7 Springs...
57 posts
21 users
22k+ views
SpringsRegular
December 20, 2006
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
Weatherbug.com is currently showing 44 at the summit. I guess there is an inversion going on as accuweather is showing 29 in Latrobe. Looks like little or no snow making tonight. It is going to be a rough holiday week unless the jet stream drops. I will sacrifice a set of old bandits to make it happen..
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 21, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Just looked at the weather and things are going to cool down fast, beginning Saturday evening. Sunday and especially Monday at the Springs should be pretty good, given 7s's amazing capacity to make snow in a hurry.
wolverine
December 22, 2006
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
Guess things are so bad at the Springs they are using "live" webcam images from yesterday! Things getting worse everyday?

Maybe webcams from last Christmas would make it look even better..
SpringsRegular
December 23, 2006
153 posts
Actually it was not too bad...I skied all day today.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
SpringsRegular
December 24, 2006
153 posts
tromano
December 24, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Snow hasnt been bad for the past week or so... But! Coverage has been constantly shrinking, bare spots growing, bases getting dirty, etc...
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 24, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Good going. While the rest are pi$$ing & moaning you guys are skiing. Love the colors in that shot of Ray and Tromano above base lodge, of course all white would be even better.
hockeydave
December 27, 2006
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Just checked the 7S webcam... looks like a heard of cattle @ feeding time at the bottom of the 6 person chair. Squeezing all of those people on the front side of the mountain should make for a very busy day for the ski patrol, but I hope that's not the case.

Based on the weather report for the next couple of days, it will be interesting to see if they can keep the front side open thru Jan 1. I know they'll do their best.

I'm starting to wonder if we really are going to see any extended cold spell this winter. I think we should all THINK COLD because thinking snow just ain't working.
bawalker
December 27, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Wisp is no different on their backside quad. I looked at that picture and it was like looking at the mall cash registers on Black Friday. Insane.
jimmy
December 27, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

I'm starting to wonder if we really are going to see any extended cold spell this winter. I think we should all THINK COLD because thinking snow just ain't working.

hockeydave,

i think you are right it's time to change tactics ; i'm stopping on my way home tonite to buy six cases of summer beer, 250# of fertilizer and a new blade for my lawnmower. Before dinner i will tromano the bier and after dinner i will drink it, clean my golf clubs, put new line on my fishin poles and dig my shorts out of storage then if i get all that done i think i'll take a nap under the maple tree, maybe take tomorrow off work to go fishing or maybe water skiing if my bud with the boat doesn't have to work.

Pissin' & moanin' since december 1

cinserely yours
Redman
December 27, 2006
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
106 posts
Jimmy,
You gotta loose the funk man! At least T-line has WL to the top. I have to slide middie down this weekend at Canaan 'cause the regular rates take over at T-line. Besides, its New Years and I can't wait to watch the fights in Timbers Pub around 11:30! Just make sure you are off the entry road before the state boy from Parsons shows up! Hehehe! (:^O)>>>
wgo
December 27, 2006
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Quote:

Jimmy,
At least T-line has WL to the top.

Yeah. And as of 12/23, it was in pretty good shape!
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 27, 2006
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I just got back from skiing 7S with my son and a friend of mine. The place was empty until about 10:30 then the 6 got crowded and stayed that way. The Wagner Quad was moving along well, most of the crowd was waiting on the magic carpet. Wagner was dirty and crunchy in spots but softened later. The best snow was on Tyrol and there were still bumps in the trees on the skiers right. I didn't ski Stowe, access was blocked from the Wag. quad and snow guns blowing from the Tyrol triple. The skiing was OK considering the rain we've had. Twenty-five bucks for the kid's ticket bought him all the challenge he needed.
Tucker
December 27, 2006
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Quote:

Jimmy,
Besides, its New Years and I can't wait to watch the fights in Timbers Pub around 11:30! (:^O)>>>

...yeah you can spend all day dodging the pickers and all night duckin the punches...it's actually a really good way to improve your reflexes...dodge'n'duck...dodge'n'duck...
jimmy
December 27, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Redman, Tucker we've been to timbers for New Years, wonder what the tourists think of that ?

Sooo?? just to bring us back on topic a bit what's new years eve in the Foggy Goggle all about?
Seymour
December 28, 2006
Member since 12/28/2006 🔗
4 posts
7 Springs has not activated their tower snow guns in weeks! Wisp and Snowshoe are pumping out the liquid, but the Springs is waiting for temsp below 15 degree. The Nuttings need to give management the go-ahead to make snow at higher temps if they plan to open all the slopes this year. Let's hope they don't manage the resort like they manage the Pirates. Paying customers want to ski this year!
wgo
December 28, 2006
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Quote:

Let's hope they don't manage the resort like they manage the Pirates.

