Total ski/ride days this year for everyone?
55 posts
34 users
28k+ views
bawalker
March 31, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
My season this year was pretty horrible only making it out TWO total days to the slopes. Once in December and once in mid-January. I'm curious though if the warm weather and rainy weather (even though we had lots of snowy days) affected anyone making it to the slopes?

How many days did *YOU* ski/ride this year?
Snowmakers
March 31, 2007
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Today made numero 34. Good season.
tgd
March 31, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Quote:

I'm curious though if the warm weather and rainy weather (even though we had lots of snowy days) affected anyone making it to the slopes?

Warm rainy weather????? Forgotten after 11 straight weeks of cold and snow and many WV powder days - you'd have to be in a coma (or working way too hard Brad) to miss "The Stretch". 22 days for me - most yet - only one marginal day (MLK day weekend). I could have easily made 25 days but for family commitments.

Tom
SkiBumMSP
March 31, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
I don't know how many I actually skied, but it is definitely well into the 20's! I would've chalked up two more this weekend if I did not fall ill yesterday and this morning. At least I am feeling better, but still sucked to miss out on this last bit of skiing.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
wojo
March 31, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
last was was last day whitetail closed . . . 9, 4 in Colorado!
skier219
March 31, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
25 for me. Would like to get 30+ next year, but will need to plan better. I ended up doing a lot of driving (5000+ miles) for day trips this year.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 31, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
928 posts
Come on guys, lets see some details, I want to know where you went. I have a tight distribution. Only two days of lousy conditions, between Christmas and New Year. All the rest were really good days. I skied pow with my kids out west. I skied trees with my son at Timberline (big knot on my knee as well). My loyal 11 yr.old girl abandoned me for snowboarding (inevitable). I skied half as much as most of you and still had a great year. It ended too soon.

5 keystone
1 keystone XC
5 wintergreen
1 massanutten
1 canaan valley
1 timberline

happy trails ...
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 31, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
780 posts
Gorgeous photo, pagamony! And a good question, too.

My ski days:
Wintergreen 5 -- including runs with pagamony and skier219
Bousquet 2
Mt. Snow 1
Wisp 3
Blue Knob 1
Roundtop 1
Stratton 1
Liberty 1
Canaan Valley 1
Timberline 1

17 times...the most since high school for me. A good season. 7 ski areas I'd never visited.

Here's to last season. And the next one.

Carpe ski-em,
Woody
Ullr
March 31, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Gore - 1
Hunter - 2
Massanutten - 1
Wintergreen - 1
Snowshoe - 2
Smugglers Notch - 2
Okemo - 3
Clay
March 31, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
44 (counting tomorrow) - T-Line

Clay
itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
March 31, 2007
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts
7 days
4 @ whitetail
3 glorious days in late Janurary at Snowshoe
Scott - DCSki Editor
March 31, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
3 @ Whitetail.

That's it, but it was a great three days, especially since my knee had been acting up most of the winter and I was worried I'd have to sit this season out.

And I bought new skis, which are ready and waiting for next season...
skier219
March 31, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Oh, now I have to think about this...

8 days at Snowshoe / Silver Creek
1 powder day at Canaan Valley (probably my best ski day in 5-10 years)
1 day at Timberline (the bluebird day after)
So that leaves 15 days at Wintergreen

I can only think of one mediocre day at Wintergreen back in December when I was skiing the same trail over and over in the rain (couldn't have been that bad if I stayed 9-5 though). Then one day last week at Wintergreen got too slushy to enjoy by mid afternoon. All the other days were wonderful from start to finish. I normally get 40K vertical feet on a typical day.

This reminds me though, I need to get out of the mid-Atlantic for a few turns next year (my native New England beckons). I also plan to spend more time at TL and CV instead of Snowshoe next year.
tskski
March 31, 2007
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts

Massanutten - 2
Winterplace - 1
7-Springs - 1
Loveland - 2
A-Basin - 1

Not as many days as I had hoped for at the start of the season.
David
April 1, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
12 days total for me...not too bad for a broke full time student....

