December 15, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
...who is going??
Chad
December 15, 2004
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
check out the NOAA forecast for davis. snow every day, except a sunny day thursday.
pwillysim
December 15, 2004
Member since 09/2/2004 🔗
38 posts
I'll be there waiting for the lifts to start.
Regards, Paul
jimmy
December 15, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I'll be standing in line next to Paul. Want to hook up?

jimmy
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Chad
December 15, 2004
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
hey do we know which lifts/runs will be open? the "more information" link on their website appears to be pointed the wrong way.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 15, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

hey do we know which lifts/runs will be open? the "more information" link on their website appears to be pointed the wrong way.

I'm trying to get the same information from the Timberline webmaster. He usually posts updates late in the afternoon. Check the web site after 5 pm today.

Like everyone else, I want to know what will be open this weekend before making a trip.
jimmy
December 15, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
******, you'll be there
bawalker
December 15, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I'll be there third in line at the lifts
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 15, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
This is the most reliable conditions report for the valley;
http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html

It's looking good now.
ski_guy_59
December 15, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
I'd gladly take suggestions on a means to ski at T-Line tomorrow morning and make it back to UF for my environmental science exam tomorrow night! Temps were in the 20s this morning. If I had one of those backyard blizzard snow guns I would have set it up on the lawn and made a few turns this morning!
JohnL
December 15, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
18" of snow at the 4000 ft stake. What a difference a week makes.
jimmy
December 15, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
What're you wearing? I'll be in green/grey titanium jacket, but look for the red boots

jimmy
bawalker
December 15, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Should we have a small get together place at say... the ticket window at 9am? Thunderdraft lift at 9:30am? Suggestions?
December 15, 2004
1,986 posts
There's a little information posted here:

http://www.timberlineresort.com/snowreports.asp

I'm trying to convince the webmaster to provide more specifics about what will open Thursday and what will be open on the weekend.

If I were a gambler, which I am not, I would bet that White Lightning (Upper), Cross Roads, and Woods Hole will open this weekend, but Sally, I'm afraid to say, is a long-shot at best.
JohnL
December 15, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
John,

Do you think that T-Line would open on Thursday with only Woods Hole open?
jimboc
December 15, 2004
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
that's what they are saying if you call 1800-snowing....woods hole only for thurs (i cant believe that!!)
Lietmotiv
December 15, 2004
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
Hey guys. I don't really have the inside "scoop" on snow reports because I'm not on the mountain but sitting in Northern VA where there is no snow at all. While I do get nice nuggets of info sometimes and sneak them onto this board the snow report is not one of them. That is controlled by Timberline management at the office. I suggest you check the website and call the 1800SNOWING number to get your info. I get my info there too.
December 15, 2004
1,986 posts
Quote:

John,

Do you think that T-Line would open on Thursday with only Woods Hole open?

I don't think they want to fully staff the mountain until the weekend, which makes sense because few people ski midweek. This is a business after all, not a charity.

On a positive note, our Condo Association Prez sent went out and took some wonderful shots of the slopes today. The snow quality looks INCREDIBLE and with luck, Timberline will surprise a lot of people this weekend. They may be the only resort in the area to offer 1,000 feet of vertical over the weekend, and that counts for a lot in my book.

Some of these photos were posted in the T-line image gallery:

http://www.timberlineresort.com/ngallery/
bawalker
December 15, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Hrm, so it appears they will only have woods hole open/crossroads open?

Is there any POSSIBLE chance that they will have the midstation stop open with say... Lower White Lightening open??
SeaRide
December 16, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Quote:

by bawalker
Hrm, so it appears they will only have woods hole open/crossroads open?

Is there any POSSIBLE chance that they will have the midstation stop open with say... Lower White Lightening open??

as of 8:22am, Timberline snow report says:
  • Crossroads | snowmaking on-going
  • Fire road | snowmaking on-going
  • Lower Salamander | snowmaking on-going
  • Ceiling | snowmaking
  • Upper Salamander | snowmaking on-going
  • Woods Hole | Snowmaking On-going. Opening Thursday.
  • Lower White Lightning | snowmaking On-going
  • Upper White Lightning | Snowmaking On-going. Likely opening this weekend
  • skiTLINE
    December 16, 2004
    Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
    230 posts
    Any idea which runs are open at T-Line? The site was last updated 12/14. I tell you one thing. Its good they delay opening to work on the base. Looks like they are off to a good start particularly since the weather sucked up until a week ago.
    SeaRide
    December 16, 2004
    237 posts
    as of 9:43am, Timberline (DEC 16th) snow report says:
  • Crossroads | OPEN | snowmaking on-going
  • Ceiling | snowmaking
  • Woods Hole | OPEN | Snowmaking On-going. Open Today.