Ouch, that hurts! And I say that as a Cubs fan!
SCWVA
December 28, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Quote:

Jimmy,
Besides, its New Years and I can't wait to watch the fights in Timbers Pub around 11:30! Hehehe! (:^O)>>>

What the Boy Scouts getting out of control again?
hockeydave
December 28, 2006
780 posts
Quote:

The Nuttings need to give management the go-ahead to make snow at higher temps if they plan to open all the slopes this year. Let's hope they don't manage the resort like they manage the Pirates. Paying customers want to ski this year!

As an occasional 7S basher w.r.t. their handling of Laurel Mountain, I will give them tremendous credit in getting opened on Dec 8th and remaining so during these balmy conditions. Also, they are still charging $28, when in fact, they could be charging the full rate if they so chose. And by all accounts posted here so far, it sounds like the skiing is fairly good on the front side.

I would sure hope the Nuttings defer to the wealth of experience on the 7S management team as to when to fire the HKDs and not make that decision on their own. The Nuttings may even want to defer to the 7S management team as when to fire Dave Littlefield (Pirates GM).

Just curious... has there ever been a year when 7S hasn't opened North Face, and if there hasn't been a year, when was the latest the North Face was opened?
Seymour
December 28, 2006
4 posts
I don't know the historical "latest opening date" for North Face. I agree, 7 Springs is usually on top of snowmaking efforts. What other mountain can open all of their terrain in a matter of days? This year, though, they have past up numerous opportunities to make snow (Dec 19-20, Dec 27-28). From a financial standpoint, it doesn't make sense - think of all the reservations being canceled over the holiday week.
December 28, 2006
2,038 posts
Read my post, 7S was making snow all day yesterday albeit in high use areas at the top of the hill probably because of the cooler temps at the summit.

Seymour, where do you get that 15 degree figure? HKD snow guns are among the most efficient in the business so much so they stopped adding snomax to their water.

Hey, bash 7S for any number of things but let's keep to the facts. Having said that, wouldn't a snow covered and widened Innsbruck be so much more fun for beginners than Fawn or Phillips? Perhaps it was good the Laurel didn't open this year given this mild weather. The last thing Laurel needs is another crappy season and yet another failed opening.

I still believe there is a future for Laurel and although nothing new to report, there are a few working behind the scenes. Whatever happens needs to be done in a careful, efficient manner. I think there is only one shot left.
December 28, 2006
2,038 posts
Quote:

Just curious... has there ever been a year when 7S hasn't opened North Face, and if there hasn't been a year, when was the latest the North Face was opened?

I don't know if there ever was a year that North Face hasn't been opened but it was open (1/3 width) the first full week of operation right after opening weekend this season.
RobertW
December 28, 2006
199 posts
Quote:

When the North Face first was developed (ca. 1972 or so), it had no snowmaking. I can remember many years that I did not see it open. It wasn't until snowmaking was added (early 80's ??) that you could ski back there with any regularity. It was open for a few days after the opening weekend (we skied it and it was limited but very nice) until the grass encroached. This is the first time in recent memory that it has not been open for the big holiday week.

(BTW, it the years I have had a season pass (since 85'-86'), The North Face has always opened at worst by early January)
tromano
December 28, 2006
998 posts
Tromano the bier? I have become a verb! That is just sooo awesome.
SpringsRegular
December 29, 2006
153 posts
Quote:

I don't know the historical "latest opening date" for North Face. I agree, 7 Springs is usually on top of snowmaking efforts. What other mountain can open all of their terrain in a matter of days? This year, though, they have past up numerous opportunities to make snow (Dec 19-20, Dec 27-28). From a financial standpoint, it doesn't make sense - think of all the reservations being canceled over the holiday week.

Seymor you need to get your fact straight. I was there the last 2 nights. Temps NEVER dipped below 29 at the summit and 32 at the base. You can get accurate summit conditions from the weather station at the top of Wagner. Go to www.weatherbug.com and type in 15622 for the zip code.

I have it on very good authority that the Nuttings have been nothing but supportive in the snowmaking arena. It is mother nature that is holding them back. Wednesday night they had every gun ready and primed but the temps just did not cooperate. They had 2 HKD's going on the top and they were just dropping water. I know, I had to ski thru them. They had every ground gun going on Weds night. Last night the temps were not there again. Perhaps tonight.

If you want anymore information contact me via PM and I will take you to talk to the people in charge.
RobertW
December 29, 2006
199 posts
FWIW (I have no "inside" info like SpringsReg ) but SpringsRegular is absolutely right. Keep your eye on the WeatherBug site (Especially the humidity). There has been no sustained snowmaking temps since the first week of December. Do you seriously think that the Nuttings' would give up the best week of the season (financial wise) because they were too cheap to make snow every possible second they could?