2 Timberline
1 Snowshoe
3 Canaan Valley
3 Wisp
3 Killington
RobertW
April 1, 2007
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
17 if I am counting correctly, all at 7 Springs. All of them during the week or weeknights, except for today which was their closing day. Two really epic powder days (and a few other good ones), one of which I felt as if I had the whole place to myself for a few hours. Did not travel this year, Did not feel like driving to Blue Knob (bad weather...must be getting old), Laurel Mountain is still closed, and our annual trip to Wisp was cancelled.

Also set some sort of record for variety of weather and variety of people I skied with. And I loved my new K2 Apache Recons.
SkiBumMSP
April 1, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

Come on guys, lets see some details, I want to know where you went.

Okay, if you insist! I'll try to break this down as best I can:

15+ - Massanutten
2 - Wintergreen
2 - Timberline (I guess I could almost count this as three, as I stuck around and skied it that Saturday evening right until when I had to go in to meet up to participate in the torchlight/lava parade)
1 - Liberty
2 - Sno Mountain (skied it open to close (day and night skiing), so I count that as two days)
2 - Elk Mountain (same thing as with Sno Mountain)
1 - Blue Mountain

Unfortunately, no trip out west this year. I was going to go to Mammoth Mountain, but had to give that up to save the vacation so I can go to Wisconsin for a family reunion instead.
JohnL
April 1, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
3 Whitetail
2 Blue Knob
1 Seven Springs
3 Wolf Creek, CO
4 Solitude, UT
3 Alta, UT
2 Brighton, UT
1 Powder Mountain, UT
1 The Canyons, UT
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 1, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Pagamony, my guess is that is a Keystone view from North Peak looking over to the Outback. But set me straight. What trail standing on and what area are we looking at. Looks like lots of loose snow laying around.
April 1, 2007
928 posts
Quote:

Pagamony, my guess is that is a Keystone view from North Peak looking over to the Outback. But set me straight. What trail standing on and what area are we looking at. Looks like lots of loose snow laying around.

You got it. That's on either spillway or anticipation about half way down, probably feb 13 or 14. Those clouds are the next storm gathering. The slopes ahead are the north side of the Outback and the best tree skiing I have ever seen and hold snow really well, but the other side of the Outback was a better match for my 'developing' skills. I like it back there alot. We got about 5" sweet fresh every day - except the last day which was about 10" but high enough winds to close down both north peak and outback all day and the frontside at about 2pm. It was a really good week.
Roger Z
April 1, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
1 at Loveland, CO
2 at Deer Valley, UT
2 at Park City, UT
2 at The Canyons, UT
2 at Taos, NM
3 at Wolf Creek, CO

Total 12 days, the most I've gotten in about three years and not too shabby for a Kansas-boy, no?
teleman
April 1, 2007
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
3 Alta
2 Snowbasin
2 Solitude
1 Snowshoe
4 Sunday River
2 Sugarloaf
2 Timberline
2 Whitegrass
10 Whitetail
1 Roundtop
1 Liberty
3 Massanutten

Total 33
Ullr
April 1, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Quote:

3 Alta
2 Snowbasin
2 Solitude
1 Snowshoe
4 Sunday River
2 Sugarloaf
2 Timberline
2 Whitegrass
10 Whitetail
1 Roundtop
1 Liberty
3 Massanutten

Total 33

Did you ski Sunday River and Sugarloaf during the same trip? If so, how far apart are they? I was thinking of doing a trip to hit both of these places. Where is the best place to stay? Any inside tips you cold give me????
bawalker
April 1, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Actually the warm rainy days were the only days I were able to go in Dec and Jan. Well the remaining part of Jan and Feb were a blur as I was at clients locations more than actually being here at home to plot out slope trips. Maybe next year I can better plan for snowboarding.
Buckeye Skier
April 1, 2007
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
2 Perfect North
1 7Springs
1 Stratton
1 Burke
1 Stowe
1 Sugarbush
tromano
April 1, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
35 for me.
bawalker
April 2, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I feel so ashamed. lol
Roy
April 2, 2007
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
16 days

Vail 1
Breckenridge 1
Keystone 2
Copper 1
A-Basin 1
Telluride 1
Durango (formerly Purgatory) 1
Wolf Creek 3
Wisp 2
7 Springs 3

I put the wrong amount in the survey. Oops.
Murphy
April 2, 2007
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

I feel so ashamed. lol

Don't feel too bad. I only had 7 and of those, 6 were just partial days. I did get my five-year-old out there for the first time so that's one step toward being able to get more days in.

