Last turns and killer whales
9 posts
5 users
2k+ views
kwillg6
April 2, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts
Got back late last night from timberline after skiing the drop's killer whales all weekend . They were transforming from whales to large tuna by the late afternoon, Sunday. The weather was warm, and partly cloudy all weekend. Enjoyed the cookout with Jimmy, Mrs. Jimmy, Clay and others s
Saturday night too. Too bad it has to end . In order to get to the lift from the drop you had to jump a couple of spots of dirt and mud because so much melting was going on. I even spotted a few dirt chickens . And how about those uh...., scantly clad female patrollers???? What a weekend!!!!
SkiBumMSP
April 2, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Still miffed about having been unable to make it up there due to falling ill on Thursday/Friday! I'd loved to have gotten to see everyone up there one last time before the season went kaput. Oh well, it'll be there next year.

Sounded like it turned out to be some good skiing and the weather was pretty decent as well. I was wondering about if there was any rain/storms there on Sunday (looked like some was passing through that general area when I was looking at the weather reports).

Well, till next year....
Clay
April 2, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Not nearly as much rain as they were calling for. A couple of sprinkles here and there. Nothing that would drive you off the slopes. We left the valley around 3 and there was nothing significant up to that point.

I've got some pics I'll dig up and post.

Clay

PS - Kim check your PMs for a PM from me.
Clay
April 2, 2007
555 posts
Here's a few pics.

Saturday 3/31 - as you can see, we lost a lot of snow at the top - but that made getting to the top of trails half the fun

Here is the view from the top of White Lightning / Thunder Struck

Sunday 4/2 - Not much change in the weather - The view from Thunder Struck

Don't let the gray fool you, while it wasn't a powder day by any stretch of the imagination, the snow was soft, but not too soft (Sunday was a little better than Saturday, I thought) and the company was good. There was no better way for me to finish the season than standing at the bottom of Lower Thunder Struck cheering some of my new friends (KWillG6, Mrs. KWill and Danielle to name a few) on to victory in the Local's cup race.

Clay
kwillg6
April 3, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts
Clay, we gotta get you over to the drop at least once next season to see the whales, or in Sunday's case, the tunas. The Mrs. and I skied them and skied them until our legs gave out (it's that age thing). I've now hit closing day somewhere for the past 20 years. Although it was not epic like three years ago with the 2' of fresh on closing weekend, I couldn't complain. Everyone I talked to agreed that this was one of the better second halfs of the ski season that they could remember.
Clay
April 3, 2007
555 posts
I think I made a lot of progress this year and my goal for next is to be skiing The Drop. And I can't think of anybody I'd rather have show me the ropes than the man in the puke green boots

Clay
SCWVA
April 3, 2007
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
The whales were a blast. Spent the enitre day doing laps on the Drop. Actually, I did one run down OTW. It a great last day on the slopes.
langleyskier
April 3, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Quote:

as you can see, we lost a lot of snow at the top - but that made getting to the top of trails half the fun

just wondering?- how did you get from the top to where the snow was?
Clay
April 3, 2007
555 posts
Good question. And in all honesty, after I got home and I looked at the picture I had taken, I thought 'what a crappy picture' because it didn't include that. There was a ribbon of snow running down the left side of the picture out of frame. You took that down by the other lift and then came across to the top of White Lightning, Thuder Struck and Upper Almost Heaven.

I did hear the snow was okay on Twister and Dew Drop, but there was no way to ski to the top of those trails. I saw some enterprising young folks take off their skis and hoof it.

Clay

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.