Whitegrass Powder Day
4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 6, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Played hooky yesterday and bagged my first powder day of the year. Lots of great pics and supporting info here, http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html
which includes this thumbnail, http://www.whitegrass.com/NewReport/DSC01244sm.jpg titled, Denis heading UP.

The morning was best and I got 3 runs on the open slope. After a long lunch and recuperation I decided to try for the National Nordic Reserve, a 4000'+ wonderland and a personal favorite in midwinter when it is easily accessed by a $5 single lift ride. Now however it is ~ 3 miles and 1200' of climb in the deep snow. No matter, I'd just take it slow with my old man's trudge, enjoy the scenery and see how far I could get. Above 4000' there was well over a foot of powder. I got to Bald Knob, whew - almost there - and pointed the skis east and downhill and just stopped. The snow was too deep to move and starting to set up as temps warmed. I turned around at that point; no sense going another 3/4 mile each way only to find more snow too deep to move. There was a set of tracks & nice turns, almost filled in now. Someone had gotten there when it was good. On the way back to Whitegrass I ran into Robert and the mystery was solved. Robert is the King of getting to the powder before you do. He has been doing it for years and is well known in the Canaan Valley. Lower down in Springer Orchard we found good powder and the kind of turns you dream about all summer. All in all a great day and only Dec. 5.
Longboard
December 6, 2007
Member since 12/4/2007 🔗
7 posts
Denis

If you don't mind sharing....is the National Nordic Reserve more of a x/c area or does it have enough vert to warrent teleboards?

Also (being new to the area) $5 lift service is out of TL correct?

Cheers -
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 6, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Longboard,

To get the best answers to these and other questions stop in to the Whitegrass base Lodge and ask Chip or any of the gang. Tell them I sent you. And yes, bring your teles.

Denis
tromano
December 7, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Dennis you rock! Noice work!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?