Snowshoe - 5
Winterplace - 2
jimmy
April 2, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Forty dayz of freedom

26 Timberline
1 Snowshoe
3 Killington
1 Blue Knob
1 Oglebay
3 Seven Springs
1 Alta
2 Snowbasin
1 The Canyons
1 Snowbird
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
April 2, 2007
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Just 10 but not bad for a season that was only really MLK to Presidents day! And a bit off the beaten path

Iowa -1
Indiana - 4
Ohio - 2
Michigan - 1
Illionis - 1
Wisco - 1
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
April 2, 2007
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Opps make that 11 day! I forgot my trip out west to Missouri.
KevR
April 2, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
10 -- half here (WT/RT), the other half in Utah -- Cottonwoods, Sundance.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 2, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,344 posts

Places
Whitegrass
Timberline
Canaan
Whitetail
Massanutten
Burke Lake golf course (XC)
Wachusett
Mad River
Stowe
Smuggler's Notch
Sugarbush
Bolton Valley
Mammoth
Tamarack Trails (Mammoth Lakes XC)

To Come
Mt. Hood
Mt. Washington
Late snow skin 'n grin @ Timberline (???)
bawalker
April 2, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
What's sad for me is that I worked so much that this is the second year that I missed out on going to CV or TL for any boarding. Last year the same thing happened mainly because the guy I was going riding with, didn't like driving to TL so he always went to Wisp, thus I had to ride along. Next year I need to specifically plan starting in Oct with where I"m going, when to take off, making sure anything that comes up can wait till later, etc.
Clay
April 2, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Jimmy,
Glad you made it over 40!

Clay
April 2, 2007
928 posts
Quote:

Opps make that 11 day! I forgot my trip out west to Missouri.

and not many people can say "out west to missouri" in the context of skiing with a straight face

Hey Denis, don't forget that camera or extra batteries on your next trip, I want some vicarious thrills.
jimmy
April 2, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Quote:

Glad you made it over 40!

So are my wife, co-workers, family and friends . 44 for you, that should count as two or three years of skiing under ur belt. What a weird season this was, spring skiing followed by full on winter, powder days and the return of spring.
appskiah
April 2, 2007
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
88 posts
9 total. opening day at whitetail, closing day at 7springs

7 - Whitetail
1 - Canaan Valley
1 - Seven Springs

This year was the first time I didn't ski in my home state, North Carolina, for as long as I can remember. Tear.
I had one good powder day on President's Day at CV, despite their best attempts to groom the mountain flat.I tried tele-skiing for the first time this season, dropping the knees 3 times at Whitetail.

Goals for next season are: ski trip to Utah, skiing Blue Knob and Whitegrass, buying tele gear.

Everyone have a short summer!

Roy
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
bawalker, the reason that we go into business for ourselves is so we can take more time off skiing. Did you put that in your business plan?

My business is consulting for small businesses. Maybe we should meet. How about we plan for timberline next December for a business meeting (see how easy that is?)
bawalker
April 4, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Roy, Actually there were quite a few times where I didn't have any work going on and was able to get up and go. However this goes back to my previous post from last month where I was getting a bit burned out on going by myself. There were actually several days on like a Thurs or Fri that I got done work earlier in the week and was a bit free. Heck it even snowed one of the days... but I couldn't get a single person to go with me to TL or CV or Wisp. So I just... didn't feel like driving up by myself and hitting the slopes only to get bored after 2 hours or so of not having anyone to chit chat with.
Heck I'm up for a 'business meeting' at TL next winter. I can even classify it as a business expense and writeoff.

