snowshoe has top to bottom
23 posts
13 users
7k+ views
rmcva
November 24, 2006
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Short msg since I'm using bb. SS has one top to bottom run with 3 lifts. Better than expected but lots of people on trails. Two more trails almost ready if they get some cold temps. Temp today at 1pm was 53.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 24, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Thanks for the update!!!! That's what we all want: real time intel.

Nervous about this warm-up, but hoping it will fade fast.

skier219
November 24, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
When you get a chance, I would be curious to know what trail makes up the middle of the top to bottom run. They seem to have messed up the trail report since opening. I assume it's part of powder ridge and/or powder monkey. Thanks.
rmcva
November 24, 2006
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
I think the trail name is powder monkey. From shavers go left thru sharp switchchback. Its not spruce park. Trail also has couple rails same as last year. Hope this helps.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Snowmakers
November 24, 2006
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Right here.

What I put in white is what was open.
fishnski
November 25, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Yep, thats what i skied for 2 days.They Fumbled the Ball..They had almost a top to bottom run down off of the Grabhammer lift that 3/4 of the way down had a thin area so they didn't open it. Did a Snowgun break down there? If it did was somebody to lazy to replace it? Did they Figure that they had 1 more nite to blow snow but then The Coastal storm threw a monkey in their wrench? Either way they FUMBLED! I Cked out a day early & they refunded $192 off my PKG so we parted friends. We stayed at the Inn At Snowshoe(at the bottom of the mtn) because it was pet friendly. What a trip inversion is!! The last 2 mornings I had to scrape heavy ice off of the windshield but it was in the mid 40's at the summit. They blew snow at the Bottom but the thin spot that i spoke of must have been to far up & too warm. Looked for you Ibotta..I wanted to forgive you in person...Long Live the West Va Alps!!....71 degrees pulling in to Wilmington this Aft..Spruce trees to palm trees in 7 hours & 39 Min...Sweet!
skier219
November 25, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Right here.

What I put in white is what was open.

Thanks for the details -- so it looks like they are using a substantial section of the Powderidge trail. It's odd that the ski report makes no mention of that trail -- you'd think they would count that one, especially since it's one of the only non-connector trails open!
fishnski
November 26, 2006
3,530 posts
You know Snowmakers, The way you highlighted that Trail map was excellent. All these trail names the resorts use are just a way to blow up the #'s! you showed a clear shot of just 1 run, not 3 or 5 runs they would have you believe.The only upgrade to your work should be to color the run in green,blue & Black as the terrain drops down.Thats how all trail maps should work.A real Terrain/topo Trail map should be the wave of the future!....Just to highlight a point...The 1st 50 to 60 vert drop off the powder monkey lift is actually a steep blue ...a blue + if you will. This is what a novice skier would have to traverse in order to get to the long green section.& then there will be a twist & a drop here & there that will not always be green or blue friendly as an old school trail map have you believe!
Mountain Masher
November 27, 2006
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
Hey fishnski, I tried to tell you that the Thanksgiving ski conditions at the Shoe wouldn't be any good, but you REFUSED to listen. Instead, you decided to live in a dream world and believe some of the other posters on this forum who talked about ideal snowmaking conditions and other nonsense. Just because a bunch of goofs have decided to give me a rating of one Star doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about.
skier219
November 27, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Just because a bunch of goofs have decided to give me a rating of one Star doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I don't think people gave you 1-star because they are goofs. And whether you know what you're talking about or not is a side issue -- I have no reason to doubt you (yet). Unfortunately, I think the manner in which you post and the negative attitude are the problems. Predictions of doom, gloating afterwards, and following up with an 'I told you so' are really not cool, regardless of the forum or topic. We could be talking about groceries and that attitude would still not be received well.

I think everybody here is anxious/excited to get the ski season going, and optimism is going to be the overwhelming theme whether you like it or not. You are certainly welcome to post your opinions, but you need to communicate more effectively if you want to get a point across.
Murphy
November 27, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Fishnski,

You description of the trail is pretty accurate. Most experienced skiers don't realize how intimidating that first 60' of vert can be to a newbie. My first trip to Snowshoe I took a never-ever at this time of year. I saw 3-4 greens so I thought it would be good. Little did I know that you had to go down a blue to get to those greens. He took one look at that drop and the sharp turn at the end and never even strapped his skies on.

