anyone hittin the valley this week?
20 posts
9 users
4k+ views
crunchy
March 5, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
I couldnt get enough this past weekend, and it looks like more freshness is comin', so im headin back to the valley tues/wed and takin advantage of that $35 rate and awesome conditions cause who knows when it will end, so I gotta get it while the gettin is good!

I only wish I could ski as good as I am at getting vacation days approved at work at last minute notice :P

Anyone else gonna be up there, lets hook up and do a few runs!
fishnski
March 5, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Just returned your pm Crunch..Just wondering if it wouldn't be faster for you to get to the Valley on the northern route instead of thru Harman.Don't Know where you are starting from.
crunchy
March 5, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
im comin down 66, so the RT55 route is awesome, and there is a 25mile stretch of corridor-H open Driving past Seneca rocks is sweet also.

now the only pressing question is which place to ski which day! Ive only skied Timberline, so I wanna hit Canaan one day, plus im stayin there
fishnski
March 5, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Thats the way I come in too & it is thru the heart of the Alpps but most people will head up 42 to Scherr after they leave the H2..Might be 10 or 15 minutes faster...Luv the enthusiasum..nice to see someone else has discovered the Western Front & the Crown Jewel in CV!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Clay
March 5, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Actually, my father lives in Petersburg and while we were running back and forth fixing up the condo this summer I made him time both ways (42/93/32 vs. 55/33/32). 42 is actually about 10 minutes longer. I know, it doesn't seem like it, but time it some time - we timed it twice. I think it feels shorter because you get that "I'm here" feeling when you hit Davis, but you've actually got about 15 minutes to go.

Clay
skier219
March 5, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I am thinking about going up, but it depends on what the clipper storm is going to do. I will wait to see the final storm calls tomorrow morning.

I guess I would head up Tuesday night to be "in position" for Wednesday morning, although if it snows all day Wednesday, I might wait a day and ski on Thurs instead (35F and mostly sunny sounds nice the day after snow!).

Still watching the weather closely at this point. If the storm is a dud I'll just do a normal Wintergreen day trip on Thursday.

So which resort would be better if the clipper comes through with decent snow? I haven't been to TL or CV yet.

Craig
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter
March 5, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
699 posts
I've decided to head over to the Valley tomorrow (Tuesday), the only day I can sneak away this week. Sorry I'll miss you, Craig. Crunchy, I'll be wearing a green hat and dull red jacket with green sleeves...hope to see you there!

Still not sure whether it'll be TL or CV. Will all those NW-facing meadows at CV, will it get slammed harder by those winds than the trails at TL?

Everybody drive safely,
Woody
crunchy
March 6, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
the forecast doesnt look to windy after this morning. not sure about canaan but I know TLine gets windy as hell at the very top of the mountain, but usually only at the very top its noticeable even if their are high winds.

skier219, i was just thinking the same thing about wed/thurs being better than tues/wed cause wed looks like a big snow day, then nice thurs, but Im already headin out the door. This is the weather advisory for the area tho, so who knows, maybe i'll have to tell work im snowed in and cant make it home in time for work thurs

"A FAST MOVING STORM SYSTEM WILL BRING SNOW TO THE REGION LATE TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. 4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW MAY ACCUMULATE BEFORE THE SNOW DIMINISHES BY EVENING."
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 6, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,923 posts
If it is snowing or blowing drifting snow, the Harman route is better--it's lower in elevation than 93 through Mount Storm and the road is generally better protected (except in a few places) from wind and blowing snowing.
fishnski
March 6, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Sorry for the mis info there capn...I had never taken the 42 route I just took what I read on DCSki as gospel...thanks for clearing that up Clay.(I was always suspicious) If this clipper is anything like the last few that rolled in you can bet on that 8 inch figure! My work is getting slammed right now & I can't take off I got to go...I'm getting sick thinking about how great it will be up there wed/thur
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter
March 6, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
699 posts
Agree that Weds. and esp. Thurs. look better than today (Tuesday)for Valley conditions. Think I'll tackle Liberty today and try for CV/TL later in the month.

Woody
Clay
March 6, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I am jealous of you all I am planning on taking a week alone up there, but the way it worked out it will be NEXT week. Highs in the 50s. Oh well, make some great turns for me!

Clay
kwillg6
March 6, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,030 posts
Crunchy, I'd take in CV if it's a big pow-pow day. I've skied untracked there all day, even on weekends. Head to dark side, paradice, and meadows 3 for the best. Come to think of it, it was a March storm when I last had face shots of pow there. T-line is good as well, but you have to hit the glades and off piste to get the best pow-pow and there are more pigs there who roam the woods on those days so untracked is very hard to find by noon.
skier219
March 6, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
OK, I am headed up tonight and plan to ski Wednesday and Thursday. Will be staying at the CV lodge. Probably ski CV on Wednesday and TL on Thursday. Will bring my laptop up, so if anyone wants to plan a meetup post here or PM me.

The clipper will probably bring a min of 4" and no more than 8-10", but there is always the possibility of more with this kind of storm. The snow will be very dry, with snow:water ratios of 15-18, so a little moisture will go a long way.

If the snow gets over 6-8", I will need to ski alone for the morning to hide the tears in my goggles , but would be glad to meetup with any of you folks for afternoon runs. I'll be out there in a blue North Face Jacket, and either white/gray K2 Public Enemy skis or green Elan Mag 12 skis (normally have a blue helmet on too, unless it's snowing so hard I need to put the hood up).

Time to rock early March!

Craig
David
March 6, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
PM sent
crunchy
March 6, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
thats 3 of us in the lodge. just one more and we can get a good game of foosball goin. i spied a tornado foos table in the game room. i might hit the lounge later. ill be the hippy thats disguised as a yuppy.

tline conditions:
i got here a day early for more hero snow the weather was great tho, clear and sunny, and Tline was sportin the courdroy . nice packed powder surface for the most part, while there was still alot of powder off-piste, it seemed like it was like dry, dense, settled powder (if that makes sense), kinda stiff if was still untouched, but not granular at all cause the temps have not hit near freezing since the weekend. a little tougher to ski than the freshies, but most of the day i decided to try and work on good carving on the wide open groomed packed powder runs.

looks like some snow clouds rollin in finally tho, so hopefully tommorrow will rival the past weekends conditions!
pagamony - DCSki Supporter
March 6, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
838 posts
you guys are killing me - i hope the snow is so deep the lifts can't run someone better take a bunch of good pics. This is what it looked like back in January when it was just starting to snow and only a few slopes were open - *sigh*.
fishnski
March 6, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
BRRGHRRRRARFFFFFFF,,UGHHH..BBAAARRRFFFFFFFFFF...I'm Sick...I Can't Take this Anymore...Good Nite..PS.I'll be up there posting on the March blizzard of the decade later on in a week or three...My Day will come..Ha.Ha HAHAHAHA
crunchy
March 6, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
pagamony, that thunderdraft, and it its all bumped up now. this is how the ungroomed stuff was today.

skier219
March 6, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Just got settled in at the lodge (Raven) at 10pm and am headed for bed. Still clear out, but the weather forecasts look good for 3-6" tomorrow, with locally higher amounts possible. Radar shows the clipper bearing down on the region and it looks like it means business.

I'll be at CV in the morning!

Craig
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.

Join the conversation by logging in.

Don't have an account? Create one here.

0.14 seconds