What type of business consulting do you do?
jimmy
April 4, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
twelve for me, maybe another ten if i counted days where i just happened to meet up with someone i knew. bawalker, a few years ago when i was abducted by aliens, i learned that it is very theraputic to have chit chat with ones self. also discovered that the aliens found that very disturbing and suspect the behavior facilitated my early return to earth. Most times when riding the chairlift i find someone to talk to besides myself, best not to talk to yourself in front of others, they just don't understand .
skier219
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Heck it even snowed one of the days... but I couldn't get a single person to go with me to TL or CV or Wisp. So I just... didn't feel like driving up by myself and hitting the slopes only to get bored after 2 hours or so of not having anyone to chit chat with.

I think you must be skiing with the wrong people! Or maybe you chatted too much on the lift and scared them off!

I ski alone about 90% of the time and like it, though I would prefer to ski with someone that has the same pace/interests. The reality is that many folks can't get away due to job/family constraints, so that leaves the rest of us bums skiing alone from time to time. But having met up with other skiers from DCski, I think there are plenty of opportunities to have company when skiing. We should all plan more meetups next year. I think it's a good way to get out more, especially for those of us with spouses/families/friends that might not be as obsessive about skiing.

I try to ski at least 1 day a week, or 2 if the snow is good.
ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
April 5, 2007
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts
Total so far: 16 days
Stowe-2
Whitetail-4
Steamboat-6
Liberty-1
TLine-3
Heading to Mammoth Saturday for my first try on California snow, hoping to add 6 more days. No Utah this year for the first time in a long time. Best day of the season? The Saturday tree pow at Tline on Snowy Luau! After that perfect day I finally felt at peace with a frustrating season.
SkiBoarder
April 5, 2007
Member since 05/22/2006 🔗
44 posts
7 weekends(15 times) skiing/riding at HV. No trips out west this year, hopefully next year.
SCWVA
April 6, 2007
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
19 Days for me. Most of them powder days.

6 - Tline, WV
5 - Okemo, VT
2 - Jay Peak, VT
1 - Mad River, VT
1 - Jiminy Peak, MA (First & last time)
2 - Wisp, MD
2 - Whitetail, PA

18 days between the end of Jan. and March 30.

Interesting Note:

I didn't ski Snowshoe for the first time in over 20yrs. We skied in Vermont instead. We're finding that VT. is less expensive, has bigger Mtns., and has better snow and is well worth the extra drive. Almost half of my (and my kids) ski days this season were spent in Vt.
Redman
April 6, 2007
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
106 posts
Thanks in part to the slow beginning in December and a crummy early January I only manged to get 40 days in this winter...4 at Tline and 36 at CV. However, those last 30 or so days provided some great pow pow conditions even for WV. 3-4 day weekends all winter is the way to go for the traveling rider. Can't wait to homestead up on the ridge in 2-3 years...that will cut my commute from 169 miles to about 12 miles. Scott...my new wheel is bad a$$!!! Until Jack Frost...Peace (:^O)>>>
skier219
April 6, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I want to work a VT trip or two in next year as well; it's been too long since I have been back and there are some great deals (that make Snowshoe seem like a ripoff). It will be tough because my wife and sister/brother-in-law don't get much time off, and they make up our ski group. That's where a 4.5hr drive to SS (or TL/CV) is easier to sell than a 12-hr drive to VT -- we can get 4 days skiing in WV over an extended weekend, but would need more time off to get 4 ski days in Vermont because of the longer drive. If it was up to me, we'd drive up on Sun, ski Mon-Fri, and drive home on Sat.