Oh, and MM...Don't blame me for you single star. I gave you 5 of them big guy.
fishnski
November 27, 2006
3,530 posts
Hey No Snow brain, I said they FUMBLED the ball...They could have had 2 top to bottom runs working even with that coastal low that nobody could get a handle on cutting their last nite of snowmaking off. Anyway looks like I keep getting Demoted here. I think I even had 5 stars at one point! Thats all right..I'm a rebel & a Pirate & I'd rather have a few Skull & crossbones instead of these wussy stars!
fishnski
November 28, 2006
3,530 posts
Make that Skull & Crosski's..I got a patent on the design..anybody need any beltbuckles,T-shirts..Flags?...come in confederate & standard Colors! Might just be a southern thang...Now back to that TL Expansion thread...velly intelesting & more Important!
jimmy
November 29, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Hey fishnski, I tried to tell you that the Thanksgiving ski conditions at the Shoe wouldn't be any good, but you REFUSED to listen. Instead, you decided to live in a dream world and believe some of the other posters on this forum who talked about ideal snowmaking conditions and other nonsense. Just because a bunch of goofs have decided to give me a rating of one Star doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Yo Don Quiote who u callin a goof? UNOWUT? U can call me a dick prick or hick i don't care but don't call me a goof . Who skied last weekend? I'd rather hear from the folks who ACTUALLY skied last weekend..... UNOWUT? there's some windmills down on backbone mtn you could go tilt at for a while i'm still tryin to figure out the impending ice age the russians are predicting to begin in the next, what was it 35 years? Then you'll be too cold .

Dewd sorry, but if it doesn't snow TWELVE INCHES in CV this weekend i'm coming back for another pizza u .

It's kharma time.... would someone please give Mountain Masher some starz??
Snowmakers
November 29, 2006
222 posts
I gave you 5 stars for that post.

As for MM, I gave him a star. I guess he didnt like it.

Hey MM, you seem pretty negative to be on a snow forum. Are you sure you like to ski?
Or do you like 76 degrees and sunny?

Maybe you should be a pro meteorologist. With your prediction, im sure you would come out on top.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2006
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
At least some of you got to ski... I've got movers here in Philly crating, packing and crating and packing and crating and meanwhile Snowshoe is a distant thought... I will be there on the 8th though... Maybe the conditions will be better by then
Snowmakers
November 29, 2006
222 posts
Im going out on a limb.

80% of the basin will be open by then. Flying Eagle will too.
tromano
November 29, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

Im going out on a limb.

80% of the basin will be open by then. Flying Eagle will too.

I definitely see them getting some worth wile terrain open by then.
warren
November 30, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Snowmakers,
I like your thinking I'm there for the Holiday week (26th - 1st).
Let's keep up the good carma and the snow will come our way!
MM, no more negative thoughts or you'll upset Ullr

-Warren-
Ullr
November 30, 2006
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Quote:

Make that Skull & Crosski's..

Does it look like this?

I have had this one on my computer forever, but forgot where I got it from.........

Ullr
November 30, 2006
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Quote:

It's kharma time.... would someone please give Mountain Masher some starz??

After he 1 stared me??

Don't think so...............
TennesseeSkier
December 1, 2006
Member since 01/22/2006 🔗
25 posts
Just saw the accuweather forecast for next week. Temps look great all week long, even with a lil natural stuff too. Cant wait to get back and make some tracks. For those of you who have had the pleasure of starting their ski season, make a couple of turns for me. (I say that with a HEAVY tone of JEALOUSY)
fishnski
December 1, 2006
3,530 posts
There ya go buddy! Now you could get a bigger Skull with the ski's crossing thru it...background colors with endless posibilities ect. Now remember...I have the Patent on this...Any theft & profitering using this would be ....PIRACY!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?