
3,530 posts
This thread still has the word GW in it..... CHILLS...Good thing Scotts back!....Never did get a chance to read anything on the "Nasty" Thread after 4PM...Did it go downhill from Rock Bottom??...

Let me get back on thread....I Got Home to measure my Hieght & Weight & My latest GW findings was the fact that I was only 6 foot 1 & 228lbs(not 6.2/238)...warm air & bieng 47 years of age has shrivvled me up a bit So I PM'd Jimmi to see if I could borrow his rock skiis for my next trip to TL...Thought I might need them.......Yeah, Could be some good Face shots at TL in the future!
jimmy
December 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
"This thread still has the word GW in it..... CHILLS...Good thing Scotts back!....Never did get a chance to read anything on the "Nasty" Thread after 4PM...Did it go downhill from Rock Bottom??..."

Was wondering the same thing, i was offline last nite, sharpening my rock skis for fish, something about he needed to carve up a penquin to chum for liberals, i didn't get all the details........

lamb that i am
i just sharpened them for the man

Capn crunch i approve
of your findings for the week

but it's and update on the midatlantic storm
i came here to seek.
KevR
December 14, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I don't agree with Scotts culling of the thread on GW, I think its relevant DCSki dicussion.
jimmy
December 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
KEVr i'm not sure what to say, on the one hand i'm glad for your reply bcause now i don't have to scroll to the right to read your hole post, on the other hand i'm hoping that this thread does not get locked before i find out about the weekends storm, all the while trying to stay in the middle of the road on this i too agree that gw is relevant DCSki discusssion, discusssion i guess being the key here, the culling of the thread probably had something to do with the discusssuion turning into more of a pork sausage sword fite; it's always fun around here when scott is away?
KevR
December 14, 2007
786 posts
Scott needs to post a "posting topics" guide. I think at this point what he considers "ok content" is rather arbitrary and the justification often unclear when something is removed.
tromano
December 14, 2007
998 posts
Kev,

The discussion in almost every GW thread always gets to become pretty crazy and off topic. Its worse because no one seems to agree on anything like basic facts which are a prerequisite to have a real disussion. And when we have had discussions in the past it has gotten pretty mean spirited without really accomplishing anything. Scott has said in the past that he doesn't think that the topic is worth fighting over here at DCski.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
December 14, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
928 posts

While GW is relevant, obviously, to winter sports, I would imagine the tone of that thread was not good for the dc ski image. I was surprised the thread lasted as long as it did. However, drawing the line between this thread and that one is difficult. The title here is provocative, but the pictures are fantastic. So I am changing the title on this post at least.

Bring on the snow and the snow pictures. In that vein, i really enjoy the little videos that okemo puts up. Anywhere else to catch well done recent mini movies ? I can catch some things on TGR but its too much effort (time) to keep up with that stie.
kennedy
December 14, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
As long as it's a discussion it's fine but it usually degenerates into an all out brawl. Once it gets to that point it loses all validity because everyone has stopped listening to each other and we just degenerate into personal attacks. Waste of time and deserves to be culled, it kind of becomes an evil untopic.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 14, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
pics and video from Smuggs:
http://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/skiride/hughs-blog.php

It is seriously white up there!
crunchy
December 14, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: pagamony

Anywhere else to catch well done recent mini movies ?

the bird always has nice ones....this one rocks!.. ive seen hand thrown and string run charges to set off avy's, but never a howitzer with gigantic shells inside resort boundries \:\)
http://www.snowbird.com/video/december9_2007.html
SCWVA
December 14, 2007
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
A couple of pictures from Jay Peak this am. 9" of snow overnite and more snow expected today. They are basically 100% open (73 of 76 trails).

