Question for New Members
20 posts
16 users
4k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 5, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
A lot of new readers have registered on the DCSki Forums in recent weeks. (Welcome!) Many more of you continue to lurk -- you know who you are! \:\) For the new members, if you just recently discovered DCSki, I am curious to learn how you first discovered the site.
bawalker
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Scott, this might be something interesting to do... some sort of data mining in the form of how all the members came to know about DCSki and sign up.
bri
December 5, 2007
Member since 11/26/2007 🔗
4 posts
Hi Scott,

New member here, but I've skiied Wisp, Seven Springs, Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail, Snowshoe, Wintergreen, Canaan Valley, and others locally. I just got back from an early season trip up to killington.

I actually found dcski by just typing the URL and seeing what was there. It seemed a logical name to me to try for a site like this, and I was more than impressed with what I found. But I didn't find it linked somewhere or referred by anyone, it was a blind guess at a URL.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 5, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
The annual Washington Post ski issue came out in the Sunday paper 12/4/07. There was the briefest mention of DCSki at the end of one of the articles as a place to go for more info on local skiing. I wonder if that generated some new views?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
kwillg6
December 5, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I was looking for ski clubs when DC Ski poped up in the search. Strange, but I consider DC Ski to be my ski club. I've met so many great individuals here and it really helps me put things into perspective when visiting.
ubu
December 5, 2007
Member since 05/11/2005 🔗
40 posts
I stumbled onto DC Ski a few years back when looking for info on buying a home in Canaan Valley. Info on the site ended up being instrumental in my decision to buy a place in old timberline. I've been lurking & occasionally posting ever since.
yellowsnow
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
I bought a place in canaan valley 10 years ago, so over the years, I would cruise the internet looking for stuff on West Virginia. I was always wanting to know what was happening in the valley...new restaurants...dead businesses...was it snowing...all that sort of thing. I found DCSki mentioned in passing by someone who was commenting on one of the local resort websites.
Can't remember when I started lurking, but finally signed up a couple years ago.
I still mostly lurk, seldom post. When I do, it's always something worthless.
I find it amusing to read the expert knowledge on local West Virginia issues that resides here. ;\)
Enjoyable site. I check it every day.
Ronin
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/17/2006 🔗
3 posts
I got here from a Google Search, its been a while but it was something like "DC skiing forum" or the like. I really enjoy the site, its nice to read first hand reports on how conditions are before I decide to make last minute plans to get out. Like today, cant decide between wisp or snowshoe. :lol
Snow Crash
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/4/2007 🔗
12 posts
Came here during a google search for online skiing
forums. I was a lurker for a long while, finally
decided to sign up.
langleyskier
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Started lurking i believe my sophomore year of HS. I think i had read something in either the newspaper that mentioned DCski or just typed into google something that produced DCski... cant really remember, it was a long time ago. I probably lurked for a few months before registering. Kinda funny that so may people have found this place purely from google or by accident
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Welcome, Bri! Tell us about yourself!
The Colonel \:\)
December 5, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
 Originally Posted By: kwillg6
I was looking for ski clubs when DC Ski poped up in the search. Strange, but I consider DC Ski to be my ski club. I've met so many great individuals here and it really helps me put things into perspective when visiting.

AMEN!!
The Colonel
December 5, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
 Originally Posted By: kwillg6

My second post re kwillg6's post. This time I'll try to get the quote thing correct. AMEN!!!
Now if we could only learn more about each other, such as age, boarder or skier, etc. to facilitate trying to get together of a day trip or longer!
December 5, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Welcome, Snow Crash! Interesting nickname? Meaning?
OhioHillbillies
December 5, 2007
Member since 09/29/2007 🔗
30 posts
We found the site while researching information for a purchase of a home in Timberline/Canaan. The people we have met (and some of our new neighbors) are on DCSki! It's a great resource for the skiing community and a super place to make new friends. It's on my "favorites" and I look at it everyday! Love, Love, LOVE the web cams!
Chuck T
December 6, 2007
Member since 12/6/2007 🔗
1 posts
I saw a link on White Grass web site I'm planing a trip there next few weeks and visit my son in Morgantown, WV Kill two birds in one shot, visit and xc ski I live in NJ and xc conditions are not the best.
Snow Crash
December 6, 2007
Member since 12/4/2007 🔗
12 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
Welcome, Snow Crash! Interesting nickname? Meaning?

Hello Colonel! It's from the Neal Stephenson novel of the
same name:

http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Crash-Bantam-Spectra-Book/dp/0553380958

Since I am (honestly) still a beginner that just started
on the blue slopes early this year, it also describes
only too well my skiing adventures..I am looking to
improve though!
Hope4Snow
December 7, 2007
Member since 12/2/2007 🔗
9 posts
Been reading for a few years. Was digging around for info on local openings, and just decided (for kicks) to sign up. This is a great site. Thanks for providing it!
luist2401
December 7, 2007
Member since 01/10/2007 🔗
18 posts
Been reading since last season. Think I found it on a google search about mid-atlantic ski resorts.

This is a great site that I visit often and refer others to often.

Thanks for all the info.
kimmie
December 14, 2007
Member since 12/14/2007 🔗
17 posts
I was doing a search on ski clubs and snowshoe mtn info when i ran across this site. I am an adict spend my four day breaks (3x a month) at snowshoe. Google search by the way.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.