Whitetail to close after this Sunday...
14 posts
5 users
5k+ views
KevR
March 16, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Just got the official looking flyer in my inbox... I figure the other Snowtime Incs to follow close behind... SO assuming its not spam:

Ski while ya can this weekend then -- a shot of fresh snow will certainly help!
KevR
March 16, 2007
786 posts
Just an update, checking the websites -- its looks like WT, Liberty and Roundtop are all closing late on Sunday...

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

(that is ski this weekend if the opportunity presents itself for you!)
KevR
March 16, 2007
786 posts
Is anyone ACTUALLY SKIING TODAY?

I was just checkin' out the WT cams and they are showing a nice pic on the main page of ruler with snow approaching 6 inch... fresh snow! 6" inch eh?

Why are you reading this? Heck I might be stuck in the office, but why are you?

Checking out the roundtop cams and the whitetail cams -- i SEE NO ONE AT ALL on the slopes...

JUST EMPTY...

Disgusting I say!

GO SKI!
kennedy
March 16, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
The nice thing in a way about this weekend is that it will be super quiet. After the rain here in the DC metro area do you think there'll be a slew of people racing for the mountain, I think not.
KevR
March 16, 2007
786 posts
I see some what looks like tracks from WT cams and few (very few!) folks on the slopes.

Roundtop remains very empty however... at least from the web cams.
chuckie
March 16, 2007
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
Quote:

Just an update, checking the websites -- its looks like WT, Liberty and Roundtop are all closing late on Sunday...

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

(that is ski this weekend if the opportunity presents itself for you!)

CR@P! Most disappointing, I heard rumour ROUNDTOP might hold on till APRIL.

Glad I hit WT on WED when I had the chance.

Pretty sad.
KevR
March 16, 2007
786 posts
Look its pouring fresh snow on their slopes for what -- the 2nd or maybe 3rd time this entire winter...?

AND NO ONE IS EVEN THERE?

Heck, you can't blame them -- if no one shows up, no reason to be open as I see it.

We're a fickle bunch in DC...
chuckie
March 16, 2007
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
Quote:

Look its pouring fresh snow on their slopes for what -- the 2nd or maybe 3rd time this entire winter...?

AND NO ONE IS EVEN THERE?

Heck, you can't blame them -- if no one shows up, no reason to be open as I see it.

We're a fickle bunch in DC...

I'm not gonna lie, I'm the first to blow off work and hit the hill on a BLUEBIRD day, but am less motivated when it's cold and blowing out. Maybe it would help if the skiers became snowboarders late in the season? I have heard it sucks to ski in slush, can't say the same for the wide single plank.
KevR
March 16, 2007
786 posts
I don't know that its SLUSHY but it might be a bit heavy.

I do think 'boards have a little upside on variable terrain, just a single stick to deal with ... easier, less technique than two sticks...

But either SHOULD WORK FINE!

Gotta go, gotta find my wax...
therusty
March 17, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Well folks - today was a bluebird day at Whitetail. Soft snow, no lines, a little sunshine, a stray snow flake here and there and no slush! The bumps got a little scraped off in the ruts, but they were definitely skiable all day and a real joy in the morning. And tomorrow looks to be just plain gorgeous. Come on up and say hi to Rusty!
KevR
March 18, 2007
786 posts
Yeah, we hit roundtop briefly on Sat for a few hrs -- and it was really impressive. They said they had 8" and I believe it -- and the snow was really nice snow, soft, and fairly light. Very nice stuff.

The runs over off Gunbarrel area had nice "blue-black" moguls on them -- although gunbarrel itself was a virtually ice-cliff by the time we got there. STILL many were venturing down it!

The top of the main mid run was scraped off but that's ok -- not my thing anyway.

The snow was packed in quite nicely for easier side of the mountain.

perhaps my fave was lafeyette's or whatever it is called that winds its way down from the top and pops out near Fife & Drum (I think)...

largely ungroomed and nice soft snow, but a little scraped off in a few places ...

Fun stuff...

What a way to end the season really... what luck!
kennedy
March 18, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Hey Rusty, swung by the ski school today but I think you were out with a scout group. Oh well maybe next season. Whitetails final day was super strong. The snow was really nice and soft, almost creamy feeling. All the runs were in excellent shape. The park was awesome. My buddies finally found their jumping legs, wouldn't you know it's the end of the season. Personally I was launching all day. Nothing fancy, just big straight airs. So much fun. A strong end to my season. I have so much happening in the next 3 or 4 weeks it's very doubtful I'll make it out again. To all of those of you who are still going to get some runs in, enjoy.
SpringsRegular
March 18, 2007
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
Seven Springs plans on skiing through Easter weekend. Come on up and join us! I got word today that they will continue to make snow as long as they have the temps. The Nuttings are stepping up!
kennedy
March 19, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
It's not a matter of not wanting to ride it's a matter of time. Every weekend has something happening for the next 3 weeks that unfortunately means i can't go riding.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?