Skiing Where? Poll for March 22-25
20 posts
14 users
5k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 22, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Before venturing to any of the resorts listed in the poll, first call and make sure they will be open.
Have a great weekend skiing!
The Colonel
JohnL
March 22, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Going to the Western DC Ski gathering.
Roger Z
March 22, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Hey me too! What a coincidence...
crunchy
March 22, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Quote:

Going to the Western DC Ski gathering.

is anyone here headin to SLC also? btw.. looks like some potential load of freshies are on the way out there next week. (fingers crossed)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 22, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Where's Whitegrass? Thats where I'm going.
SkiBumMSP
March 22, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
I am hoping Liberty will still be opened for the weekend as that is where I am planning on going. If not that, I'll be going to Wintergreen, if I can find something nearby to stay as I don't want to drive back and forth between there and Fredericksburg, since I'd like to ski both Sat and Sunday. I just hope it is still more winter than green, with some decent conditions.

EDIT: Just found after farther reading that Liberty is friggan done after today! DAMN IT!!! I guess it'll be Wintergreen then, as I was hoping to stay relatviely close to Fredericksburg this weekend. Next weekend, I am still planning on going up to T-Line. I am thinking going back to Canaan Valley may actually be the best bet, Perhaps spend one day skiing Canaan and the other T-line.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Steve,
Liberty announced they are closing today.
The Colonel
Clay
March 23, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Steve,
Canaan's last weekend is this weekend. But T-Line will be open next weekend for their last weekend.

Clay
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 23, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
If the weather holds I think I am going to be at Canaan Valley tomorrow for the $10 lift tics with my son. Could swing by T-line around 430 or 5pm for a cold one if anyone wants to tailgate for a while?
kwillg6
March 23, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I'll be in the valley as well. If it's really a $10 lift at CV I might venture there in the am for some runs . I haven't skied there in a couple of years.
SkiBumMSP
March 23, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

Steve,
Canaan's last weekend is this weekend. But T-Line will be open next weekend for their last weekend.

Clay

Yeah, I know. That was why I was still debating if I wanted to go up there this weekend, especially with the $35/night rooms. Lift tickets are not an issue for me as I have no problem getting them for much less than even $10

The real question now is going to the the weather, with them calling for nasty thunderstorms and such pretty much all weekend. I'll play this one by ear - may end up getting up early in the morning tommorrow, check the weather and make my decision based on how things are going, either just go to Wintergreen for the day, or truck up to Canaan, even it is a good hour and half farther for me than Wintergreen.
KevR
March 23, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
BTW, is WISP open? The cams look horrible but i could find anything overly obvious on the website that's its open or not... it doesn't look like it is...

???
SkiBumMSP
March 23, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

BTW, is WISP open? The cams look horrible but i could find anything overly obvious on the website that's its open or not... it doesn't look like it is...

???

What what I understand, they are planning on to be opened. I think they are going to be opened through the 31st-1st (next) weekend. Of course, good idea to call them to be sure before making that trek up there.

For me, this weekend I decided to bag the skiing for Saturday, since the weather is supposed to be downright nasty (rain and thunderstorms pretty much all day). I am going to go down to Wintergreen on Sunday for the day of skiing (especially as it is supposed to be a gorgeous day with a high of 60 and sunny) and to see that mountain off for spring! Next weekend, I am still planing on coming up to T-line, and that will then be it for me until around December.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Quote:

???

KevR, I skied Wisp last night (Thursday 3/22). It had rained around 4-5 and drizzled some more around 8. The ripply surface was like skiing on a washboard. Use plenty of edge, though, and you'll be OK.

Some of the open trails showed thin spots but others (e.g., The Face) looked like they had more than three feet of packed base. Sorry they plan to close this weekend, but, hey, if nobody comes... .

Good luck,
Woody
Elrah
March 24, 2007
Member since 10/18/2005 🔗
29 posts
The real question now is going to the the weather, with them calling for nasty thunderstorms and such pretty much all weekend. I'll play this one by ear - may end up getting up early in the morning tommorrow, check the weather and make my decision based on how things are going,

That's the rub of it!! We're still at Snowshoe (LOVIN' this free wireless connection!) and so far every single day it's called for rain--it's either not shown up at all, or drizzled for a few minutes and then totally quit (and that was overnight) We've not had ANY rain during the day all week. There's plenty of melting--when we got here, there was snow all over the deck and we BARELY made it up the driveway--but by Tuesday that was almost all melted away. We've been skiing in short sleeves and having a ball.

One of my daughters brought friend who had been skiing twice in her life before this week--she was skiing like an old pro by the end of the week--skating across the flats in her underarmour shortsleeved shirt with gloves while sipping from a hydration pack--she was also linking turns on the steeps, and tucking clear to the bottom on the straight aways. It's been a blast getting to see her improve.

Our youngest decided she just wanted to stay on Skidder this year. We tried taking her down some greens...but she got a little scared. We traded off taking her down skidder over and over keeping it fun, short, and confidence building. I practiced turning with her--she started getting confident enough to experiment with her skis! (and this only made her fall once or twice) We haven't yet broken the news that Friday was our last ski day and we're just hanging out and goofing off Saturday and going home on Sunday. The last thing she said to me before heading on to bed was that she was going to ski ALL DAY!

Having accompanied our High School Youth group on a ski trip to Wisp the weekend before last, I can say that the conditions here at Snowshoe are at LEAST as good now as they were there then. Yes, there's slush and some pretty big bare spots especially at the top of Cupp Run (which I did for the first time this year) but that's to be expected at this time of year in this heat! I've been surprised at how well they're distributing and grooming what snow they've got--most trails are wide open and there's hardly anyone here. Our family has spent tons of time over on Yew Pine (probably becuase it seems the most similar to Silver Creek) and a couple of times down we WERE the only ones in sight for several minutes! If we had the money and the vacation time--we'd stay several more days!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 24, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Dang it. I'm up, partially packed and son ready too, but I'm going to wimp-out. NWS calling for dense fog and drizzle in AM, then thundershowers in PM on Sat. Flood watch all day. Canaan is a long way for 70% chance to get soaked. Elrah's interesting post doesn't make me feel any better about bailing. If you guys tell me later that today was nice - I'll be . This was probably my last chance for local skiing, have conflict tomorow. All not lost though, going west in Apr.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 24, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Quote:

Quote:

???

KevR, I skied Wisp last night (Thursday 3/22). ... {snip)

Some of the open trails showed thin spots but others (e.g., The Face) looked like they had more than three feet of packed base. Sorry they plan to close this weekend, but, hey, if nobody comes... .

Good luck,
Woody

My mistake. Wisp's closing date still appears to be April 1.
RodSmith
March 24, 2007
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
I'm hitting Roundtop tomorrow noon to closing.
KevR
March 24, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
We skied it today from roughly the same time -- it was a heck of a lot of fun even though conditions were pretty uneven frankly....

I'd like to think it will be NICER tomorrow with a little sunshine.

We go again if we were able to ... alas it's not in the cards!

Thanks Roundtop for keepin' it going!!!
skier219
March 24, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Elrah, thanks for the report -- glad to hear you had a good week.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.