Lifts open: 1
    Trails Open: 2
    Total Trails: 34

Timberline SNOW Phone
    (304) 866-4828
    Online Snow Reports

• tomimcmillar
    December 16, 2004
    Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
    129 posts
    yo Denis,

sent you a PM, not sure if it got thru.

You gonna be in the Valley on Saturday?

We should be pulling into Chipper's lot 9:30ish.
    Hope that it's good conditions for some open area fast and danger. Day one of the year may not be the best to jump into the trees just yet. Figuring Weiss, Springers and National Nordic.
    If still a bit sketchy for natural turns, we're heading to T-line as a backup, prolly grab an afternoon tag, 12:30-4:30.

peace,
    Tom
    Denis - DCSki Supporter 
    December 16, 2004
    Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
    2,337 posts
    Hi Tom,

I got your message and replied; maybe the system doesn't work. I'm going to be at Whitetail for an instructor clinic. In truth I'd rather be at Whitegrass. Make some turns for me and say hello to Chip.

Denis
    tomimcmillar
    December 16, 2004
    Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
    129 posts
    Yeah, my mailbox shows one received message, but then none show when I hit 'received mail'....weird.

Will say howdy to Chip, will definitely make some squigglies in your honor. Sorry you can't make it, enjoy Whitetail. I might swing by RT Sunday afternoon, if not, then Monday eve. Once I pick up my club card, might try to run down to Whitetail for a late week eve session.

l8r,
    T
    SeaRide
    December 16, 2004
    237 posts
    Quote:

as of 9:43am, Timberline (DEC 16th) snow report says:
  • Crossroads | OPEN | snowmaking on-going
  • Ceiling | snowmaking
  • Woods Hole | OPEN | Snowmaking On-going. Open Today.

• as of 1524, same as above but ADD "White Out"

• White Out | OPEN |

Lifts open: 1
    Trails Open: 3
    Total Trails: 35

Timberline SNOW Phone
    (304) 866-4828
    Online Snow Reports
  • johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
    December 16, 2004
    1,986 posts
    ski_guy_59
    December 16, 2004
    Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
    221 posts
    If you plan on printing multiple tickets, make sure to refresh the page, it changes the number at the bottom of the ticket. I've seen resorts do e-mail promotions that offer free lift tickets and then say that the e-mail address is the same on every copy, so they will give only one free ticket. That's a great deal though!
    jimmy
    December 17, 2004
    Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
    2,650 posts
    Thursday report for Timberline was correct. We drove down Wednesday night, got to the lodge around 11:30. Plan was to get picture taken and ski there Thursday. Glad we didn't call first or we probably wouldn't have gone. Had a couple of drinks @ Timber Pub, got word about what'd be open and headed for the house.

Anyway, we called TLine & Canaan Thurs morning, went down to pick up our passes and talked w/ Ed Worden, I think he's the SSD. He truly felt bad that Woods Hole was all they had to offer, but they're making snow like crazy. Ed said they'd be open to the mid station Friday and should have White Lightning open from the top Saturday.

We hung around wondering if bawalker made it and debating whether to boot up, go to canaan or head south to snowshoe. YEAH lets go to Snowshoe.

Good decision. They had some pretty fun stuff open between Powder Monkey and Ballhooter lift. There was a snow cat parked near the bottom of Ballhooter and we hoped maybe it would open Thursday; later in the day they had moved it and you could see mud in the tracks, the ground is still pretty warm. Conditions were good and we skied pretty hard for first day. Decided at about 1:30 to head over to Silvercreek. Neither Paul or I had ever been able to tear ourselves away from Snowshoe to go there so it seemed like a good day to check it out.

They had four or five trails open and at 2:00pm it looked like they had just groomed. We got 5 or 6 runs in before legs called it a day. Legs usually supercede desire this early in the season. We caught the shuttle back to the Top of the World, had a little tailgate party, stopped by the new Ski Barn (though that's not what it's called) at the entrance to Silver Creek and headed for home. Nine hours on the road, six hours sleep, four hours on the slopes; Crazy? maybe- Worth it? Definitly.

A nice little line we got from a very nice professor from NOVA re: why she bought her 2nd home near snoeshoe, "You don't choose West Virginia, West Virginia chooses you"

jimmy
    December 17, 2004
    1,986 posts
    Jimmy:

Thanks for the great information. I've been on the fence about this weekend, but I just checked the T-line web site and it is reporting UPPER WHITE LIGHTNING as open, so I guess I'll go and pick up my pass.

http://www.timberlineresort.com/snowreports.asp

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?