Jay Peak Daily Pictures 12/14

Check out 12/8 also.

jimboc
December 14, 2007
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
if only jay peak was closer - they will get hammered the next couple of days
Clay
December 14, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
but if they were closer, they wouldn't get hammered would they?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Two thoughts...might be a real challenge!
1. I have seen the recoilless guns in action at several resorts including Snowbird. Pretty awesome...especially if they set off an avalanche!
2. I think Scott shut down the other GW thread because it got too trashy, nasty, with language that many deem inappropriate, especially for a family site. We all need to remember the audience that Scott has several times indicated he wants the DCSki site to cater too.
While many people these days, unfortunately in my opinion, populate their conversations with four letter words, at work, in mixed company, etc. DCSki is not the site for this type of language. And that is what the owner of the site wants and should get. "F*$!k" and similar language are not adjectives.
Bottom line, if we DCSkiers can not keep is reasonably clean, then Scott has every right to delete the post or thread. There are other sites that cater to this type of language.
As for the specific GW "discussion", while obviously relevant to future long term skiing anywhere, and especially here in the mid Atlantic, most of us, and I exclude Skier219, have no idea what we are talking about, and simply take whatever side appeals to us. I agree with Skier219 that the core Arctic ice samples will provide considerable new data once analyzed, a time consuming process; until then, I'll continue to read the conflicting, spin doctored details in the paper and magazines and pray that somebody will figure this all out before we all drown or get covered by an ice age.
Please do not beat me up too much about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Colonel \:\)
fishnski
December 14, 2007
3,530 posts
You DA MAN Colonel!..No Worries....By the way..What is your story sir?...U Are Or Were a Colonel..Right??..U Diddn't just stay at a Holiday Inn Express & start Posting on DCSki As a Colonel?!...All the respect to ya sir!
fishnski
December 14, 2007
3,530 posts
I Mean ...U don't just like Chicken & Skiing Do Ya?!!
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 14, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
Editors get to make seemingly arbitrary decisions -- it's in the job description.

I agree that climate change is relevant to skiing, but experience has proven that this topic always -- without exception -- turns into the kind of inappropriate posts that I witnessed this past week on DCSki, and very quickly moves off topic. There is a wide array of web sites that can be used to sling mud and endlessly debate topics such as global warming -- DCSki is not the place for any of that. People should also realize that while a few people might enjoy engaging in these kinds of discussions, there are hundreds of people (many lurkers who don't post) who do not appreciate this. I often hear from this "silent majority" in e-mail, and when I do, I know there's a problem.

I tell friends and colleagues of all ages to check out DCSki, and I am downright embarrassed by the most recent thread on this topic. DCSk is regularly read by children, by grandparents, and everyone in between. People come to DCSki to learn about skiing -- not to read political diatribes or personal attacks. DCSki is a place to escape that. And the DCSki Forums have been popular because they are populated by mature and friendly folks who are passionate about skiing and snowboarding and eager to spread their knowledge.

As I have said before, I rarely exercise editorial control here, but I will not hesitate to stamp out anything that threatens the professionalism, family-friendliness, and good-natured discussion that has become a hallmark of the DCSki Forums. This is something we should all work to preserve, because these days, it's rare to find that on Internet message boards.
David
December 14, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I agree. I hear enough GW debate the way it is. I don't want to log on here and have to hear it too. Thanks for removing it Scott. You are the MAN!!!
fishnski
December 14, 2007
3,530 posts
Brown noser!(Luv ya Man!)..Scott I sincerly apologize to you & anyone that was offended...I lost control after repeatedly trying to give the other guy an out...but he kept on coming!...Your right..this is a family blog & even though i feel that We shouldn't coddle our youngins & the fact that they probably hear worse stuff at school, that is no way an excuse for what went down...someone has to set an example...Unlike a previous President(don't be a fool & vote for his wife) & a Mayor of this very town that dcski is based on !
fishnski
December 14, 2007
3,530 posts
 Originally Posted By: jimmy
"This thread still has the word GW in it..... CHILLS...Good thing Scotts back!....Never did get a chance to read anything on the "Nasty" Thread after 4PM...Did it go downhill from Rock Bottom??..."

Was wondering the same thing, i was offline last nite, sharpening my rock skis for fish, something about he needed to carve up a penquin to chum for liberals, i didn't get all the details........

lamb that i am
i just sharpened them for the man

Capn crunch i approve
of your findings for the week

but it's and update on the midatlantic storm
i came here to seek.

