Earned Turns at Timberline
12 posts
10 users
4k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 2, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
After the Jack Frost party at Whitegrass I made turns at Timberline on Sun. morning. Alas it did not precipitate until Sun. AM and it was rain not the hoped for snow. Nevertheless I skinned up White Lightning where a line of connected whales allowed about 600 vert. of turns. They were rain softened corn and skied like butter. I'd have taken a couple more runs but for the half dozen places where cold rain was soaking through to skin.

The cold side of this front is likely to drop 6-12" on the WV Highlands on M-Th.
langleyskier
December 3, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Way to go... nothing wrong with some earned turns on Dec. 2nd! How much snow had they made up there? Probably even more than a foot up in the valley. I would not be surprised to see isolated totals of 12-18 inches at snowshoe and canaan. Looks like they will get some great upslope and a decent clipper on tus night-thurs! Next weekend could be great for timberline's opening day
crunchy
December 3, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
way to go Denis! you win the hardcore award \:\) i hoped to do the same but was a little too jack frosted sunday morning to venture in the rain/drizzle. It looked like white lighting was covered top to bottom tho... minus the truckload of snow the Chase boys borrowed from tline to make a little jump at whitegrass \:\)

the rain over top of whats there, should freeze and make a nice base for the new stuff tho.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 3, 2007
2,337 posts
The top 3-4 whales on WL were not connected yet. Rather than take skis off or just mud ski, I skied from where the continuous snow ended, about halfway + a bit. I hope that TL gets busy during this cold snap. They have a lot of work to do if they are going to open anytime soon.
jimmy
December 3, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Quote:
.....skinned up White Lightning where a line of connected whales allowed about 600 vert. of turns. They were rain softened corn and skied like butter

\:D \:D \:D

Quote:
.....i hoped to do the same but was a little too jack frosted sunday morning....

Quote:
I hope that TL gets busy during this cold snap. They have a lot of work to do if they are going to open anytime soon.

Thanks for the first hand report Denis; u'd think with the new, improved?? wesbite and mountain cam people who are interested in whats going on down there could just get on the internet and find out \:\/ .
kwillg6
December 3, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
but it is timberline we're talking about.... \:\( \:\( \:\(
JohnL
December 3, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Denis,

When you left on Sunday was there any natural snow in between the trails? Was the ground frozen?
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 3, 2007
2,337 posts
John,

No and No, unfortunately.

That may be changing right now but I can't tell for sure; the Sods webcam is down.
http://www.fsvisimages.com/images/photos-large/doso1large.jpg
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 3, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Denis:

Does chip have any interest in a webcam? I suspect he could get one of the realtors in the valley to sponsor it? It would get a lot of traffic. The Timberline webcam this year is never running.
yellowsnow
December 3, 2007
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
tromano
December 4, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Nice work Dennis!Sounds like some difficult conditions.
telemarketer
December 5, 2007
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
10 posts
Thinking of getting "sick" tomorrow and earning some turns at T'Line, Canaan Valley or White Grass. Anyone have an opinion on whether it's worth the drive? The White Grass report is lookin good and I'm thinking that the resort slopes with a man made base could be downright fluffy!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.