So I am curious about your note on Jiminy? I suppose you discovered it's a pretty small place, right?
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
April 6, 2007
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,041 posts
I skied a total of 6 days this year, 5 at 7S, 1 at BK. Conditions were very good with good powder or natural cover for 4 of those days. 6-12 days local is about my normal amount but I usually add 6-12 at VT or out west. As they say, no funds, no fun. My skiing budget will be consumed by a trip to wally world this month.
fishnski
April 6, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Keep hope alive! WV will have a serious big MTN open for Buis in a few years....1500'(whole mtn not just 2 runs) Tory or 2300' vert Mount porte crayon...more likley 2000' vert developed....Just say no to global warming
skier219
April 6, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
So have there been any news/rumors on MPC / Almost Heaven lately?
David
April 7, 2007
2,444 posts
Quote:

I want to work a VT trip or two in next year as well; it's been too long since I have been back and there are some great deals (that make Snowshoe seem like a ripoff). It will be tough because my wife and sister/brother-in-law don't get much time off, and they make up our ski group. That's where a 4.5hr drive to SS (or TL/CV) is easier to sell than a 12-hr drive to VT -- we can get 4 days skiing in WV over an extended weekend, but would need more time off to get 4 ski days in Vermont because of the longer drive. If it was up to me, we'd drive up on Sun, ski Mon-Fri, and drive home on Sat.

So I am curious about your note on Jiminy? I suppose you discovered it's a pretty small place, right?

If you were looking for someone to go and can work a VT trip in around college winter break I would say that I would probably be game. I am already itching for another trip up North...especially to some resorts with a REAL New England feel to them...not as much of a commercialized feel as Kmart gives....
skier219
April 7, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Sounds good man, in fact I bet we could get together a few people here for a trip like that. The later part of college winter break in January is a good time of year to go in a normal winter. I used to hang out with the ski-crowd in Waitsfield, right near Mad River Glen and Sugarbush (with Stowe about 40min away). That would be my pick location for a classic VT ski trip. There are some great trails at Sugarbush, and MRG is a must-visit if the snow is good (or if you don't mind skiing among rocks, sticks, etc).

Let's keep that in mind when next season rolls around.
SCWVA
April 7, 2007
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Quote:

.....So I am curious about your note on Jiminy? I suppose you discovered it's a pretty small place, right?

Skied Jiminy with the family on the way to VT. JP is the least family oriented ski area I've ever been to. Hmmmm..where to start.

1. Kids 6 & under don't ski free. $17 for the beginner lift or $41 for the whole mtn. I have a 3.5 and a 5.5 year old, so that cost me additional $58.

2. You have to walk up a steep snow covered ski slope to get to the beginner area. Imagine having just paid $17 for a lift ticket for your 3.5 yr old, you have to carry two sets of skis as well as a 3.5 yr old up a steep hill. What fun.

3. Probably 75% of the parking is satellite parking. Where a trailer is used to haul people back and forth. Very inconvenient for families.

4. I would bitch about the fact the mtn. was only 50% open and they were charging full rates, but I understand that.

5. By the end of the day, I was pretty much disgusted with my experience at JP. But wait, there's more. Someone stole my Wife's brand new 06/07 K2 Burnin Luv skis. The skis were seperated in two different racks and were only left alone for about five minutes. It was the skis first day on the snow. Talk about pouring salt on an open wound.

What a way to start a week vacation in VT. We left JP and drove to Okemo. The next morning I was awoken to my kids screaming it's Snowing!!! 3" of unexpected freshies. The gods were smiling on us.
David
April 7, 2007
2,444 posts
Quote:

Sounds good man, in fact I bet we could get together a few people here for a trip like that. The later part of college winter break in January is a good time of year to go in a normal winter. I used to hang out with the ski-crowd in Waitsfield, right near Mad River Glen and Sugarbush (with Stowe about 40min away). That would be my pick location for a classic VT ski trip. There are some great trails at Sugarbush, and MRG is a must-visit if the snow is good (or if you don't mind skiing among rocks, sticks, etc).

Let's keep that in mind when next season rolls around.

Mad River and Sugarbush are at the top of my New England resorts to ski. Stowe is right up there too. I think a trip to that area would be awesome. I just checked and classes start back on January 14th for me. I should be game to go anytime before that.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?