.....This is VINTAGE Jimmi That I couldn't just let slide off the Hill before Anyone that loves Jimmi's posts had a chance to read!....He is a good ole boy for sure!
KevR
December 14, 2007
786 posts
No I'm sorry you are not consistent -- removing that thread which contained a lot of good discussion, and a little mud-slinging was not appropriate.

Here -- a test: Search for SH*T in the DCSki comments area -- you will get this from one of our most popular posters.

RIGHT - very family oriented....

---

Heh - Utah!2007-12-02, 13:34:00
Hi T! Cool u are settling in.

As for the LDS Church when the missionaries came to knock on my door i made sure i answered without a shit on with my piercing out and my hair messed up smelling like booze (which is my natural state) and they would kind of freeze and then run away.

Fine dinning/ethnic diversity/cultural - well to be honest, "it sucks to be you". but look at the trade-off (like when it is measured in feet of accumulation) !!!!

Re: no xxx on Sunday where xxxpizza, booze, strippers, whatever . no crap that's why i use to drive to Nevada.

Cost of staples - hey that Smith's grocery store card really works, don't it?

and you still haven't experienced the thrill of driving in SLC during a storm and watch over 500 people go sliding off the road or hitting each other since they drive like stock car racers drafting each other.

... but on the other hand, when that storm rolls in, you'll conveniently suffer from memory loss regarding the above... face shots are a great amnesia-maker .
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 14, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
 Originally Posted By: KevR
No I'm sorry you are not consistent -- removing that thread which contained a lot of good discussion, and a little mud-slinging was not appropriate.

Here -- a test: Search for SH*T in the DCSki comments area -- you will get this from one of our most popular posters.

RIGHT - very family oriented....

What can I say? Feel free to start your own ski site and exercise as much consistency as you want. That thread was entirely inappropriate for DCSki and I'd bet some of the main contributors to it would acknowledge that it went too far. I'm sorry I don't have time to comb through every individual post made on DCSki, but when enough people complain about one, and it is dominating DCSki's home page, or doesn't appear to be winding down on its own, it's my responsibility to step in. I try to avoid exercising editorial control in the forums, because I believe everyone here means well and it usually "self-polices." I can find lots of examples of posts that made me cringe but sometimes it's better to ignore small and isolated examples of bad behavior than to draw attention to them.
David
December 14, 2007
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: KevR

No, see you got that backwards. There was a whole lot of mud-slinging and very little good discussion. I mean come on people were talking about taking off their gloves and throwing down when they met up at a ski resort. That was a little too much for DCSki. Heck, if that would have kept on going Andy may have ended up in jail by the end of the season. We couldn't have that cuz we would lose our biggest MPC supporter. (and artic ice reporter)
KevR
December 15, 2007
786 posts
Then edit out the inappropriate parts - that protects against the ability by a few to keep certian information off the site because they don't like by degenerating the discussion to such a level that the whole thing gets wiped out.

skier219
December 15, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I think Scott has the right to run DCski the way he wants, and if he deems the thread inappropriate, so be it. Small price to pay for having a clean site. Somebody has to be responsible and act like an adult around here! That said, I'm rather curious about the fireworks that ultimately sent that thread down in flames ;\)

Colonel, I think you give me too much credit -- though I work with a bunch of atmospheric scientists, I'm not one of them. I listen and learn, but don't have any expertise in the area. Rocket science is my bag.
tromano
December 15, 2007
998 posts
Here is some stoke that I thought some of you guys might like to see. Its very strong, beware. ;\)

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105529
fishnski
December 15, 2007
3,530 posts
AWESOME!...If it wasn't for my love of the Surf,Beaches & the awesome Reefs & fish on out to the Gulfstream here in the Carolinas....thats where I would live!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 15, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Thanks. Beautiful pictures.
The Colonel \:\)
David
December 15, 2007
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: skier219
Rocket science is my bag.

That wouldn't be funny if I knew that you were being sarcastic...

Originally Posted By: tromano
Here is some stoke that I thought some of you guys might like to see. Its very strong, beware. ;\)

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105529

I saw that thread last night. There was some awesome stoke in it by the time I went to bed. I was happy to see a thread that everyone came together on and did just cuss each other stupid. Very nice!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?