Some good news...some of the extended forecasts show a return to real winter weather at least for a few days come January 12-13. It also looks like they could get a few good nights of snowmaking next weekend. Keep the ski tips crossed. In the meantime, I'll enjoy what's there...I just pretend it's April
hockeydave
December 30, 2006
780 posts
I live approximately 20 miles northwest of 7S at an elevation of 1100 ft. It is currently 22 degrees @ 7:15 AM.

This quote is taken directly from 7S snow report.
"It is currently 29 degrees at Ski Patrol Base and 35 degrees at the top of Wagner with clear skies."

It seems to me that the biggest enemy for 7S during this unseasonal weather is temperature inversion.
SpringsRegular
December 30, 2006
153 posts
Current weather from weatherbug:

Hi: 43°F
Lo: 35°F
Rain: 0.00"
Gust: W 9
Seymour
January 3, 2007
4 posts
The Springs has the ground guns going tonight. Hooray. I'll I'm saying is that when my folks had a condo at Snowshoe (Treetop 1978-1997) they made snow at 32 degrees regardless. Granted the resort went through 2 or 3 bankruptcies, but they made snow any time they could in tough years. 7 Springs has the best snow system around, but they still wait until low humidity and temps below 25 degrees for at least 8 hours. What happen to the days when they used the funky bacteria at 36 degrees? I'm itchin' to ski the backside soon!
tromano
January 3, 2007
998 posts
Its been too warm and too humid. 7S is the highest point on that ridge 2990'. With all the temperature inversion the top of 7S never gets very cold.
SpringsRegular
January 4, 2007
153 posts
They may not have snow making but they got trucks!

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07004/751283-100.stm
hockeydave
January 4, 2007
780 posts
It will be quite a feat if they can keep just 1 top to bottom run open, given the warm temperatures and expected substantial rain through Saturday.
tromano
January 4, 2007
998 posts
Quote:

Wow they are crazy. And I love it!
Clay
January 4, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
What a great gesture. I guess that answers the question as to whether the Nuttings are serious about taking care of their skiers!

Clay
January 4, 2007
2,038 posts
I may have complaints about 7S and the plight of Alpine Meadows Glades. I'll always wish there were some really steep terrain but I'll never accuse them of being second rate or disinterested. Of the many resorts I've visited across the country 7S is among the best when it comes to costumer service. From snowmaking, snow sports school and children programs, lift attendants, food service, right on down to the tissue in the lift corral, 7S is hard to beat. Trucking snow to the top of the hill should put to rest any doubt that the Nuttings don't care or won't listen to 7S's first rate management and employees.
RobertW
January 5, 2007
199 posts
Quote:

This is why I spend my season pass money there. If there is any possibility that an area will be open with the best conditions possible from November to April in the Mid-Atlantic, it will be these guys. The steeps and glades at other areas may be better, but they are worthless if they are brown or closed.
hockeydave
January 5, 2007
780 posts
I applaud 7S for attempting to keep some slopes open during these horrible conditions, but in my opinion, the money spent to rent the trucks & time utilized to haul the snow is wasted. Only the real die-hards would even consider skiing in these conditions. This might be some good PR for 7S, but I don't think anybody in their right mind would see this news story and decide to go skiing. It sort of reminds me when the Nutting's spent $4 million a year on Derek Bell... money down the drain. This money spent could have been put towards a new high speed chair on North Face or Gunnar, which is way more necessary than keeping 1 or 2 slopes open for the tens of skiers they'll entertain this weekend.
Clay
January 5, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I disagree. While all you said may be true, I think the gesture to their hard-core base is invaluable. I believe the article said it cost "over $10,000" or something about that. For someone with a lot of money (Nutting) that's a token gesture and that is certainly not going to fund a lift. I have only skied 7 Springs once, but we throughly enjoyed it.

Clay
RobertW
January 5, 2007
199 posts
Quote:

....Only the real die-hards would even consider skiing in these conditions.

The effort they put in for us die-hards is the whole point. Why not just operate Christmas to the end of February when the masses are there and then shutter the place. The money spent does not affect any long-term investment like a new chair and keeps me (and my season pass dollars) coming back good year or bad year. How would you feel if you had sent your $400 to Hidden Valley or Blue Knob this year? They likely won't be open again till the end of January. I am so happy with these efforts that I might even buy an overpriced beer or two at the 'Goggle the next time I am there, even though I don't drink!
hockeydave
January 5, 2007
780 posts
Whether or not 7S made this attempt to keep some slopes open would not have altered my view of them and probably wouldn't have altered anyone else's view either (I accept that there always will be an exception or two). Just take a peek outside... I wouldn't blame any resort (e.g. HV, BK) for closing until the weather improves. 7S has a proven track record of offering a top notch resort and are always recognized as being one of the best four season destinations in the East.

