Timberline 3/15 and some weekend advice
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Clay
March 16, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I managed to get a few runs in today before heading back to gather my son up for our weekly trip. He had school this week, and while I had work, his school wouldn't let him do it from Davis like my work would

While the heavy rain overnight did not seem to do significant damage, it did seem to make the top of the mountain harder (more firm) if that is possible. It was pretty darn icy up there That leads me to my advice for the weekend - even if TLine gets the snow that we're all hoping for I would strongly suggest you sharpen your edges before you come. I think even with grooming the surface underneath whatever we get is going to be very, very hard. Some might even use the 'i' word

How was the skiing today? Well, it was fine, but it helped to know the mountain

Top of Upper White Lightning

Bottom of Upper White Lightning (looking up)

Hope to meet a few of you at T-Line this weekend. In the cold I'm in black and black, with black gloves and Blue RX-6s with grayish blue boots. I will be at the top for the 10:30 meeting and if my legs hold up, will try to get up there at 2:30 as well.

Clay
SCWVA
March 16, 2007
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Hey Clay,

Any bumps on OTW or The Drop?

How's the snow holding up in the woods? With some few inches of snow will it be skiable?

They're calling for 5-10" today. Wonder how much we're gonna get? Powder day or dust on crust?
kwillg6
March 16, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Watching the weather close....looks like a wet pow dump of significant proportions. Wouldn't be surprised to see 6+ at the base with 12+ on the summit. Actually, the sking should be great regardless. The reason they didn't groom was to save the snow. They should begin grooming today and by tomorrow, with the fresh, it should be another epic weekend.
Clay
March 16, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
SCWVA - I didn't make it over to OTW and the Drop, I figured it would just be too icy. Sorry. The trees are looking a little thin, but I think with 3 or more inches you can definately get in there. Might be rock ski time though.

KWillig - I agree on the grooming and I think they did the right thing. Everything seemed to be 'protected' by a hard shell - not the best skiing (but not terrible) but it really seemed to hold the cold in. Corral at the top of the mountain @ 55 degrees.

Clay
skier219
March 16, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Seems like it will be primarily heavy wet snow this time around, but that will still be a major improvement over the wet granular and frozen granular we'd otherwise have this weekend. For once I won't complain if it's heavy wet snow! Once groomed, it ought to be great.
tempfishnski
March 16, 2007
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
66 posts
Saturdays wraparound/upslope won't be wet..just wild
skier219
March 17, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
You got that right -- the snow that has been falling and continues to fall at SS has been quite dry and light. The wind (and skier traffic) are packing it pretty good though.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?