Just to clarify, I did say in my previous post that the $10K could have been used towards the purchase of a chair lift, not for the entire purchase.
tromano
January 5, 2007
998 posts
Quote:

I applaud 7S for attempting to keep some slopes open during these horrible conditions, but in my opinion, the money spent to rent the trucks & time utilized to haul the snow is wasted. Only the real die-hards would even consider skiing in these conditions. This might be some good PR for 7S, but I don't think anybody in their right mind would see this news story and decide to go skiing. It sort of reminds me when the Nutting's spent $4 million a year on Derek Bell... money down the drain. This money spent could have been put towards a new high speed chair on North Face or Gunnar, which is way more necessary than keeping 1 or 2 slopes open for the tens of skiers they'll entertain this weekend.

7S already has a 6 pack chair out front of their ticket office with a sign that says they ware installing a HS 6 pack on Gunnar next season. I guess they got that one covered. Feel free to go play in the mud if you want to. I prefer snow. Thank you to 7S management. You guys rock!!!
hockeydave
January 5, 2007
780 posts
I was up there last Saturday and didn't notice the posting... thanks for the update. If this crappy weather continues, I wonder if it will affect any improvement plans.
SpringsRegular
January 5, 2007
153 posts
I know for a fact that the steel for this lift is already purchased. This lift is a definite GO!!!
hockeydave
January 9, 2007
780 posts
Just curious, given optimal snowmaking conditions, what percentage of the HKDs located on the front side and back can be turned on at once?
SpringsRegular
January 9, 2007
153 posts
I just got this information over the weekend, unfortunately it is at home and I am here. I "think" it is somewhere near 70%. I will check when I get home.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2007
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Based on the webcam view, I do not see any snow making on the Norht Face. Have they given up opening the North Face? Are they waiting untill the real cold weather arrives next week? I only see front face snow making. It could be very crowded this holiday weekend on the front face!
Taylormatt
January 10, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Look again. They were on all last night top to bottom and the majority of today. The top guns were still on when I left at 2:30.

Oh, and all the nay-sayers missed a BOMB day today. Endless velvet with spectacular coverage.
January 10, 2007
2,038 posts
Oh yee of little faith! Hey Matt some of us have to work non-skiing jobs for a living. My daughter wants to know if you guys will be open for night skiing tomorrow. Last week's school ski club outing was cancelled. Hopefully they'll reschedule another day. Will North Face be ready soon?
Taylormatt
January 10, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
We start night skiing tomorrow until 10 and are expected to remain open the rest of the season on regular night hours from here on out. I didn't get to see Dick Barron today to confirm, but my guess is they open NF tomorrow along with Avalanche and possibly Alpine Pass since the guns were firing full tilt on all three last night and today. The #1 priority is getting what had some snow left back up and running through this weekend and the forecasted warm temps. NF only had a few minute patches left, so it needs far more cover to re-open. Next week when Winter returns, look for everything to start opening.
SpringsRegular
January 10, 2007
153 posts
Also remember that the the lower portion of the n face is at a lower elevation than the front side. Also the guns down there are gravity fed and require colder temps to make snow than the ones that are not. That said it is only 22 at the top with 73% humidity. I would anticipate another all out blizzard tonight. Perhaps they will back off of the tubing area as it seems to have plenty of snow. I cannot wait to see how much the new improved guns on alpine can churn out a really cold temps.
Taylormatt
January 10, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Yep, the sun came out and the temps warmed up enough that the lower section of the NF was likely blowing water, so they shut them off until later tonight.

The new 90gpm guns are sick. You realized exactly how much they put out when they started trucking that snow last week.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Pardon my age showing, but I assume that "Sick" means unbelievably great!?
The Colonel
fishnski
January 10, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Well,they are regurgitating snow!
Taylormatt
January 10, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Yes aged one
JCHobbes
January 10, 2007
Member since 09/12/2005 🔗
94 posts
SpringsRegular, could you PM me with your patrol schedule for this weekend? I'm going to try and make it up Friday night, and will definately head up on Saturday, and I'd love to meet you and ski with you.
SpringsRegular
January 13, 2007
153 posts
Just a quick rant on the darn rain. Looks like the N Face will not make it thru the day.
SpringsRegular
January 13, 2007
153 posts
so.... Seven Springs has a new site up. Check it out

www.7springs.com

Also it looks like NF will not be open tomorrow.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?